Strange Sugarloaf Accident

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score

This accident today at Sugarloaf
is a real head scratcher.

..."According to a statement from Director of Marketing Ethan Austin, the employee, 24, got into the accident on the Skidder trail.

The employee was part of Sugarloaf’s competition center staff and was preparing a mogul course for a competition when he lost his footing, sliding down the course..."

Could the Skidder Trail be icy enough for this poor employee to slide to his death?

cb

All the warm weather we had lately and this cold snap, sure. Figure he was wearing insulated, nylon covered clothing, the trails could be icy. He probably slipped or stumbled then slid all the way down. I've walked down that trail. It is damn steep!

Long sliding falls are very dangerous in spring conditions, both in and out of bounds. Sad to hear this.

Not really that much of ahead scratcher. You can fall down steep slopes. I bet they are reviewing the protocols for this type of event as we speak. If you were climbing a similar slope as a hiker what gear and precautions would you take? Sounds like things were taken for granted and as a result, this poor fellow paid the price. I wouldn't be surprised, if OSHA had this event on it's radar.

Steep, icy trails while wearing ski boots? Yeah, it's pretty easy to take a long slide and not stop yourself.

Tragic story; my condolences to his loved ones.