Snow up in the north Country

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Finally starting to look like winter up north. We may not have been right in the crosshairs for the recent two big Northeasters but Saturdays clipper was an 8 inch event and I expect a solid 12" from the most recent storm as of Monday. Whomever is out breaking trails this week are going to earn their pay. Those "wimpy" climbing snowshoes will be outmatched ;). Time to get out the powder shoes or at minimum tails if they are available for your climbing shoes. I was stranded in Boston for the storm last Thursday but heading home late on Friday there did seem to be bit of consolidated snow on top of the recent snow which means potential for snow slabs from the most recent storms. The softwoods are loaded with powder and expect those without a hood are going to get a few snow dumps down the collar.

Definitely not a record breaker yet. I guess my jinx of buying a snowblower last winter has passed.

Looking like this current system is going to produce some pretty deep snow, too. I'm guessing with the 24" that fell last weekend and the additional 18" predicted from this storm, there's going to be some old school trailbreaking going on this weekend.

I expect 3 to 4 feet of fresh snow since the 9th is not going to be unusual. Probably not a great weekend for fast and light trip to Isolation

I expect 3 to 4 feet of fresh snow since the 9th is not going to be unusual. Probably not a great weekend for fast and light trip to Isolation

I was hoping to do Isolation this weekend. :(

I have done a Isolation trip in the past with group of 4 folks where we had to break out the entire route with the exception of about 1 mile at the beginning. Long day

I have done a Isolation trip in the past with group of 4 folks where we had to break out the entire route with the exception of about 1 mile at the beginning. Long day

I'll be alone. I can go SAT or SUN this weekend so I guess I'll hold off until SUN and bring the powder shoes. Have to see if the lot is cleared too or I'll be DOA anyway.

Hi can anyone comment on the snow coverage on the Lincoln Woods XC ski trails on both sides of the Pemi?

This is relatively "southern" in the Whites region--so I am curious whether Lincoln area also got a dumping....?

MWOBS is reporting over 4' in the past 5 days on Washington with 38" on the ground as yesterday. Forecast for some very high winds across the region over the next few days should make for some truly incredible drifting out on the trails. Could be a tough hiking weekend.

Its only tough if you elect to go ;). Given its a holiday week, there will be lots of folks with it hard scheduled on their calendar that will show up no matter what the forecast hoping the conditions will be better than the forecast.

I will point out this is the second anniversary of Kate Montrosova's death which is a classic case of pressing on regardless of the forecast. Realistically this upcoming two week period seems to be the peak of folks getting in trouble.

snow reports on TrailsNH.com

Most of the snow reports mentioned above, and the two snow depth estimate maps are also available on TrailsNH.com. See the "Weather Options" in the top left corner of the maps page. You can use snow reports from the huts and XC centers to validate the snow depths maps from NOAA and NERFC.

Natural snow reports are included from:
- AMC huts and MWO
- RMC
- SnoCountry XC Centers
- NH Snowmobile Trail conditions
- MT Washington Avalanche Center

attachment.php

snowdepth.jpg

Last edited: