Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: Must Do Adirondack High Peak Hikes

  1. #16
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    1,588
    These all look like great suggestions. I am starting to wonder about my timing though. I booked a campsite for opening weekend (5/19-5/22) and with all the snow this Winter I'm wondering if it might be too soon for many of these hikes from a mud/snow/ice perspective and potential impassable river crossings. Are any of these hikes more suited to crappy trail conditions (i.e., limited or bridged river crossings, ledges facing sun so less likely to be iced early/late,etc? I'm thinking it would be a good idea to line up some more modest hikes as back ups should some of the bigger hikes be unmanageable. I have a "list" of my favorites I do early in season in NH because I know the trails and what clears out earlier but I have no idea in NY. Any thoughts from that perspective would be appreciated too.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 44/48; NY 46: 3/46

  2. #17
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Haystack & Basin along with Dix are great summits, Haystack is my 2nd favorite, after Katahdin.
    .
    That's quite an endorsement. When I did Katahdin last year for the first time it immediately and by a wide margin became my favorite hike/mountain ever for stuff I have actually climbed. Was blown away by Baxter. Definitely have to get Haystack on the list for this year if it is even in the ballpark of Katahdin.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 44/48; NY 46: 3/46

  3. #18
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    2,532
    There's Katahdin & then everything else. The distance between 1 & 2 is bigger than between Haystack & # 3. Not sure I could say what is three, could be Lincoln, West Bond, Adams, Bond, Algonquin or a few others.

    Early season choices: Giant has a fair amount of open ledges, Cascade will be well traveled and no big water crossings. Hurricane should be fine & Moxham at 2360 feet with many open ledges should only have pockets of snow where the trail goes into the woods higher up and much of the trip is below 2,000 feet.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  4. #19
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    2,532
    BTW, during mud-season they prefer to have people stay off the higher peaks. My plan with my son & his friends & their dads for the first weekend in June is to do Cascade & Porter, spotting cars at Marcy Field & starting at Cascade Pass & descending to Marcy Field.
    Last edited by Mike P.; 03-29-2017 at 07:44 PM.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  5. #20
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    There's Katahdin & then everything else. The distance between 1 & 2 is bigger than between Haystack & # 3. Not sure I could say what is three, could be Lincoln, West Bond, Adams, Bond, Algonquin or a few others.

    Early season choices: Giant has a fair amount of open ledges, Cascade will be well traveled and no big water crossings. Hurricane should be fine & Moxham at 2360 feet with many open ledges should only have pockets of snow where the trail goes into the woods higher up and much of the trip is below 2,000 feet.
    It's definitely hard to rank favorite peaks, although Katahdin does definitely stand out, although in fairness it was actually Pamola Peak, not the summit of Katahdin, that truly blew me away. When you crest that last stretch of the Helon Taylor Trail and clear the rocks of Pamola's summit and see the full Knife Edge, deep glacial cirque down to the pond and the other peaks in the distance come into full view for the first time after teases on the way up I found it to be the best view I have ever had hiking anywhere. It's hard for me to imagine going to Baxter and having the hike to Pamola Peak not be on the agenda. I thought that trail was awesome.

    Favorites for me after Katahdin would probably be Madison (has a lot of similar "wow" moments coming up the Osgood Trail), Clay (well pretty much the whole area from the lawns of Jefferson until the Cog tracks), Monroe-Franklin-Eisenhower (that whole stretch from Eisenhower to Lakes Of Clouds might be my favorite area in all the Whites) and Bond. Algonquin and Wright are the only peaks I've done in NY so far that wasn't in the clouds and for whatever reason I was underwhelmed by it. Maybe it was the crowds or the heat. Marcy was solidly in the fog and clouds except for a few quick glimpses, one of which was a rocky, pointed peak that the trail steward on the summit later told me was Haystack so that is definitely on the radar.

    Thanks for the follow up comments. I was looking at Giant as an option as well as Noonmark, which doesn't have the sun exposure but looks to be river crossing free and not terribly long if the trail is a mess.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 44/48; NY 46: 3/46

  6. #21
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    BTW, during mud-season they prefer to have people stay off the higher peaks. My plan with my son & his friends & their dads for the first weekend in June is to do Cascade & Porter, spotting cars at Marcy Field & starting at Cascade Pass & descending to Marcy Field.
    "Prefer" or "prohibit" the way VT does?
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 44/48; NY 46: 3/46

  7. #22
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    2,532
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Thanks for the follow up comments. I was looking at Giant as an option as well as Noonmark, which doesn't have the sun exposure but looks to be river crossing free and not terribly long if the trail is a mess.

    If going up Noonmark from Round Pond, there is a brook crossing. You'll have to look at the DEC wording on their website. I'm thinking preferred, that said, NY will ticket people in the winter for not using snowshoes. The ADK High Peaks Forum is the best place for ADK news.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  8. #23
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    If going up Noonmark from Round Pond, there is a brook crossing. You'll have to look at the DEC wording on their website. I'm thinking preferred, that said, NY will ticket people in the winter for not using snowshoes. The ADK High Peaks Forum is the best place for ADK news.
    Thanks. I actually just signed up on that forum a few weeks ago because the NY forum here doesn't seem to get much action and the people that do respond here are also on that forum from what I have seen. I'll obviously research further as May gets closer. Hopefully we get a big melt instead of more snow. I really don't want to still be needing snowshoes at the end of May! I'll probably only get to NY 2-3 times for the year so hopefully I get to do the hikes I am really interested in as opposed to back ups.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 44/48; NY 46: 3/46

  9. #24
    Senior Member sierra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New hampshire
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    That's quite an endorsement. When I did Katahdin last year for the first time it immediately and by a wide margin became my favorite hike/mountain ever for stuff I have actually climbed. Was blown away by Baxter. Definitely have to get Haystack on the list for this year if it is even in the ballpark of Katahdin.
    Katahdin is a nice peak, to bad it's not in the Whites, I'd climb it again. Not to hijack thread, but if you want to up the ante on Katahdin, you should get out west. Plenty of jaw droppers out there. One of my personal favorites, just because it felt so ominous, Mount of the Holy Cross in CO. If you want to step up from the knife edge, Capitol peak has it's own knife edge, although shorter then Katahdin's, it makes Katahdin's look like a sidewalk. Sorry to bump your thread, I just think you'd dig it out there.

  10. #25
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    Katahdin is a nice peak, to bad it's not in the Whites, I'd climb it again. Not to hijack thread, but if you want to up the ante on Katahdin, you should get out west. Plenty of jaw droppers out there. One of my personal favorites, just because it felt so ominous, Mount of the Holy Cross in CO. If you want to step up from the knife edge, Capitol peak has it's own knife edge, although shorter then Katahdin's, it makes Katahdin's look like a sidewalk. Sorry to bump your thread, I just think you'd dig it out there.
    I hear that. My wife has a friend who moved to Alaska two years ago and just got a house outside of Anchorage along the Chugach National Forest so we have free lodging if we can get up there. I have also done a lot of research into Denver and Seattle area mountains. I am really hoping to go to one of these places in July but my wife has a pending knee operation the scheduling of which is hinging on a workers compensation dispute and I have been really slow at work so we have been holding off on getting a vacation on the books. I am very highly interested in seeing some big ass mountains but I fear it will have to wait another year. ME/NH/NY will have to satisfy me again this year (and they will).
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 44/48; NY 46: 3/46

  11. #26
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    2,532
    To keep hijacking.... Back in the real early days of VFTT, we had a member who had lived in the New England, NY area who moved to Anchorage. He used to tell me about lots of great hiking and the idea was to get up above the brush where you might run into a bear. Obviously, in AK bear issues are very different than in our usual VFTT area.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  12. #27
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,002
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    To keep hijacking.... Back in the real early days of VFTT, we had a member who had lived in the New England, NY area who moved to Anchorage. He used to tell me about lots of great hiking and the idea was to get up above the brush where you might run into a bear. Obviously, in AK bear issues are very different than in our usual VFTT area.
    . Who needs to get up above the brush when they roam the downtown rec path in Ancorhage ...along with the Moose
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  13. #28
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    To keep hijacking.... Back in the real early days of VFTT, we had a member who had lived in the New England, NY area who moved to Anchorage. He used to tell me about lots of great hiking and the idea was to get up above the brush where you might run into a bear. Obviously, in AK bear issues are very different than in our usual VFTT area.
    Yes. My wife's friend has already seen several as well as three moose that make a daily stop in her yard to see what she's up to.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 44/48; NY 46: 3/46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •