Man falls 1000 feet to his death on Katahdin's Abol Slide.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ aka Teej

Reaction score
Terrible news.

"MILLINOCKET, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- A Holden man is dead after falling down an icy surface in Baxter State Park Saturday, park officials say.

They say the 68-year-old was camping at Daicey Pond Campground with a larger group, and was attempting to climb Katahdin on the Abol Trail.

Near the top of the trail where it intersects with the top of Abol Slide, he lost his footing and was unable to stop his fall. He slid more than 1,000 feet before coming to rest near the bottom of the open section of the slide. He was pronounced dead on scene.

Other climbers in the area alerted Park Rangers." http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/man...tahdin-dies-after-sliding-1000-feet/410076890

Wow. Surprised there aren't more accidents on Kahtahdin in Winter given the severity of the terrain. I guess maybe because the people that are willing to trek in there in the Winter and complete are more experienced and equipped hikers. That's too bad.

If it's that steep and icy (I've never been to Katahdin myself), wouldn't it be best to keep your ice axe handy to break the slide? Too bad though. I've always told my wife, however, if I die while doing what I love then there are worse ways to go.

That spot where the new trail takes a right while the old trail heads down the slide is definitely straight down. Given its southerly exposure and the warm temps I would guess the snow and ice conditions were pretty wet.

If it's that steep and icy (I've never been to Katahdin myself), wouldn't it be best to keep your ice axe handy to break the slide? Too bad though. I've always told my wife, however, if I die while doing what I love then there are worse ways to go.

None of the public accounts has any information on equipment or the exact nature of how he lost his footing. Possible he had an axe and/or crampons. A month of so ago I heard there was a thick icing event and seems it has stuck around. Bed surface like that bears watching for future snows.

Thoughts and prayers for all those who knew John H. Stetson

Not sure it is still being used but at one point getting into the park in winter required a pretty decent interview and permit process go even get in & I believe you needed a team of four. At my best I may have qualified as a three.

Sematary; you need to go this year during the regular season. IMO, and others, in the east, many people have difficulty with a top ten list. (how to limit to 10) There is Katahdin and then everything else.

Condolences to Mr. Stetson and his family.

A month of so ago I heard there was a thick icing event and seems it has stuck around. Bed surface like that bears watching for future snows.

What a bummer.

Last week's Avi reports for Tucks and Huntington describe big slides in most gullies that scoured off wind slab down to a hard ice layer. These slides resulted from snow loading due to storms. I know Millinocket picked up at least 12 inches of snow during those events.

If Abol Slide let go the way many Mt Wash gullies have, the crossing at the top would have been very perilous.

We can conjecture about equip, self arrest possibility, etc., but conditions are the wild card you turn over when you get there.

Condolences to the family and rest of his team.

cb

Here's an interesting article on recent White Mountain Avalanches

Last edited:
If it's that steep and icy (I've never been to Katahdin myself), wouldn't it be best to keep your ice axe handy to break the slide?
On terrain like that, if you don't manage to arrest in the first few seconds you'll be going too fast over too many obstacles to stop yourself.

On terrain like that, if you don't manage to arrest in the first few seconds you'll be going too fast over too many obstacles to stop yourself.

True indeed.

Another confounding factor is the nature of this route. Is it a "hike" or a "technical Climb?" And, if 99% of it is a hike, do you....

Bring an ice axe along? Carry real 12-point crampons. Lug a helmet?

And, possibly fatigued just getting there, do you bother to employ that gear in the moment of that right turn out onto the open slide?

Isn't there a similar slide section on the Wildcat Ridge trail climbing out of Carter Notch that has been the scene of several accidents?

cb

Isn't there a similar slide section on the Wildcat Ridge trail climbing out of Carter Notch that has been the scene of several accidents?

Not even close, the lower section of Abol Slide is one of those spots where folks can stand on the lip and catch the toes of their boots in the foreground and see the bottom of the slide in the background looking down. The new lower section was setup to run through woods to one side of the slide and is switchbacked heavily. I expect the woods fills up with snow but still expect it be far preferably.

During the summer, several of the routes up Katahdin are steep exposed hikes. Maybe not as steep as parts of Huntington Ravine or the Great Gulf but that exposed.

I'd guess an ADK equivalent might be climbing Haystack from Panther Gorge or Gothics over Pyramid but longer. A winter Colden trip up the Trap Dike may be harder & likely a technical route. Suspect Dudley & Cathedral on Katahdin are technical routes in winter.

People in one of the pictures in the second article are wearing helmets.

The google map image was updated in April of 16. The new trail is visible and it you zoom in you can follow it up. It tapers off a bit but if you look on the Abol Slide you can see where it comes across the slope to tie back in.

True indeed.

Another confounding factor is the nature of this route. Is it a "hike" or a "technical Climb?" And, if 99% of it is a hike, do you....

Bring an ice axe along? Carry real 12-point crampons. Lug a helmet?

And, possibly fatigued just getting there, do you bother to employ that gear in the moment of that right turn out onto the open slide?

cb

While I cannot speak to this route as I have never done it. Any route with that fall potential, would have me with all three pieces of gear you mentioned. As far as putting on the gear at the needed time, you simply should. I was descending a 14er out west and came across a group, sitting in front of a sheet of snow. At this point we were traversing rock. The sheet was 50 ft wide to pure rock on the other side. The snow was very hard and the runout fall potential was at least 1000ft. They were debating how to cross. I put on my crampons and took my axe off my pack and chopped steps across. It took longer to gear up, then to actually cross it. I never cut corners, when the results could be devastating.

Condolences to this man's family. Regardless of what may have happened, it's a tragedy. P.S. I have no desire to die doing what I love, a fall like that would not be pleasant. I prefer old age in my bed when I go.

None of the public accounts has any information on equipment or the exact nature of how he lost his footing. Possible he had an axe and/or crampons. A month of so ago I heard there was a thick icing event and seems it has stuck around. Bed surface like that bears watching for future snows.

Thoughts and prayers for all those who knew John H. Stetson

There was a detailed account on Facebook by a person claiming to be one of first people to reach body, talk to group, etc and assuming the info can be trusted he had all the proper gear (I think maybe not a helmet) and knew what he was doing. It was just one of those moments where he lost his footing for a second and that's all it took. The account on Facebook was pretty chilling. Was very unsensationalized and detailed. I hope that is something I never encounter in my lifetime.

This is the excerpt from Facebook. I am merely copying and not vouching for it's authenticity:

Written in first hand by Andrew Soares

"On Friday I headed to Baxter State Park with Jason Beaupre a trip we had planned for a few months. The plan was to climb Katahdin and Hamlin peaks. We arrived Friday midday and began our 5 mile hike to Abol campground where we would spend the next two nights.

On Saturday morning we woke up packed our packs and set off for Katahdin. The trail was well packed for the first few miles until treeline. Once above treeline the conditions turned from soft snow to hard ice. We met a group of 4 and a group of 2 just As we were about to reach treeline. As soon as we could find a good place to switch to crampons we did. The group of 2 also switched to crampons and the group of 4 had turned around and headed back down do to conditions. At this point the trail was very steep and covered with hard ice.

Reaching the junction at the top of Abol slide We took in the views Jason took a few pics and then we then continued on maybe 60 feet or so above the junction Jay hears one of the guys we just passed yelling as we turn around we see a man falling down the steep slide. We see him bouncing off rocks and flipping end over end. An image I may never forget. I watched this man slip and in a matter of seconds he was hundreds of feet down the slide. Instantly I say to Jay that we need to go help him. Without hesitation Jay agrees and is on the phone calling 911.

We then start to downclimb the slide. Being very carful not to fall ourselves. As we are down climbing we start to see some of this man's gear that had fallen off his pack gloves, snowshoes, hiking poles we then see a rock with some blood and a trail of blood in the snow. It got very real at that point.

I made it down the slide first and as soon as I could see the man I yelled that we were coming to help. As soon as the words left my mouth I knew the man had passed away. Another hundred feet or so and I reached his body. I checked his pulse and nothing. I turned back to Jay and gave him a sign saying he didn't make it. Jay called rescue and let them know we had reached his body but he didn't make it. The man slipped and fell 1300 feet from the top of the slide.
A few minutes later the guy who was hiking with this man made it down. We were all in a bit of shock. Jay and I knew that rescue would be a little while so we broke out a trail from where we were to where the main trail was making it easier for the rescue team. After about 3 hours the first group arrived. And shortly after that another team.

This man had the gear, crampons, ice axe, and had climbed the mountain many times before one slip and it was over. It could have easily been me or anyone else."

I just watched a news report about Mr. Stetson. By all accounts he was a very experienced hiker/climber/outdoorsman. He'd climbed Katahdin more times than I can count, in all seasons. Its just one of those things that happens when we climb steep slopes. Its a sad ending. Sometimes, we can do everything right, and still something goes awry.

Last edited:

cb

I think the two locations are pretty different, not to underestimate Wildcat by any means. But to the point, I've broken out the Wildcat route solo in winter when I felt conditions were safe and stable. But.....I'm not going anywhere near that Abol Slide intersection when its covered in bullet proof ice, no way no how. (I've done non-winter only on that route to date)

Condolences to Mr. Stetson's friends and family. He seemed a very experienced climber. An eerie reminder of what can happen to any of us given the conditions. The report from Facebook gave me chills. Kudos to the hikers who down climbed to check on him. They'll live with those images.

Stay safe folks.

Last edited:
While I cannot speak to this route as I have never done it.
I climbed and descended the Abol Slide in low-snow conditions many years ago when the route went up the slide. It was generally (rock) ledgy, rocky, icy, and steep but not so steep that it required constant use of one's hands. (IIRC, I used my hands at least occasionally.) We wore crampons and carried ice axes. (Direct use of one's hands on the rocks for balance was often more useful than the axe. There wasn't enough snow to plunge the shaft into the snow for the "banister" axe position.)

Unless the snow was deep enough at the accident time to smooth out the surface of the slide, any long fall would have included a lot of bouncing off the ledges and rocks and would have had limited chance for self-arrest.

Doug

Last edited:
I was on the mountain that day. My group of four (referenced on the facebook quote above) got just above treeline on the rerouted trail before turning back. We were using snowshoes and trekking poles at the time that we turned back, but we had ice axes and crampons.

We decided that going on would be too risky, given slick surface conditions, even with crampons and axes.

We chatted briefly with the late Mr Stetson and some other climbers right around the time that we turned back.

We knew Saturday afternoon that there had been an accident, but did not find out until Sunday morning (from a ranger) that there had been a fatality.

On the way out of the park, we also talked with the two men who saw him fall and called 911.

His obit is on the Bangor Daily News website. Married 40 years, three grown children, grandchildren. It is such a tragedy. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Jonathan

Last edited: