Thread: Forest Service maps

Forest Service maps

Very "general" backcountry because I don't think anybody in the northeast uses these things...but has anybody figured out what bizarre logic goes into the folding pattern of the USFS maps? It's not accordian, it's not repeated-halves or anything like that, it's just...WEIRD. I just made the mistake of opening one up without taking notes and it'll never be properly folded again. I'm not just griping here: if anybody can figure out the pattern and/or explain the reason, I'll have a ghost of a chance of refolding them properly rather than wadding them up in a ball.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by jniehof View Post
    Very "general" backcountry because I don't think anybody in the northeast uses these things...but has anybody figured out what bizarre logic goes into the folding pattern of the USFS maps? It's not accordian, it's not repeated-halves or anything like that, it's just...WEIRD. I just made the mistake of opening one up without taking notes and it'll never be properly folded again. I'm not just griping here: if anybody can figure out the pattern and/or explain the reason, I'll have a ghost of a chance of refolding them properly rather than wadding them up in a ball.
    We can crowd source this. Just keep posting pictures of the map with each x and y axis labeled and we'll figure it out.

Also, I just saw this, which might be relevant: http://www.pbs.org/video/2365955827/
    Last edited by TJsName; 02-17-2017 at 06:04 PM.
    | 59.4% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail (Pemi District)