Heel blister problem

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sematary

Reaction score
So, back in November I bought some Jefferson Summit boots to go with my Black Diamond spikes and I ran into an issue immediately - Blisters (bad ones). I tried various things but the blisters continue. Someone suggested Lycra socks (I was talking to them last week while on Monadnock). I received them yesterday. I don't know if they'll work or not until I actually get on a mountain I suppose but do any of you have any other suggestions as to how I could possibly prevent this terrible tragedy from occurring or if you've used these Lycra socks - do you where them by themselves or over/under regular socks?

I have a wide flat (low volume) foot, so heel blisters have always been an issue for me. The following things have helped (in different footwear at different times)

1) Lacing my boots differently
1a) I've put a double-twist in the boot laces between the foot and the ankle, this lets me cinch down the instep/ankle, while leaving the foot at a reasonable tension
1b) I've also done a method to add an eyelet above the last eyelet and the first "speed hook". Instead of crossing over after the last eyelet into the speed hooks, instead go straight up (on both sides), then loop the laces underneath and back through the speed hook (let me know if you need a picture of this).

2) Wearing my ankle braces - This will get the same benefit as the lycra sock you mentioned

3) Taking up volume in the boot in the instep and ankle - I'll add a piece of foam or other soft material under the laces so that the tension drives my foot down and back into the heel cup rather than having room to float around

4) Pre-taping using the self adhesive moleskin - I cut cut a dog-bone shaped pad (maybe 2x3") and put it on my heel. It covers more surface area than necessary, but the larger pad means more adhesive which makes it stay put longer.

Heel blisters generally mean that the heel is not sitting far enough back in the boot. I end up having to go up a size in boots to get enough width so it happens to me on occasion. Going to a high volume insert sometimes helps but I usually have to glue in a foam insert inside the tongue of the boots to move my foot back. I have seen commercially available inserts but I have some high closed cell foam left over from kayak seats and usually just customize an insert with my bandsaw. I glue the insert inside the tongue and that positions my foot back in the boot and my heel issues go away.

So, two of you have mentioned pushing the foot back via lacing/foam. Can you show me a screenshot? That doesn't create pressure in that angle between the top of your foot and your ankle?
I had tried on a half size smaller when I was at EMS but those were too tight so ended up going with these. I have to figure out something because, you know, this stuff is super painful, but I had to just get rid of a pair of boots - especially ones that cost as much as these.

The tongue insert is definitely the second more radical fix. The source of the heel blisters is that your heel is moving relative to the boot there most likely is a gap between the heel and the back of the boot. If you try to crank down on the lacing what inevitably happens is the gap between the rows of eyelets will go away near the front of the boot and the heel will most likely still be loose. The tying technique isolates the front of the boot from the upper of the boot which is what should locate your heel against the back of the boot. Putting a pad under the upper flap will tend to slide the foot back. I would recommend that you start out with double sided foam tape to hold the foam insert in place. its going to take some experimenting , its easy to put too much pressure on tendons so you will need to shape the pad. I used a belt sander once I cut the pad to taper the edges.

Note a good podiatrist can usually fashion up pads and fit a boot. Its not cheap but beats trial and error. If you just plain have weird feet you can always visit a custom bootmaker.

Blisters are such a drag, sorry you are dealing with such things right before your time in the Whites. Sometimes it is not worth the struggle and you may need to start over with boots that simply fit you better. However, don't do that until you've tried every combination of socks you can find! What works tolerably well for me is greasing up my feet with a whole lot of BodyGlide, which you will find at any running supply store. SmartWool knock-offs and/or Darn Tough socks are all I use, and I recommend them frequently. But, for me, they are useless without first using the BodyGlide. You could also try A&D or just Vaseline too to decrease friction. I feel like BodyGlide may last a little longer but that maybe my imagination. Also, of note, many (most?) of my ultrarunner friends are using thin Injinji socks these days. Not sure they'd be enough protection with boots like yours, but maybe they would make a good first layer.

Lycra socks are an interesting idea and worth a shot, but it would not be my first recommendation because 1) Lycra is thick and might mess with the boots' fit and 2) Lycra holds a lot of heat and blister formation accelerates with increased skin temperature. Maybe you could post and let us know how they work for you?

I really like the idea of padding the tongue. Sounds like some experimentation may be in order. Again, if you try, would love to hear if that works and what material you use.

One other thing to consider, which may not be helpful in this case, but is worth mentioning: Electrolyte/hydration issues are worth taking seriously, especially if you are blister-prone. If your blood cells don't have access to enough salt (whether from sweating a bunch or over-hydrating - even very slightly - and throwing off the ratio), they will off-load water in order to maintain the correct salt concentration. Where does that water end up? In hangs out in the extracellular space and causes trouble. Most of it ends up in the extremities, thanks to gravity. This is why sometimes it's hard to make a fist in the middle of a long sweaty hike.

As for your feet, they would have trouble making a fist too, if that was on their agenda. Instead, their troubles are most apparent in between the layers of their moisture-laden skin. More moisture means more movement between skin layers, increase in edema, and indeed more heat. Add in the mechanical stress of foot against boot against trail, and you are inviting all kinds of fresh blister hell. (FYI There is a great section on blisters in "Training Essentials For Ultrarunning" by Jason Koop, he talks about all this stuff.)

Hopefully you are just a pair of socks away from relief... and hopefully your skin recovers soon enough that you will have time to do some test hikes this week. Peace!

Last edited:
Here are the two things that have worked for me:

1.) Leukotape

It's a god-send for those of us who are blister prone, and while it may not prevent all discomfort, it should prevent blistering. Definitely apply it to problem areas before heading out for a hike, preferably on clean and dry skin. The adhesive is such that you can leave it on for days, which is great if you're thru-hiking or multi-day backpacking. Get some, and thank me later. :)

2.) Wrightsock double layer socks

These are likewise worth their weight in gold. The idea is that the two layers "absorb" friction by sliding past each other, and not transmitting the force to your skin. In warmer weather, I wear just a pair of the low quarter socks with my trail runners, and have no problems on long days, even walking through stream crossings. In the cold, I wear the same low quarter socks, but wear a heavy wool sock (if hiking/xc skiing) or ski sock (if alpine/backcountry skiing) over them.

Since switching to these socks, and using Leukotape if necessary (some of my footwear causes more issues than others, sometimes none at all), I've had ZERO blister issues. Perhaps some tenderness in the heel if it's been rubbing, or on a long hike/run, but overall no problems.

Hope some of these suggestions help you out!

Keep in mind, the way blisters develop is through the movement of skin against a rough surface, creating friction and eventually separation of the layers of skin. If there is no rubbing between your boot and your foot skin, you won't get blisters. Similarly, if you reduce the friction at the points where your foot is rubbing, you won't get blisters.

So, one other thing to try: vapor barriers (i.e. plastic grocery bags), in combination with copious amounts of Body Glide applied to the affected area. The plastic bags will provide a smooth surface for your foot to slide against, so that there is much less friction between your boot and your skin. What little friction there is can be mitigated with the body glide. Good luck!

I had the same trouble with many different boots. Tried sock liners and they didn't help.
What I did find that helped was to use one of these Dr Shoals heel lifter/supports.
It kept my foot from moving up and down within the boot.
heel-lift.jpg

A couple of earlier replies have mentioned BodyGlide as part of your solution. That has always worked well for me for both hiking and running. When I started hiking, I didn't use it and I got blisters on my feet on almost every hike. Then I started using it on my feet before every hike and now I rarely get blisters.

A couple of earlier replies have mentioned BodyGlide as part of your solution. That has always worked well for me for both hiking and running. When I started hiking, I didn't use it and I got blisters on my feet on almost every hike. Then I started using it on my feet before every hike and now I rarely get blisters.

For those that are tired of body glides pricing model, I've found the gold bond alternative works just as well and is half the cost.