Dixville Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikerbrian

Reaction score
Last weekend from the summit of Moriah, looking way the heck up north, I could see a bald, white capped, prominent peak sticking out from the other hills. Percy peak, I think. And now I must venture out beyond the WMNF, into the North Country.

I know there are at least a few of you who reside in the Berlin area, and perhaps you get out that way occassionally? Specifically, a friend and I are thinking we'll camp at Mollidgewock State Park, do a couple of day trips (Percy, maybe Table Top, Dixville Notch area), pop into the Balsams. I'm open to any ideas on how one might want to spend a weekend in that area in mid-June. I'm pretty excited to do some exploring.

Note Mid June could still be black fly season!

Not much to see at the Balsams these days, half torn down buildings and a general look of gloom. Nevertheless Table Rock is worth visiting but its only a couple of hours round trip. One hint is if you have never been through Dixville Notch drive it East to West (from Errol). Its a lot tighter notch than the notches in the whites and the view from the top before you drop down into the Balsams is breathtaking (literally for many people). Mollidgewock can be busy, Milan Hill State Park is an alternative. In Nash Stream the Percy's are worth the trip but they too are a short day. Sugarloaf is just down the road and has good views but realistically being nearby to the Percy's it probably not worth doing both in one trip. One mountain you didn't mention which is worth the trip is Monadnock in VT, Its just across the river from Colebrook. It has a fire tower and the views of northern NH, the Northeast Kingdom summits and the Connecticut river valley are hard to beat. Signal mountain in Millsfield has an abandoned fire tower and its location makes it quite remote with the exception that its surrounded by the Granite windfarm (which is not readily viewable except from another abandoned fire tower in Phillips Brook which is a true bushwhack).

I haven't bought the book but this one was written by the founder of the Coos trail https://www.amazon.com/Explorers-Guide-Hikes-North-Mountains/dp/0881509728 that covers this area.

The Balsams trails are pretty well marked. Monadnock's trailhead in the past could be difficult to find as its in the back of gravel pit, I think it has been improved. The Percy's trail is well marked. Signal Mtn has a trail but its off a logging road and is not well marked. (I have posted directions on VFTT from the past).

If you haven't done Speck or Goose Eye they also provide quite a different viewpoint. An extra 45 minute drive up RT 16 from Errol is Azicohos Mountain in Wilsons Mills (there is also a nice campground along the Magalloway river). Azicohos has 360 views looking over northern NH and over the Western Maine including many of the "six pack" plus saddleback and the Sugarloaf area.

While you are driving up make sure you stop at the Northland Dairy Bar in Berlin, best pies in area and surprisingly good fried seafood.

Last edited:
I'd add Mt. Magalloway to that excellent list as well. It's a long drive from either the Wilsons Mills side or the Pittsburg side, but well worth it. The hike itself is easy and there is a fire tower with excellent views, particularly to the east. You can also visit Hellgate and Garfield Falls at the same time.

I just took Rt 26 over to Berlin from Grafton Notch last weekend. Rt 16 needs some work. Hopefully the frost heaves smooth out by the time you head up that way.

A climb up to Table Rock from Dixville Notch is well worth the little time it takes. If you're headed west thru the Notch, look for the "BUMP" sign and pull over into the parking area on the left. The trailhead is just a little further on along the road.

I'd 2nd Table Rock but don't know how far out of my way I'd go to hike it unless you'd like to see what's going on at the Balsams at the same time, or plan another nearby hike. We

Aziscohos is a little over the state line on rt. 16 in Maine. Trail starts at rt. 16 and don't know if it is any better marked than when we did it but there are two peaks, one trailed one not. I believe the latter may be the higher point. Good views and a loop is possible with a half mile or so road walk to complete it.

Aside from hiking and swatting flies you are in the midst of some beautiful paddling country so consider a little time on Umbagog via the Androscoggin or Magalloway Rivers. Guaranteed eagle sightings and plenty of loons for harmony.

On a paddle trip down the Magalloway we turned up the Swift/Dead Diamond River for some exploration and lunch. While dining on a sand bar we heard a racket in the water around the bend and fully expected to see a herd of moose trudging around the corner ... only to see mother mallard and nearly a dozen ducklings that skirted about so fast we never could get an accurate count. Well, just above this landmark is something called Diamond Peak with a trailhead on the aforementioned rt. 16. A short hike with occasional views from the cliffs.

If solitude suits you, you'll be in the right neck of the woods.

By the way, this area is "moose central" even with the diminished population. They are particularly a problem around dawn and dusk. You pretty much have to plan you will encounter them in or beside the roads, Add in morning fog and its very easy to overdrive your headlights. The drive up RT 16 from Errol is probably the densest moose population.

I have heard but haven't verified in person that the Lake Region Trust in Rangeley has adopted the trail to Azicohos and has reblazed it. There was logging cut several years ago that pretty well wiped the lower section out. There is older trail closer to the dam off side road that apparently has been discontinued.

The Magalloway from the upper Wilson Mills bridge to Maine line is a nice paddle, lots of oxbows and fast water. Above the upper bridge is a whitewater rapid section that is for rafters or very good whitewater paddlers only. Once the Magalloway hits the state line, its is mostly backwatered from the dam on Lake Umbagog, lot of wildlife but pretty slow paddling all the way Umbagog. The Androscoggin is bit trickey in the 13 mile wood section of RT 16 there are several long rapids but most are out of site of the road so people underestimate it. Once you hit seven islands bridge its slow going just about all the way to the Pontook Dam with the exception of one rapid out of sight of the road.