View Reservations At AMC Huts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Is there a way to view the amount of reservations taken/open at an AMC Hut, i.e 16 of 24 bunks booked SAT, 3 of 24 SUN, etc? I tried to check availability at Zealand Hut today but if it is within a few days it says to call. The reason I ask is to help determine how well the trail may be broken to the hut. In other words if the Hut is packed full on SAT night (and most people don't cancel) then one would suspect the road walk and trail to Zealand Hut would at least be somewhat broken out. The conditions section for the hut just references somewhat broken but powdery and drifts.

In the absence of trip reports for a given area I figured this might be a somewhat useful way of assessing conditions indirectly for routes to open huts like Zealand. I'd imagine you could call too but it appears that the caretaker is not there for the entire day so that could be hit or miss depending on time frame of a hike planned. If there is such a way let me know.

For what it's worth I drove by Zealand Rd. on Saturday afternoon and there were lots of cars parked across the street and what looked like a large group of people hiking in. I bet if you called AMC reservations they could give you some info.

For what it's worth I drove by Zealand Rd. on Saturday afternoon and there were lots of cars parked across the street and what looked like a large group of people hiking in. I bet if you called AMC reservations they could give you some info.

I wound up attempting Zealand Sunday. I figured with the holiday, the popularity of the hut, etc there was a good chance there would be a good track at least to the hut and possibly the overlook. And there was indeed, only it dead ended about 1/2 mile beyond the outlook so I would have had to break trail alone for about 1.5 miles to reach summit. I was already behind schedule so I bailed out. Caretaker said she had a full night booked for SUN night.

I wound up attempting Zealand Sunday. I figured with the holiday, the popularity of the hut, etc there was a good chance there would be a good track at least to the hut and possibly the overlook. And there was indeed, only it dead ended about 1/2 mile beyond the outlook so I would have had to break trail alone for about 1.5 miles to reach summit. I was already behind schedule so I bailed out. Caretaker said she had a full night booked for SUN night.

I can't believe with all the guest staying at the Hut, the trail to Zealand is not broken out. What are they doing there?:eek:

I can't believe with all the guest staying at the Hut, the trail to Zealand is not broken out. What are they doing there?:eek:

I was surprised too but I guess most people are stopping at the outlook. Just about every trail in the area had a decent track: Sugarloaf, Hale Brook, Ethan Pond, Lend A Hand and A-Z Trail all looked like more than a few people had been on them. Guess there just weren't many "list folk" out that weekend.