Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow up in the north Country

Snow up in the north Country

Finally starting to look like winter up north. We may not have been right in the crosshairs for the recent two big Northeasters but Saturdays clipper was an 8 inch event and I expect a solid 12" from the most recent storm as of Monday. Whomever is out breaking trails this week are going to earn their pay. Those "wimpy" climbing snowshoes will be outmatched . Time to get out the powder shoes or at minimum tails if they are available for your climbing shoes. I was stranded in Boston for the storm last Thursday but heading home late on Friday there did seem to be bit of consolidated snow on top of the recent snow which means potential for snow slabs from the most recent storms. The softwoods are loaded with powder and expect those without a hood are going to get a few snow dumps down the collar.

Definitely not a record breaker yet. I guess my jinx of buying a snowblower last winter has passed.

This site is updated daily, with running totals.
    It's for Lisbon and I haven't found a similar site for further north and east yet, though I'd like to.

http://www.nhweatherdata.com/snowfalllogs.html
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    This site is updated daily, with running totals.
    It's for Lisbon and I haven't found a similar site for further north and east yet, though I'd like to.

http://www.nhweatherdata.com/snowfalllogs.html

This is snow cover. I cannot attest to its accuracy.

https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/snow_mod...5_National.jpg

Looking like this current system is going to produce some pretty deep snow, too. I'm guessing with the 24" that fell last weekend and the additional 18" predicted from this storm, there's going to be some old school trailbreaking going on this weekend.
    Sure. Why not.

I expect 3 to 4 feet of fresh snow since the 9th is not going to be unusual. Probably not a great weekend for fast and light trip to Isolation

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I expect 3 to 4 feet of fresh snow since the 9th is not going to be unusual. Probably not a great weekend for fast and light trip to Isolation
    I was hoping to do Isolation this weekend.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 44/48; NY 46: 3/46

I have done a Isolation trip in the past with group of 4 folks where we had to break out the entire route with the exception of about 1 mile at the beginning. Long day

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I have done a Isolation trip in the past with group of 4 folks where we had to break out the entire route with the exception of about 1 mile at the beginning. Long day
    I'll be alone. I can go SAT or SUN this weekend so I guess I'll hold off until SUN and bring the powder shoes. Have to see if the lot is cleared too or I'll be DOA anyway.

Hi can anyone comment on the snow coverage on the Lincoln Woods XC ski trails on both sides of the Pemi?

This is relatively "southern" in the Whites region--so I am curious whether Lincoln area also got a dumping....?
    New Hampshire 48 x 2

I'm in Andover Maine today where there is more than 6 feet of snow on the ground. Most I've seen in a long time.
    This image is pretty accurate--if anything it underestimates what has fallen in the last 12 hours.
    http://www.weather.gov/images/nerfc/ops/sf1_today.jpg

Here, this one'll give you a better idea of the overall snowfall: http://www.weather.gov/images/nerfc/ops/sd1_today.jpg

Hopefully heading up to NH this weekend. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhody Seth View Post
    Here, this one'll give you a better idea of the overall snowfall: http://www.weather.gov/images/nerfc/ops/sd1_today.jpg

Hopefully heading up to NH this weekend. Can't wait!
    From what I know to be true currently, this map looks pretty accurate. I will save the link. Thanks.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

MWOBS is reporting over 4' in the past 5 days on Washington with 38" on the ground as yesterday. Forecast for some very high winds across the region over the next few days should make for some truly incredible drifting out on the trails. Could be a tough hiking weekend.

Its only tough if you elect to go . Given its a holiday week, there will be lots of folks with it hard scheduled on their calendar that will show up no matter what the forecast hoping the conditions will be better than the forecast.

I will point out this is the second anniversary of Kate Montrosova's death which is a classic case of pressing on regardless of the forecast. Realistically this upcoming two week period seems to be the peak of folks getting in trouble.