Mt. Cabot today (3/18)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sematary

Reaction score
So, I'll do a full trail report tomorrow because I've been going for about 17 hours and need to sleep but:

Well,the weather was PHENOMENAL but the trail wasn't broken. There had been a couple in front of Sara and I up until the people who had been in front of us missed the trail and we missed that they missed the trail so at that point, for a while at least, it turned into a Bushwack in deep snow. We eventually landed near where Killkenny and Cabot trail met and my daughter and I started the ascent, plowing through deep snow. About a mile from the summit, 4 hikers came up from behind and were able to assist in breaking trail. :)
I didn't get last names but their names were Tim (who was doing his 48th 4000 footer today), Mark, Tony and Scott. One of them (at least posts on vftt - it was either Scott or Tony, I forget which). They really saved us We would have gotten there anyway, but they were able to step in and shoulder a big chunk of the load of plowing the rest of the trail. Thanks guys and really nice meeting you!
Congrats again, Tim.

Also, for some reason, I thought that I still had 4 peaks left to complete the 48 after this hike but it turns out I only have 3 - explains why I couldn't think of the 4th all day. Owl's Head, West Bond and Isolation. then I can start working on something else till next winter when I can start adding on to my winter peak list. I'm at 11 now. Might be done in you know, 10 years. lol

Last edited:
So, I'll do a full trail report tomorrow because I've been going for about 17 hours and need to sleep but:

Well,the weather was PHENOMENAL but the trail wasn't broken. There had been a couple in front of Sara and I up until the people who had been in front of us missed the trail and we missed that they missed the trail so at that point, for a while at least, it turned into a Bushwack in deep snow. We eventually landed near where Killkenny and Cabot trail met and my daughter and I started the ascent, plowing through deep snow. About a mile from the summit, 4 hikers came up from behind and were able to assist in breaking trail. :)
I didn't get last names but their names were Tim (who was doing his 48th 4000 footer today), Mark, Tony and Scott. One of them (at least posts on vftt - it was either Scott or Tony, I forget which). They really saved us We would have gotten there anyway, but they were able to step in and shoulder a big chunk of the load of plowing the rest of the trail. Thanks guys and really nice meeting you!
Congrats again, Tim.

Also, for some reason, I thought that I still had 4 peaks left to complete the 48 after this hike but it turns out I only have 3 - explains why I couldn't think of the 4th all day. Owl's Head, West Bond and Isolation. then I can start working on something else till next winter when I can start adding on to my winter peak list. I'm at 11 now. Might be done in you know, 10 years. lol

I was also up there yesterday (I met you and your daughter as you were descending near the only blow down of the day). Thanks for your work in breaking trail - the quarter mile we did was plenty. :)

After about a minute of the first false trail (to the east, about .15 from the Bunnell Notch/KRT junction). I turned around and pulled up a previous trip I had there. Using that track I brought my group back to the trail. I think we then found your set of tracks coming in from the west right before the junction. It appears that track from the East rejoined the KRT just below Bunnell Rock and may have followed the old KRT (not sure when that rerouting was done). It appears that everyone followed the right way down so that route is clear, even though it does veer of the real trail for a small section (just to the east), but quickly rejoins. If you're pushing through a lot of branches you're not on the trail. The trail as a whole is decently packed now, but snowshoes are probably still needed for several softer spots (especially in the sun).

I was also up there yesterday (I met you and your daughter as you were descending near the only blow down of the day). Thanks for your work in breaking trail - the quarter mile we did was plenty. :)

After about a minute of the first false trail (to the east, about .15 from the Bunnell Notch/KRT junction). I turned around and pulled up a previous trip I had there. Using that track I brought my group back to the trail. I think we then found your set of tracks coming in from the west right before the junction. It appears that track from the East rejoined the KRT just below Bunnell Rock and may have followed the old KRT (not sure when that rerouting was done). It appears that everyone followed the right way down so that route is clear, even though it does veer of the real trail for a small section (just to the east), but quickly rejoins. If you're pushing through a lot of branches you're not on the trail. The trail as a whole is decently packed now, but snowshoes are probably still needed for several softer spots (especially in the sun).

Oh, believe me, we KNEW we weren't on the trail, but we at that point when we were positive of that we had not choice but to continue in the direction we were going.
At least we figured it out. :)

Oh, believe me, we KNEW we weren't on the trail, but we at that point when we were positive of that we had not choice but to continue in the direction we were going.
At least we figured it out. :)

Haha, I have no doubt! I meant for others looking to follow. They'll have more options!