Thread: Telos / Williams Pond Road - Winter 2017

Telos / Williams Pond Road - Winter 2017

Anyone know about access / use for Telos and Williams Pond Road this year? Anyone know who I can call to confirm that it is plowed, and where to park, etc.? It appears that this is almost always accessible and park-able based on 15+ year of trip reports, but I'd like to know for sure.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Tim, Telos Rd is routinely maintained/plowed. Williams Pond Rd (the classic 6-mile western approach ending at Nesowadnehunk) is typically not maintained, but sometimes broken out by snowmobiles when the park is doing work toward the northern reaches. You can check with the office now to learn of general plans for such work if any, as well as closer to your trip date for a final check. It may not be a single quick call, as sometimes the office doesn't have the pertinent info and they'll need to put you in touch with a ranger, which an take a day or 2. If projects aren't going on in the area, there's a possibility that it may be broken out by hikers ahead of you, but the office may not have the latest info on this. You can also lay down some of your own bets after taking a look at the reservation calendar. Of course, even with the best laid plans, Mother Nature can be devastatingly mischievous. I remember one year when a friend eagerly headed up with his group, pulks and all, and was met with a generous batch of fresh, waist-high powder. After a test of traversability yielded discouraging results, he just broke out laughing and headed home. Alex

Quote Originally Posted by alexmtn View Post
    Williams Pond Rd (the classic 6-mile western approach ending at Nesowadnehunk) is typically not maintained, but sometimes broken out by snowmobiles when the park is doing work toward the northern reaches.
    We got lucky with the access via Williams Pond Road, not so lucky with the Marston Trail.

With the new cabin over there they might get more traffic.
    Reaching the summit is optional, getting down is mandatory. (Ed Viesturs)

Three-Season 4K: NH 4K Grid #69, ADK 46, NH 48 x 13, New England 67 X 2, & Northeast 115
    Winter 4K: ADK 40/46, NH 48 x 3, New England 67/67, & Northeast 107/115
    Others: CO 14ers 24/58, NEHH 96/100, Catskills 7/35
    Trail Adopter: Caps Ridge Trail from Trailhead to Summit of Jefferson
    Organizer: Random Group of Hikers (www.meetup.com/rndmhkrs)

FWIW, I looked at the reservation system and there are 8 bunks reserved the two days prior to our arrival, and 8 bunks reserved the preceding weekend. Then, after we leave, it's booked pretty much straight through the rest of winter.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    FWIW, I looked at the reservation system and there are 8 bunks reserved the two days prior to our arrival, and 8 bunks reserved the preceding weekend. Then, after we leave, it's booked pretty much straight through the rest of winter.
    The new bunkhouse seems to be a hit!
    Reaching the summit is optional, getting down is mandatory. (Ed Viesturs)

Three-Season 4K: NH 4K Grid #69, ADK 46, NH 48 x 13, New England 67 X 2, & Northeast 115
    Winter 4K: ADK 40/46, NH 48 x 3, New England 67/67, & Northeast 107/115
    Others: CO 14ers 24/58, NEHH 96/100, Catskills 7/35
    Trail Adopter: Caps Ridge Trail from Trailhead to Summit of Jefferson
    Organizer: Random Group of Hikers (www.meetup.com/rndmhkrs)

The new bunkhouse isn't yet available in the winter am I right? At least that is what the ranger told as at Chimney Pond last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by akafuzzjones View Post
    The new bunkhouse seems to be a hit!
    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

It's available. https://reservation.baxterstatepark.org/ and pick Nesowadnehunk. You can see

#One Space Bunk House

times 8 rows.

Tim