Mt. Cube Ski Touring Center

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcskier

Reaction score
Ashfield, Mass. Avatar: Homage to a friend
I'm curious what the history is of this location that popped up using Garmin's MapSource software. I assume it has some basis in reality but is no longer in existence just like the location of the "DOC Camp" near the Baker Rd. Cross Rivendell trailhead that also shows up using the same software.
MCTC.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding the camp, DOC had a shelter at the west base of Cube from 1913 to 1938. In 1914, another shelter was constructed partway up the west side of the mountain. Other shelters were built in 1926, 1939, 1940 and the late 1980s (today's Hexacuba Shelter).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xMQt0PwFw8vuVwMLzVFTwI0k1TwX66AM4Ht6aeQaMiM/edit

No idea on the ski touring center, but by your map, it's indicated as being along the former route of the AT, before it was moved onto the Mt. Cube Trail.

Um, that map also shows Mt. Cube in the Green Mountain National Forest. NELSAP only lists one area in Orford, much further west.

All Googling for "Mt. Cube Ski Touring Center" shows up is the usual auto-generated babble. It is in the USGS database, both the 12/2016 version and the 2/2009 one I have hanging around. So it snuck into the GNIS database at some point. I'm not seeing a way to pull old databases. The DOC page on Cube mentions skiing up the east slopes.

EDIT: Steve Smith's Cube writeup doesn't mention skiing, just that the old AT route came down the north slope. (I don't recall the origin of that writeup; I think he may have been working on a 52WAV book in the vein of the 4000-footer book.)

Last edited:
I did come across this from a Feb. 2000 Chicago Tribune reference (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2000-02-20/travel/0002200078_1_maple-syrup-sugar-shacks-maple-sugar/3)

"Finally, former New Hamsphire Gov. Meldrim Thompson himself boils and barrels maple syrup for visitors to his Mt. Cube cross-country ski touring center and farm (603-353-4709). A daily pancake breakfast ($3-$4) is served from 9 a.m. to noon in the wood-stove-heated country dining room, with smaller "bunny pancakes" available for children. Mt. Cube can be found on New Hampshire Highway 25A between Interstate Highways 91 and 93, northeast of Lebanon."

I am somewhat surprised Thompson even ran a cross-country ski touring center (a bit redundant) since I would have pictured him as more of the internal combustion kind of recreator.

I don't remember just when it closed but guessing early 90's. I used to ski there a lot in the eighties as it was close to home. Somewhat small but the trails were always nicely groomed and a half day pass would set you back something like 2 bucks. I wish it was still open.

I love Mount Cube! Mount Cube Farm is still a going concern and taps maple trees on slopes of Mount Cube. They are open weekends when the sap is running and offer free sample mini-pancakes with some syrup in a cup. They have a very handsome sap boiler and you can go in back to watch it work. The view of Moosilauke and Benton Range from the parking lot is very fine. I read on Wikipedia where Governor Thomson used to serve pancake breakfast at state house by way of political shmoozing and fostering good relations. Our US congress might consider such an idea.

I don't remember just when it closed but guessing early 90's. I used to ski there a lot in the eighties as it was close to home. Somewhat small but the trails were always nicely groomed and a half day pass would set you back something like 2 bucks. I wish it was still open.

Apropos of the NELSAP reference by jneihof, is there a database for lost nordic ski areas that exists anywhere?

I am somewhat surprised Thompson even ran a cross-country ski touring center (a bit redundant) since I would have pictured him as more of the internal combustion kind of recreator.

Actually Gov. Thomson finished his NH48 back around 1978 when he was still the Governor. I received my NH48 certificate back at the 1979 annual meeting at AMC HQ on Joy St. There were only about 50 people in the audience compared to about 600 nowadays. In those days, they called out everyone's name whether they were there or not. Mel's name was called but he was a no show.

Was that right by the end of Quinntown Road, where it turns sharp right and crosses the brook? Skiing on the old woods roads, or actual ski trails?