Massive heat wave coming to North Conway area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this is the 3rd, potentially 12+ inch snowstorm forecasted since I made my prediction? After this weekend, Winter will be over. Yeah, I know, I dont care what the calendar says. Its still Winter if Im still snowshoing.

I stayed in CT all winter except for hiking to the top of Pats Peak when the woods were snow free. I've not worn snowshoes yet for 16-17. Since I may get north the 2nd weekend in April, does that make my winter starting in April? :eek:

I think this is the 3rd, potentially 12+ inch snowstorm forecasted since I made my prediction? After this weekend, Winter will be over. Yeah, I know, I dont care what the calendar says. Its still Winter if Im still snowshoing.

My current avatar was a lovely spring hike with single digit temps and 4-6' snow pack. For everyone of those, I have a 'winter hike' in December on bare ground.

I am excited about this storm - planning to spend a night at an RMC hut this weekend, so it should be a winter wonderland.

I expect Sunday could be a drippy day in the woods on Sunday if the forecast plays out. Wet snow in trees with sun and warm temps will make things interesting.

I am boiling all day today. Sap ran like crazy yesterday. Snow is coming down good in Southern Vermont. I'm going to try and get out on Sunday to do some snowshoeing - this snow should be easy to consolidate as we track up Glastenbury Mountain.

I am boiling all day today. Sap ran like crazy yesterday. Snow is coming down good in Southern Vermont. I'm going to try and get out on Sunday to do some snowshoeing - this snow should be easy to consolidate as we track up Glastenbury Mountain.

Meanwhile, down in Connecticut I went out for a run in a windbreaker and rain hat this morning since all we got was rain. It washed away the remaining vestiges of snow from pretty much everywhere but the ends of grocery store parking lots.

Since I'm very bored with brief I'm writing at the moment, one more time for snow at the stake, as of 3-31-17:
Lonesome Lake 39
Highland Center 24
Zealand Falls 38
Carter Notch 31
Observatory 58.2

Brian

About 10" up in Gorham at 5:45 PM Saturday. Its sticky stuff, my snowblower was real unhappy trying to blow it.

The snow above 3500' was powder. It was really soft and beautiful! Sadly, almost no one had snowshoes. The upper mile of valley way is a mess.

Why would no one have snow shoes? Why!!!!??
A few people were carrying them at least. Tough to say what everyone's thought process was. My guess would be they didn't expect powder conditions.

It's so fascinating how local the snow is!

Looking at the snow-at-the-stake reports, there is also a report from each about snowfall over the last 24 hours.

Carter Notch had 5 inches, while Pinkham had 6.8 and the Observatory had 10.2, although all three are just a few miles from each other. Zealand reported 3.5 inches, and Lonesome Lake 2.

Brian

Looks like a big warm heavy rain is coming later this week that should kick-off spring runoff season. There is a lot of snow to melt in the mountains. Seems like we'll either have snow into the end of May, or flooding.