Thread: Fiva Accident -- A Good Read

Fiva Accident -- A Good Read

I just finished reading: Fiva: An Adventure That Went Wrong by Gorden Stainforth.

It won a Banff Mountain Literature Award (2012) and it tells the story of twin 17-year-old brothers and their easy climb gone seriously wrong. It was written and published by one of the brothers 40 years after the events it describes, thus shinning the insightful light of maturity on the decisions and consequences that almost killed them both.

Given all the discussion, analysis, Monday Morning QBing, etc. that we here do about rescues in the Whites, I bet many of you might enjoy this well-written book.

Bottom line - Your only young once (thank god).

cb
    Last edited by ChrisB; 01-25-2017 at 08:40 PM.
    It's a long way to the top
    ... if you want to rock & roll

Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of Starr King Mt.
    Looks interesting, I just ordered it.
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48/48 NH 4000 Winter Ed with Duffy and Lauky
    48 X 4 including 1 winter Lauky
    48 X 6 Ed
    12 X 12 Belknaps with Lauky

Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of Starr King Mt.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    I just finished reading: Fiva: An Adventure That Went Wrong by Gorden Stainforth.

It won a Banff Mountain Literature Award (2012) and it tells the story of twin 17-year-old brothers and their easy climb gone seriously wrong. It was written and published by one of the brothers 40 years after the events it describes, thus shinning the insightful light of maturity on the decisions and consequences that almost killed them both.

Given all the discussion, analysis, Monday Morning QBing, etc. that we here do about rescues in the Whites, I bet many of you might enjoy this well-written book.

Bottom line - Your only young once (thank god).

cb
    I ordered the book, it arrived. I read a couple of pages then couldn't set it down. I was locked in. It's probably a good thing that every book I come across is not like this one or I probably wouldn't get anything else done. Highly recommended.
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48/48 NH 4000 Winter Ed with Duffy and Lauky
    48 X 4 including 1 winter Lauky
    48 X 6 Ed
    12 X 12 Belknaps with Lauky

Quote Originally Posted by Ed'n Lauky View Post
    I ordered the book, it arrived. I read a couple of pages then couldn't set it down. I was locked in. It's probably a good thing that every book I come across is not like this one or I probably wouldn't get anything else done. Highly recommended.
    Really glad you enjoyed it.

It struck me how those kids just sucked it up and dealt with the bad stuff in that pre-cell-phone era.

I know from reading Accidents in North American Mountaineering that cell phones also save lives. Like most technology that has entered our lives, a mixed bag at best.

cb
    It's a long way to the top
    ... if you want to rock & roll

Available on iTunes as an eBook for $9.99 - just downloaded.
    Thanks for the recommendation.