Threats to public lands

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LavaFalls

Reaction score
All:

Republicans in congress are pushing two resolutions that would take away guidelines the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) uses to preserve lands for recreation. The two resolutions. SJ Res 15 and HJ Res 44 will be voted on this week. Call/email your senators and representatives to vote against these. The assault on public lands has begun. It's not the Whites or Maine or the "Dacks"...but it's areas we all hiked/camp/canoed and appreciate. It's time to start pushing back.
Lavafalls.

Thank you for the alert, LavaFalls. Can you provide us with a link or references so we can read these resolutions before we contact our congresspeople? Thank you.

Hmmm. I see that HJ Res-44 is sponsored by a representative from WY, a state that is undoubtedly greatly affected by BLM and this change. Please explain your objections.

Last edited:
The subject matter is certainly on-topic for the forum. Let's keep partisan politics out of the discussion.

Too late - read the base note. It would be nice if the original poster would edit it to remove the partisanship.

Thank you for the alert, LavaFalls. Can you provide us with a link or references so we can read these resolutions before we contact our congresspeople?

A search on SJ Res 15 got me this link:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-joint-resolution/15

The text is very short, so I will include it here:

JOINT RESOLUTION

Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the final rule submitted by the Director of the Bureau of Land Management relating to resource management planning.

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That Congress disapproves the final rule submitted by the Director of the Bureau of Land Management relating to resource management planning (81 Fed. Reg. 89580 (December 12, 2016)), and such rule shall have no force or effect.

--------------

I think this is part of a more general effort for the Congress to get rid of many unnecessary rules made by unelected bureaucrats. I think it is worth noting that, if I am correct, under the rule cited in the resolution, if passed, not only would the rule be done away with, but the agency would be prohibited from making a similar rule in the future.

A search for 81 Fed. Reg. 89580, the actual rule to be done away with by the resolution, found me this link:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/12/12/2016-28724/resource-management-planning

I think it claims to be something like 90+ pages long. I skimmed through it, so I can't claim to have read it in detail, but so far I haven't seen anything that is vital for the future of the nation. Perhaps the original poster can explain what in this rule is so vital, so we can make up our own minds.

TomK

All:
Go to OutdoorAlliance.com. They have page set up that explains what the resolutions would do. It also has links to find your senators and reps. Apology for the partisanship.

Yeah, nothing to see, move along. They are only voting for it to help the environment and eliminate unnecessary rules. ;-)

Too late - read the base note. It would be nice if the original poster would edit it to remove the partisanship.

A search on SJ Res 15 got me this link:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-joint-resolution/15

The text is very short, so I will include it here:

JOINT RESOLUTION

Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the final rule submitted by the Director of the Bureau of Land Management relating to resource management planning.

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That Congress disapproves the final rule submitted by the Director of the Bureau of Land Management relating to resource management planning (81 Fed. Reg. 89580 (December 12, 2016)), and such rule shall have no force or effect.

--------------

I think this is part of a more general effort for the Congress to get rid of many unnecessary rules made by unelected bureaucrats. I think it is worth noting that, if I am correct, under the rule cited in the resolution, if passed, not only would the rule be done away with, but the agency would be prohibited from making a similar rule in the future.

A search for 81 Fed. Reg. 89580, the actual rule to be done away with by the resolution, found me this link:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2016/12/12/2016-28724/resource-management-planning

I think it claims to be something like 90+ pages long. I skimmed through it, so I can't claim to have read it in detail, but so far I haven't seen anything that is vital for the future of the nation. Perhaps the original poster can explain what in this rule is so vital, so we can make up our own minds.

TomK

Regardless of parisanship, I DO think it is incumbent upon all of us as people who enjoy and cherish the outdoors, to be aware of legislation which may affect that enjoyment. Thanks for the heads up on outdoor alliance.