Mount Monadnock February 14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sematary

Reaction score
So, with all the snow, needless to say, most of the trails are unbroken (as of yesterday anyway). The White dot is broken but not quite packed snow yet - easy to hike on though as far as that goes. That was how I descended.
I ascended via Cascade Link and Red Spot and while there had been someone on those trails using snowshoes - within a day or two previously, much of their tracks were obliterated by the drifting that occurred Monday and, on occasion, I could see where they actually missed the trail. Needless to say, I essentially ended up breaking the trail - often thigh deep in the snow as I went. It took me over 3 hours to complete a 2.6 mile ascent that normally takes me less than 90 minutes but it's broken. :)
At the time of my hike, it appeared that all other trails were untouched. Even White Cross hadn't been broken yet so lots of snow to deal with.
I'm not a snow shoe person. I don't like them and if it were a longer hike, I might have considered carrying them but then again, I don't think I'd be breaking trail on a mountain I'm not as familiar with, so there's that. Regardless, if you're planning on going there, be prepared to break trail if you go on one of the less frequented trails.

So, I was up there again yesterday. White Dot is pretty well packed at this point. It looks like someone finally went up the Cross and it also looks like a couple more people (at least) went across Cascade link but both of those are still pretty much just loose powder.