Trip Slideshow from Northern Sweden, Lappland. Kungsleden trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brambor

Reaction score
Here is a slideshow from a ski a backcountry skiing trip we just returned from https://www.flickr.com/gp/brambor/w6RGgK

Trip took place in Lappland in Northern Sweden, home to a long distance trail named Kungsleden (Kings Trail). We skied the northern portion of the trail. Think of it as 7 day continuous Presidential Range trip ;-)

Day 1: Abisko to Abiskojaure - 15KM
Day 2: Abiskojaure to Alesjaure - 23KM
Day 3: Alesjaure to Tjaktja - 15KM
Day 4: Tjaktja to Salka - 13KM
Day 5: Salka to Singi - 13KM
Day 6: Singi to Kebnekaisse - 13KM
Day 7: Kebnekaisse to Nikkaluokta - 17KM

Abisko is one of the best locations in the world to view the northern lights. We got to see them a few times. Quite a spectacular experience for me (first time).

If You have any questions please post them here and I will happily answer.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Here is a slideshow from a ski a backcountry skiing trip we just returned from https://www.flickr.com/gp/brambor/w6RGgK

Trip took place in Lappland in Northern Sweden, home to a long distance trail named Kungsleden (Kings Trail). We skied the northern portion of the trail. Think of it as 7 day continuous Presidential Range trip ;-)

Day 1: Abisko to Abiskojaure - 15KM
Day 2: Abiskojaure to Alesjaure - 23KM
Day 3: Alesjaure to Tjaktja - 15KM
Day 4: Tjaktja to Salka - 13KM
Day 5: Salka to Singi - 13KM
Day 6: Singi to Kebnekaisse - 13KM
Day 7: Kebnekaisse to Nikkaluokta - 17KM

Abisko is one of the best locations in the world to view the northern lights. We got to see them a few times. Quite a spectacular experience for me (first time).

If You have any questions please post them here and I will happily answer.

Cheers.

This looks amazing! Your packs look fairly small. Do the huts provide food?

Most of the huts provide mini supply of canned food to buy, powder milk, some chocolates, some cans of soda or beer. On our tour, only 1 hut did not offer to purchase food but I know of other huts around there that do not provide that opportunity. We carried freeze dried food for 1 person (gluten free), plus some extra just in case for me.

The mugs, pots and pans, silverware and plates are all provided in the common kitchen area so all you need to bring is your food packets and you are all set.

This looks amazing! Your packs look fairly small. Do the huts provide food?

This seems to be a custom but every time we were arriving at the huts the caretaker saw us from the distance and came out of the hut to greet us and give us their traditional hot lingonberry drink. That was very nice and welcoming.

blankets are provided too. No need for a sleeping bag or tent. We carried summer sleeping bags.

Looks fantastic. How difficult was the skiing? More than intermediate?

And is it okay to ask about costs? Generally.

Skiing was intermediate for techical skills. There was one downhill section after the Tjaktja pass that had deep snow, steep slope and some drops (if you did not follow the orange blazed signs). For steep slope the solution is to run zigzags as long as you want ... there are no trees to run into ;-)

For distance and conditions the skiing could venture into advanced. The wind is strong, imagine ski touring the presidential range... and it could be wicked cold but honestly I did not think it was any worse than a ski touring trip to Baxter State Park.

Costs for lodging were around $40 per person with membership to Swedish Tourist Association card. We carried our food for most of the days out there. The food to purchase at some of the huts was about the same prices as if you bought food in a New York Deli. ;-)

Next time I would bring climbing skins or kicker skins and instead of Madshus Epoch I would probably ski Madshus Glittertind instead (basically straighter skis will give your better speed and less 'wander')

Please ask more questions if you have them. Glad to answer.

How many hours of daylight did you have? I assume some of the trail was on frozen lakes? Do the huts service hikers during the summer?

We had plenty of daylight, from 7am to 6pm. The huts or the local snow economy season doesn't even start until 8th week of the year (sometimes late February) because there is not enough daylight but by March it's all good.

Yes some of the trail was on frozen lakes but for the summer season the trail is routed along the shore.

yes the huts service hikers during the summer season. It is a spectacular trail in the summer months. Google word Kungsleden.