Northern Lite Snowshoes Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
Anyone have experience using Northern Lite snowshoes?

I wonder how these mid-western designs will hold up in typical White Mountain winter trail conditions.

And how the binding system will perform in rugged terrain.

Thanks,

cb

I haven't used these, but in my experience with snowshoes that have a tube frame, they are terrible for climbing. TSLs FTW.

I have Northern Lites (Elite 8X25); they are pretty good for me. But I am very light (145). And, I had to modify the crampons to be more aggressive.

Binding is OK; weakness of binding is the heel strap, which lays flat on the deck like an old fashioned binding strap, rather than angling up on the heel like an MSR. Thus the Northern Lites heel strap tends to slip down off the heel of the boot sometimes.

Overall though, I'm pretty happy with them.

I've had a pair for many years and love the bindings. There isn't as much depth to the crampons as I'd like but they are suitable for the uses I put them trhough. They are also lightweight which makes me suspect as to how much abuse they can take. For more abusive conditions or riskier destinations, I use my Atlas.

I've had a pair of the Elites (8x25) for years now and have been very happy. I have my 10x30 Tubbs wooden shoes and Atlas 9x27 which are great but heavy. Since I rarely break trail or traverse above treeline, they are perfect & so light. I like the bindings, but they are a pain to get into with all the straps. I also added some o-rings on each strap so I can tuck the strapend under it and not have them flapping around. They have held up well and I'd get another pair

I don't have experience with the brand but one caveat is they appear to use aluminum crampon cleats. Aluminum is not a great choice and its tend to wear down with use in typical white mountain conditions with occasional bare rock. MSR went with thinner stainless steel which tend to wear better although the trade off is higher potential for fatigue from heavy use. I know that my older Tubbs crampons were worn down substantially and the heel crampons are just nubs which is one of the reasons I bought new snowhoes since tubbs no longer had parts for sale.

Its been awhile but if I remember correctly Sherpas also used aluminum on their tucker claws. With heavy use the claws would loose their edge quickly and slowly wear down.

I have heard and made the observation in the past that the Whites (and the ADKs)are where "good snowshoes go to die" as the icy rocky conditions in the area really beat on snowshoes. We end up being the after sale product testers for the snowshoe companies that actually care about their product. A few years back the Mountaineer in Keene had a special end of run order of Denali Ascents (the ones with the televators) made up when MSR switched to the Lightning and discontinued the Denalis. I saw at least a couple of folks on VFTT who trashed their Lightnings ended up swapping back to the Denali Ascents. MSR learned the error in their ways and after a year or so brought them back as Evo Ascents.

I think it comes down to for general purpose snowshoeing where the conditions aren't aggressive the northern lites appear to be a good US made product. I wouldn't have them as my only snowshoe as I feel they may be lacking when the going gets tough and scratchy.

The Northern Lites are generally a "racing" snowshoe line, so the designs are all about lightness.

So even though I am light, I try not to bridge the snowshoe frame across rocks, which can bend some frames. I've never had a problem, but if I were careless (or if I deliberately tried to), I think I might be able to bend them.

And yes, the factory crampon is inadequate. I drilled and bolted on an old pair of instep crampons under the ball of the foot on the binding, so no my NLs have a very aggressive steel crampon there.

Had my Northern Lites Backcountry for 10 years +. Yes, they are lite with good flotation, in keeping with light weight winter back country back packing. No, they are not any good on a moderately steep slope or any kind of icing condition, e. g. most of the ADKs. I like them best with mukluks (Steger), warm and comfortable, but then you have no traction option whatever. Bindings OK. Really, these are intended for conditions like the Boundary Waters, deep snow, gentle grades. MSR EVO or the like for ADKs.
Walt

I wanted to share my experience with these. I have owned a pair of 30" Northern Lites Backcountry Elites for six years now. They have treated me extremely well. The bindings work fine. A few of the plastic clips that hold the decking to the frame have worn down and broken off, but this hasn't affected the performance of the shoe at all. The cleats are aluminum, but they have not worn down nearly as much as you might expect. One thing I specifically like better about these than mountaineering-style snowshoes is that the tails don't grip too much, which allows me to descend smoother and faster. With MSRs or Tubbs Flex, I would have to stick every step rather than glide down the trails. Finally, the bindings don't have the clevis pin that the other models use, and I feel good knowing that there is nothing that might break and leave me stranded out in the woods. I spend a lot of time off trail, and the 30" size has always provided enough flotation. As was mentioned earlier, they are not good on icy or rocky terrain, but that usually means crampon or Microspike territory.

PS, you can buy them on Walmart.com now

Albee-- I had an email exchange with Northern Lites. They will repair/replace the broken clips ( mine now need repair ) for the cost of shipping.
Walt