Blowdowns

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
ns​
We've all seen pretty large fallen trees on the trails that we've had to step over or walk under. I've never seen one actually fall. Has anyone ever seen it happen? How close were you? I haven't really thought much about it, but it seems quite dangerous.

I got hit by a pretty large branch on clear calm day one once. It luckily hit my backpack first. I have had several large trees fall down in the woods nearby while hiking. Mostly rotten white birches.

Coming down the Mt Tremont trail a few years ago we heard a large tree come down (early spring in the wind and rain). Scared the crap out of us for sure.

On the Attitash Trail. It was a calm day, but a tree fell, probably a hundred feet from me. Weirdest thing ever.

A few years ago, we were hiking with friends and their two little kids (like 6 and 8) on little Baxter Mountain here in the Adirondacks. Non windy day. A dead tree fell right in the trail, maybe 50 feet in front of us. It might have been a problem if the kids had been there 15 seconds sooner!

I think most come down during storms. At least that is my experience. I was dumb enough to hike in a serious wind storm in the ADKs several years ago, and a tree fell next to me in the woods at the start of the hike. A few minutes after starting to descend from the summit, a large tree blocked the way, which had not been there before! I heard the first one, the 2nd one actually caused me to have to bushwhack around it.

I heard of a group who hiked Shelbourne Moriah one time. They accessed trail via forest service road. It was very windy day. After summiting and driving in the car on their way out they encountered a tree had blown down across the forest service road they had come in on. Fortunately a forest ranger came along with chain saw and cleared the tree so they could get out. (Facts are vague on exactly how this came about. Someone must have been able to place a mobile phone call.

I heard of a group who hiked Shelbourne Moriah one time. They accessed trail via forest service road. It was very windy day. After summiting and driving in the car on their way out they encountered a tree had blown down across the forest service road they had come in on. Fortunately a forest ranger came along with chain saw and cleared the tree so they could get out. (Facts are vague on exactly how this came about. Someone must have been able to place a mobile phone call.

Had something similar happen after doing a Zealand to Bonds traverse. A birch had fallen across Zealand Rd on our way back. Thankfully we were able to move it ourselves, but it was not a welcome sight!

Blue Hills picnic area. A friend and I were strolling toward Houghten's Pond when a heavy branch of a tree up ahead went crashing to the ground apropos of nothing. No wind, nuttin'. This sucker was at least 7 inches thick and many feet long.

Slightly off topic; Has anyone been on blackpond trail this winter ( on the way to BP bushwhack) and come across any significant blow-downs? I cleared them in Nov and would like to know what to expect when I come up next time for trail work.

I watched one large tree fall from the safety of a shelter on the AT. Was likely Virginia but don't recall. I've only seen one full one fall but have witnessed a few widowmaker branches fall off. It's the ones you don't see you have to be concerned with. It was surreal seeing a full tree fall with no obvious reason.

Slightly off topic; Has anyone been on blackpond trail this winter ( on the way to BP bushwhack) and come across any significant blow-downs? I cleared them in Nov and would like to know what to expect when I come up next time for trail work.
It was clear in January. I'm sure someone's been there more recently than I. It's in nice shape; I found it easier to follow than last time I went (back in July 2015).