Hiking Mount Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibones

Reaction score
This weekend is going to be minus 21 with high winds on Mt. Washington.
With proper equipment would it be safe to hike to the top?

Saturday: Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -18. Very windy, with a northwest wind 60 to 70 mph, with gusts as high as 85 mph.

Sure. As long as your proper equipment includes a toe-tag. :rolleyes: ;)

https://www.weather.gov/epz/wxcalc_windchill

ayPY10eymsTHU3Ig0q2IKMf4_OLfdrlin7w0F9EmL0L9GCzruqoNnJ0kiP-YTLlQTkZn_8LNC-PqHsgjEDDaSKeKDKBdq3gsOLF9rjR_ZRyf4GM04_SruIiWp5_8NDX8yqMuGBZd0LRf_xibBHhbyxbCy45yaq0qkucNI-S_Q4WDzfkjKw1j-CVE2V6XAadVi2Nc8SQGC68hznrIpAUz0IUy5zBln26lJw0rxU9rimvMf2sSguI3ggVbiVCT6e24XkZwunwa5HqvhmNtqmHpNtzFriTsKGjqfbKUYAIi57ayciYrPjzF0vr2nPJ_3f06t64MeOOoeFge6ZCmKKlPQIBB6e4v2lSbbkTV64T2bp5t0xufPbO-xuEgibpwJaBB0k-5_r2STq92LH9ikQExMrWmz_3Ceo4HyCjTBaE1GucyBBYNlcL8OwAtmmTwj7ZFlyj3JZFyeDIIMt3AreNQpJzPMZSGefFnfg4fXGW41T7G4SNAlPUrKalHg1plHKaIpTAjKly2F8gAdg36KKXhQWWKbVp8iFbIe6zxcF_keWHfVEaA5AyzvuOB_yc8iSmNGe_ConEbH-jYSsvlJLtUCGEzrIMSUD_8ogGSyWAPj6fMT4b8opltmw=w549-h363-no

Last edited:

Proper equipment plus experience using it would give you a chance to come up Lion's Head and see how conditions are, but be prepared to turn around. If you're asking the question, you might want to consider hiking with someone experienced in these kinds of conditions. Hypothermia is insidious, so having someone to talk to allows both parties to keep an eye on the other. NOAA is predicting a high of -3 at 3500', with 30mph winds (~-30 wind chill), so maybe pop-up into Tuckerman first and hang out for a few minutes to see if you feel comfortable. If not, pop into Hojo's and then head back down. Maybe sled the Sherbie? :)

Is this a troll post ;) Without knowing your hiking resume - Heck No. Even the professionals that have to rescue folks like you might elect not to go out in these conditions and wait for the body carry when it calms down on Sunday.

If you really want to go hiking its a good weekend for "peekaboo" hiking, pick a summit with a trail that comes in from the east side with good cover, then at the last minute pops out on the exposed summit to get your butt kicked by the wind and then retreat back into the woods. A fairly good one for these conditions is Flume Via the Osseo trail. It has good shelter from west and northwest winds and has good sun exposure until the hardwoods leaf out. Once you get up on the flat plateau to the south of the summits its tight softwoods to keep the wind off. There is bit of knife edge ridge to the summit up from the plateau but it has fairly good cover. The pop out into the open is right along the lip of cliff with some woods to the other side but if thing are real turbulent you want to skip that last stretch of rock to the summit as a gust could send you down the cliff. Note the infamous stairs on Osseo reportedly are a frozen bobsled chute. I expect crampons are required compared to microspikes. North and South Kinsman via either of the two trails from Lonesome Lake are also pretty sheltered although the ridgeline exposure is far longer.

I strongly suggest switching to a Sunday Hike.

I tend not to advocate the approach from Pinkham as the climb up Lions Head is quite well sheltered until you take the turn off the winter approach, every forecast is for the winds to be gnarly until mid Sunday so the concept of heading up and seeing if it gets better really doesn't apply. Far better to go up Ammonusuc ravine trail and hike up to LOC. I expect by then you will have gotten your fill of the wind and elected to head down.

I don't want to give the wrong impression, but I have to mention that "wind chill" is a bit silly. It only applies to exposed skin, of which you should have none.

An air temperature of -18F is damn serious on its own, and hurricane-force gusts make the decision easy. Personally I'll stay home if the steady wind forecast is above 50. I can walk (or at least lurch) in higher gusts than that, but it isn't fun, and usually it means there's zero visibility anyway.

Sure. By definition, with proper equipment, experience, and skills, it would be safe. If someone dies, well, something probably wasn't sufficient.

I think is one of those "if you have to ask the question that's probably your answer" things. Not to discourage asking questions, mind, but the kinds of people who are prepared for those sorts of conditions usually know it. And many of us who aren't, also know it.

(The plastics and ice axe are still going in my duffel just in case of a miracle.)

Sure. By definition, with proper equipment, experience, and skills, it would be safe. If someone dies, well, something probably wasn't sufficient.

I think is one of those "if you have to ask the question that's probably your answer" things. Not to discourage asking questions, mind, but the kinds of people who are prepared for those sorts of conditions usually know it. And many of us who aren't, also know it.

(The plastics and ice axe are still going in my duffel just in case of a miracle.)

I was just thinking the same thing. "If you have to ask...then no". This is not one of those weekends where you push your limits.

Thanks for all the replies. I was not planning myself to do this hike. I'm hoping the group that is planning to do the trip up might see your replies.
thanks and stay warm this weekend

It's down to -34 and it's going to break the daily record for the day apparently. Brr.

11:30 AM downright "balmy", zero degrees at 1400 feet. Looks like the barometric pressure has turned to corner. Winds are not as bad at my place compared to last Saturday. There are gusts but not the sustained house rumbling winds we had last Saturday. The forecast had been for clear skies but its been quite cloudy all morning.

Hope anyone attempting the summits is safe.

The group that did go up Mount Washington yesterday had a good, safe trip. They reported that they passed a lot of other hikers-they weren't the only ones out on the trail. Glad everyone made it back safely and it does pay to be prepared, which I guess they were.
Thanks again for everyone's replies.

The official low on the summit Saturday was -35F with an average wind speed of 78 mph peaking to 115 mph. There were 30 minutes of sunshine (Source: MWO).

The daily record low was shattered from 1933 when it reached -26F.

Wind chills were reported as RFC.

The group that did go up Mount Washington yesterday had a good, safe trip. They reported that they passed a lot of other hikers-they weren't the only ones out on the trail. Glad everyone made it back safely and it does pay to be prepared, which I guess they were.
Thanks again for everyone's replies.

Glad they are ok. Any idea what route they took?

You are not mistooken, TJ. Just to make it a sporting climb, last one in the door buys the hot chocolate.:rolleyes: