Telos / Williams Pond Road - Winter 2017

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know about access / use for Telos and Williams Pond Road this year? Anyone know who I can call to confirm that it is plowed, and where to park, etc.? It appears that this is almost always accessible and park-able based on 15+ year of trip reports, but I'd like to know for sure.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim, Telos Rd is routinely maintained/plowed. Williams Pond Rd (the classic 6-mile western approach ending at Nesowadnehunk) is typically not maintained, but sometimes broken out by snowmobiles when the park is doing work toward the northern reaches. You can check with the office now to learn of general plans for such work if any, as well as closer to your trip date for a final check. It may not be a single quick call, as sometimes the office doesn't have the pertinent info and they'll need to put you in touch with a ranger, which an take a day or 2. If projects aren't going on in the area, there's a possibility that it may be broken out by hikers ahead of you, but the office may not have the latest info on this. You can also lay down some of your own bets after taking a look at the reservation calendar. Of course, even with the best laid plans, Mother Nature can be devastatingly mischievous. I remember one year when a friend eagerly headed up with his group, pulks and all, and was met with a generous batch of fresh, waist-high powder. After a test of traversability yielded discouraging results, he just broke out laughing and headed home. Alex

Williams Pond Rd (the classic 6-mile western approach ending at Nesowadnehunk) is typically not maintained, but sometimes broken out by snowmobiles when the park is doing work toward the northern reaches.

We got lucky with the access via Williams Pond Road, not so lucky with the Marston Trail.

With the new cabin over there they might get more traffic.

FWIW, I looked at the reservation system and there are 8 bunks reserved the two days prior to our arrival, and 8 bunks reserved the preceding weekend. Then, after we leave, it's booked pretty much straight through the rest of winter.

Tim

FWIW, I looked at the reservation system and there are 8 bunks reserved the two days prior to our arrival, and 8 bunks reserved the preceding weekend. Then, after we leave, it's booked pretty much straight through the rest of winter.

The new bunkhouse seems to be a hit!