Sandwich Dome

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
I was going to head up tomorrow and climb Sandwich Dome from the the Waterville side on the Sandwich Dome trail. Is this trail likely to be broken? Does it get much winter/early spring use? Is one likely to need snowshoes near the top, or just microspikes? Any insights would be much appreciated! Thanks a lot.

It does get climbed this time of year and in winter, but I haven't seen any recent reports. Other reports this winter talk about limited parking at the trailhead, and that it wasn't getting plowed reliably.

Crossing Drake's Brook could be problematic with the recent rains and warm temps. If it is, you can walk back out to the highway, cross over the brook and then bushwhack along the bank for 0.1 mi. back to the trail. This bypass is usually well tracked, and I noticed the entrance was flagged when I last drove by. If coming down Drake's Brook Trail and that crossing is high, you can bushwhack out along the brook. It's not the most fun, but is doable.

You will likely need snowshoes due to the warm temps and deep snow pack.

The short side trip to Jennings Peak is worth it. It's actually a better viewpoint than the summit of Sandwich.

Now would be a good time to visit Fletcher cascades. Normally you can save distance by bushwhacking to/from the main trail at 1800ft elevation, though that depends on crossing Drake Brook.

Trail leading up to Noone Peak is ultra steep. wet slippery snow could make this trail dicey. Recommend ascending via Smarts Brook. Not as much traffic on this route and may not be broken out though. Few winters ago I took this route and it wasn't broken out. Although someone did eventually catch up to me and shared the breaking.

Looks like I am a little late to be useful, not to mention others gave you the info you needed. I was there 2-3 weekends ago, the Sandwich dome trail was broken, but not heavily, you could still make out individual snowshoe prints. I went up & down that trail rather then descending the brook trail to complete the loop like I have done in the past. That looked broken but only by no more then 2 or three snow shoers, I did not trust it, I did not feel like breaking trail. Getting to Noon peak was fine on that day, but Jennings peak trail was very icy and a bit of a challenge in snow shoes. It takes little imagination to picture the steep approach to Noon peak being quite icy given a few freeze/thaws.

At that time the parking lot was not plowed, I parked about 1 mile down the road (that was the closest pull out I could find). They had plowed enough to allow working vehicles to get to the power station, no more. I think this was the weekend after the Tuesday nor'easter we had in mid March.

When I did this hike last spring (2016) the entire upper mountain above 3500' was ice, so in comparison this trip was "a breeze". How was it yesterday ?

Thanks everyone! Had a fantastic weekend in the Whites.
Saturday - Climbed Sandwich Dome. Snowing and very cold. There was not the faintest suggestion or evidence whatsoever of it becoming Springtime.
Guessing like 12 degrees or so at the summit. Sandwich Dome was a tough little bastard. Especially the steep section going up Noone.
Sunday - Was completely opposite weather of Saturday. Sunny, 50s, not a cloud in the sky. I climbed North Randolph and Crescent. Rolled up sleeves, sun tan weather. Heavy and still ridiculously deep snowpack made for slow going on the ascent, but the ridge trail was pretty straight forward.
The south lookout view from Crescent is arguably one of the best in the Whites.