Must Do Adirondack High Peak Hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, during mud-season they prefer to have people stay off the higher peaks. My plan with my son & his friends & their dads for the first weekend in June is to do Cascade & Porter, spotting cars at Marcy Field & starting at Cascade Pass & descending to Marcy Field.

"Prefer" or "prohibit" the way VT does?

Thanks for the follow up comments. I was looking at Giant as an option as well as Noonmark, which doesn't have the sun exposure but looks to be river crossing free and not terribly long if the trail is a mess.

If going up Noonmark from Round Pond, there is a brook crossing. You'll have to look at the DEC wording on their website. I'm thinking preferred, that said, NY will ticket people in the winter for not using snowshoes. The ADK High Peaks Forum is the best place for ADK news.

If going up Noonmark from Round Pond, there is a brook crossing. You'll have to look at the DEC wording on their website. I'm thinking preferred, that said, NY will ticket people in the winter for not using snowshoes. The ADK High Peaks Forum is the best place for ADK news.

Thanks. I actually just signed up on that forum a few weeks ago because the NY forum here doesn't seem to get much action and the people that do respond here are also on that forum from what I have seen. I'll obviously research further as May gets closer. Hopefully we get a big melt instead of more snow. I really don't want to still be needing snowshoes at the end of May! :( I'll probably only get to NY 2-3 times for the year so hopefully I get to do the hikes I am really interested in as opposed to back ups.

That's quite an endorsement. When I did Katahdin last year for the first time it immediately and by a wide margin became my favorite hike/mountain ever for stuff I have actually climbed. Was blown away by Baxter. Definitely have to get Haystack on the list for this year if it is even in the ballpark of Katahdin.

Katahdin is a nice peak, to bad it's not in the Whites, I'd climb it again. Not to hijack thread, but if you want to up the ante on Katahdin, you should get out west. Plenty of jaw droppers out there. One of my personal favorites, just because it felt so ominous, Mount of the Holy Cross in CO. If you want to step up from the knife edge, Capitol peak has it's own knife edge, although shorter then Katahdin's, it makes Katahdin's look like a sidewalk. Sorry to bump your thread, I just think you'd dig it out there.

Katahdin is a nice peak, to bad it's not in the Whites, I'd climb it again. Not to hijack thread, but if you want to up the ante on Katahdin, you should get out west. Plenty of jaw droppers out there. One of my personal favorites, just because it felt so ominous, Mount of the Holy Cross in CO. If you want to step up from the knife edge, Capitol peak has it's own knife edge, although shorter then Katahdin's, it makes Katahdin's look like a sidewalk. Sorry to bump your thread, I just think you'd dig it out there.

I hear that. My wife has a friend who moved to Alaska two years ago and just got a house outside of Anchorage along the Chugach National Forest so we have free lodging if we can get up there. I have also done a lot of research into Denver and Seattle area mountains. I am really hoping to go to one of these places in July but my wife has a pending knee operation the scheduling of which is hinging on a workers compensation dispute and I have been really slow at work so we have been holding off on getting a vacation on the books. I am very highly interested in seeing some big ass mountains but I fear it will have to wait another year. ME/NH/NY will have to satisfy me again this year (and they will). :)

To keep hijacking.... Back in the real early days of VFTT, we had a member who had lived in the New England, NY area who moved to Anchorage. He used to tell me about lots of great hiking and the idea was to get up above the brush where you might run into a bear. Obviously, in AK bear issues are very different than in our usual VFTT area.

To keep hijacking.... Back in the real early days of VFTT, we had a member who had lived in the New England, NY area who moved to Anchorage. He used to tell me about lots of great hiking and the idea was to get up above the brush where you might run into a bear. Obviously, in AK bear issues are very different than in our usual VFTT area.
. Who needs to get up above the brush when they roam the downtown rec path in Ancorhage ...along with the Moose:eek:

Yes. My wife's friend has already seen several as well as three moose that make a daily stop in her yard to see what she's up to.