Thread: Threats to public lands

Threats to public lands

All:

Republicans in congress are pushing two resolutions that would take away guidelines the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) uses to preserve lands for recreation. The two resolutions. SJ Res 15 and HJ Res 44 will be voted on this week. Call/email your senators and representatives to vote against these. The assault on public lands has begun. It's not the Whites or Maine or the "Dacks"...but it's areas we all hiked/camp/canoed and appreciate. It's time to start pushing back.
    Lavafalls.

Thank you for the alert, LavaFalls. Can you provide us with a link or references so we can read these resolutions before we contact our congresspeople? Thank you.

Hmmm. I see that HJ Res-44 is sponsored by a representative from WY, a state that is undoubtedly greatly affected by BLM and this change. Please explain your objections.
    Last edited by maineguy; 02-07-2017 at 12:20 PM.

The subject matter is certainly on-topic for the forum. Let's keep partisan politics out of the discussion.

Thanks
    Tim

Home: Northwest CT / Avatar: Madison 1985
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    The subject matter is certainly on-topic for the forum. Let's keep partisan politics out of the discussion.
    Too late - read the base note. It would be nice if the original poster would edit it to remove the partisanship.

Quote Originally Posted by Creag Nan Drochaid View Post
    Thank you for the alert, LavaFalls. Can you provide us with a link or references so we can read these resolutions before we contact our congresspeople?
    A search on SJ Res 15 got me this link:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...-resolution/15

The text is very short, so I will include it here:

JOINT RESOLUTION

Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the final rule submitted by the Director of the Bureau of Land Management relating to resource management planning.

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That Congress disapproves the final rule submitted by the Director of the Bureau of Land Management relating to resource management planning (81 Fed. Reg. 89580 (December 12, 2016)), and such rule shall have no force or effect.

--------------

I think this is part of a more general effort for the Congress to get rid of many unnecessary rules made by unelected bureaucrats. I think it is worth noting that, if I am correct, under the rule cited in the resolution, if passed, not only would the rule be done away with, but the agency would be prohibited from making a similar rule in the future.

A search for 81 Fed. Reg. 89580, the actual rule to be done away with by the resolution, found me this link:

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ement-planning

I think it claims to be something like 90+ pages long. I skimmed through it, so I can't claim to have read it in detail, but so far I haven't seen anything that is vital for the future of the nation. Perhaps the original poster can explain what in this rule is so vital, so we can make up our own minds.

TomK
    Never loved your plains, your gentle valleys/Your drowsy country lanes and pleached alleys.
    I want my hills, the trail that scorns the hollow/Up, up the ragged shale where few will follow.

High on my hills of dream, dear hills that know me/And then how fair will seem the lands below me
    How pure at vesper time, the far bells chiming/God, give me strength to climb, and hills for climbing. "Hills" - Arthur Guiterman

All:
    Go to OutdoorAlliance.com. They have page set up that explains what the resolutions would do. It also has links to find your senators and reps. Apology for the partisanship.

Yeah, nothing to see, move along. They are only voting for it to help the environment and eliminate unnecessary rules. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    Too late - read the base note. It would be nice if the original poster would edit it to remove the partisanship.

A search on SJ Res 15 got me this link:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...-resolution/15

The text is very short, so I will include it here:

JOINT RESOLUTION

Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the final rule submitted by the Director of the Bureau of Land Management relating to resource management planning.

Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That Congress disapproves the final rule submitted by the Director of the Bureau of Land Management relating to resource management planning (81 Fed. Reg. 89580 (December 12, 2016)), and such rule shall have no force or effect.

--------------

I think this is part of a more general effort for the Congress to get rid of many unnecessary rules made by unelected bureaucrats. I think it is worth noting that, if I am correct, under the rule cited in the resolution, if passed, not only would the rule be done away with, but the agency would be prohibited from making a similar rule in the future.

A search for 81 Fed. Reg. 89580, the actual rule to be done away with by the resolution, found me this link:

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ement-planning

I think it claims to be something like 90+ pages long. I skimmed through it, so I can't claim to have read it in detail, but so far I haven't seen anything that is vital for the future of the nation. Perhaps the original poster can explain what in this rule is so vital, so we can make up our own minds.

TomK
    Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

Regardless of parisanship, I DO think it is incumbent upon all of us as people who enjoy and cherish the outdoors, to be aware of legislation which may affect that enjoyment. Thanks for the heads up on outdoor alliance.

This article comes from a trusted source. I agree with Sematary that actual legislation will have a sizeable effect on our enjoyment of the outdoors.

http://www.mensjournal.com/adventure...nd-use-w466008
    AMC Region Leader, Carrigain
    Adopter, Shoal Pond Trail - Stillwater Jct. to mile 2.4