Mt Cabot (as of Mar 18)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sematary

Reaction score
Be cautious, there are some "trails" that really aren't as you get to the Kilkenny. After initially turning at the marker you will come to a point where it breaks in two directions where it goes around a stand of trees. Left is correct but right will bring you there anyway. The truly "dangerous" part is when the "trail" appears to go up the mountain (not much after that split). Don't do it. Whoever initially hiked after all the snow either missed the trail or wasn't trying to be on the trail anyway and this in turn caused the couple in front of us to follow those tracks which we in turn also followed (and we weren't the last). Just go straight - believe me, you WILL thank me for it later. My daughter and I were the first to start breaking trail going up Cabot Trail off the Kilkenny but about a mile or thereabouts from the summit we were joined by 4 men who had been trailing us as we broke trail. Believe me it was helpful as we had been breaking trail for quite a while and were pretty tired. We did end up seeing other hikers (probably between my daughter and I, those 4 and some others - maybe 11 total - all wearing snowshoes) so the trail is fairly well crunched down now and should be a reasonably easy/moderate hike to the summit. Just watch out for those "false" trails.