Rattle River Trail to Mt. Moriah - anyone have info on trail conditions there?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sematary

Reaction score
I'm heading up in the morning to hike moriah. I had seen a trail report that said that coming up Carter Moriah over Mt Surprise required snow shoes so I was wondering how Rattle River might look - any better? Is it at least used since it is part of the AT? Would I require snow shoes anyway?

Mod Note
Moved from Trail Conditions to Q&A, since people can't respond in Trail Conditions.

With all the new snow this week, you will want snowshoes on any trail you hike. The Rattle River Trail seems to be the more popular approach to Sheburne Moriah, so even if Rattle River appears broken, the stretch on the Kenduskeag to Moriah might not be. Good luck!

Hard to imagine not needing snow shoes anywhere this weekend with 4+' the past 5 days and lots of wind to create drifts. Lots of reports past few days say even after passage on snowshoes the snow is not consolidated. If you put a gun to my head and forced me to pick a trail that might be packed out I'd go with Stony Brook. I believe it is the more popular route because of parking situation, which can be an issue on the side street that Carter-Moriah leaves from in Gorham. It's parking lot is right off Rte 16 so even if it isn't plowed yet you can probably still park (and there is a small development with parking just up that road that skips roughly 1 mile off the Stony Brook Trail and might be better for parking too). I don't know that Rattle River Trail gets a lot of action in Winter and whether the little lot for it gets plowed.

All just a guess based on second hand information I've read elsewhere but if it was me I'd go via Stony Brook for my best shot at a packed track and the ability to park a car.