Forest Service maps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jniehof

Reaction score
Very "general" backcountry because I don't think anybody in the northeast uses these things...but has anybody figured out what bizarre logic goes into the folding pattern of the USFS maps? It's not accordian, it's not repeated-halves or anything like that, it's just...WEIRD. I just made the mistake of opening one up without taking notes and it'll never be properly folded again. I'm not just griping here: if anybody can figure out the pattern and/or explain the reason, I'll have a ghost of a chance of refolding them properly rather than wadding them up in a ball.

Very "general" backcountry because I don't think anybody in the northeast uses these things...but has anybody figured out what bizarre logic goes into the folding pattern of the USFS maps? It's not accordian, it's not repeated-halves or anything like that, it's just...WEIRD. I just made the mistake of opening one up without taking notes and it'll never be properly folded again. I'm not just griping here: if anybody can figure out the pattern and/or explain the reason, I'll have a ghost of a chance of refolding them properly rather than wadding them up in a ball.

We can crowd source this. Just keep posting pictures of the map with each x and y axis labeled and we'll figure it out. :)

Also, I just saw this, which might be relevant: http://www.pbs.org/video/2365955827/

Last edited: