Volunteering in the WMNF

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billski

Reaction score
Some of you are aware of my efforts as a volunteer to recruit a lot more volunteers forest-wide. The deeper I dig, the more I find. The FS dreams of many volunteers, but doesn't have the staff to manage it. So I'm pursuing a "volunteers manage other volunteers" approach. Like Bruce does for the Pemi Trail Adopters.
Here are some other interesting discoveries.

Trail/Shelter/Tentsite Adopters
My digging has also left me fairly shocked yet not surprised at how many trails and back country shelters and tentsites have no regular attention by an Adopter. Last year, I took a group of 12 MeetUp folks out and we made short work of a 2.5 mile trail spring maintenance drill. These folks don't want to "own" anything. They just want to "show and go". I am toying with the idea of taking more trails and doing a work day. We have over 50 orphaned trails and as many back country shelters and tent sites. Thoughts?

Wildlife Biology Assistants
This is a gem. It's been sitting around for a long time. They get an intern now and then, but there is vastly more work that should be getting done that isn't. Work includes monitoring wildlife, surveys, pruning and releasing bird food sources, plant control with hand tools, monitoring fish and fish habitat, Mapping permanent wildlife opening with a GPS, clearing fire lines.

Facilities Maintenance
This is another one of those ugly ducklings that never gets advertised. Buildings, gates, signs, you name it. The FS staff never gets to it all.

Front Country Patrol
Tool around in a FS truck, inspecting, cleaning, repairing, engaging the public, reporting back issues from roadside areas such as trailheads, parking lots, etc.

Admin work
Prefer desk work? There is a ton of admin chores, from managing Facebook Pages, to copying manuals, designing documents, provide a continuity of ongoing communications between volunteers and staff. Doing analysis of data collected throughout the season, answering phones, collecting and reporting out on data sets. Off season and peak season.

The FS is working on a more flexible, scalable way to get these and other opportunities posted quickly. While we have a FS volunteer web page, FS web pages are slow to be updated. Until that comes, here is a web page I've created http://www.iabsi.com/public/ski/WMNF.html which is updated near-daily.

Mix and Match
Like to do more than one activity? Go for it, pick another one. Just be certain you have the time to fully devote to each one.

Trailhead Steward and Patrol programs are closed to new volunteers. Training was held April 8th. You are welcome to shadow and support us at the trailheads. Both NH Outdoor Council and NH Fish and Game have been very impressed with our ability to deliver. If you're familiar with the PSAR (preventative SAR) out west, the Trailhead steward and patrol mission is identical in most ways.

Some of you are aware of my efforts as a volunteer to recruit a lot more volunteers forest-wide. The deeper I dig, the more I find. The FS dreams of many volunteers, but doesn't have the staff to manage it. So I'm pursuing a "volunteers manage other volunteers" approach. Like Bruce does for the Pemi Trail Adopters.
Here are some other interesting discoveries.

Trail/Shelter/Tentsite Adopters
My digging has also left me fairly shocked yet not surprised at how many trails and back country shelters and tentsites have no regular attention by an Adopter. Last year, I took a group of 12 MeetUp folks out and we made short work of a 2.5 mile trail spring maintenance drill. These folks don't want to "own" anything. They just want to "show and go". I am toying with the idea of taking more trails and doing a work day. We have over 50 orphaned trails and as many back country shelters and tent sites. Thoughts?

Wildlife Biology Assistants
This is a gem. It's been sitting around for a long time. They get an intern now and then, but there is vastly more work that should be getting done that isn't. Work includes monitoring wildlife, surveys, pruning and releasing bird food sources, plant control with hand tools, monitoring fish and fish habitat, Mapping permanent wildlife opening with a GPS, clearing fire lines.

Facilities Maintenance
This is another one of those ugly ducklings that never gets advertised. Buildings, gates, signs, you name it. The FS staff never gets to it all.

Front Country Patrol
Tool around in a FS truck, inspecting, cleaning, repairing, engaging the public, reporting back issues from roadside areas such as trailheads, parking lots, etc.

Admin work
Prefer desk work? There is a ton of admin chores, from managing Facebook Pages, to copying manuals, designing documents, provide a continuity of ongoing communications between volunteers and staff. Doing analysis of data collected throughout the season, answering phones, collecting and reporting out on data sets. Off season and peak season.

The FS is working on a more flexible, scalable way to get these and other opportunities posted quickly. While we have a FS volunteer web page, FS web pages are slow to be updated. Until that comes, here is a web page I've created http://www.iabsi.com/public/ski/WMNF.html which is updated near-daily.

Mix and Match
Like to do more than one activity? Go for it, pick another one. Just be certain you have the time to fully devote to each one.

Trailhead Steward and Patrol programs are closed to new volunteers. Training was held April 8th. You are welcome to shadow and support us at the trailheads. Both NH Outdoor Council and NH Fish and Game have been very impressed with our ability to deliver. If you're familiar with the PSAR (preventative SAR) out west, the Trailhead steward and patrol mission is identical in most ways.

Thanks for your tireless efforts Bill. All volunteers go 'above and beyond.' But you've really taken on a lot of scope here. Simply letting people know about these opportunities is a big step. One comment. You may be on to something with adopting multiple trails and planning work days. You may get people to commit to a day that won't take on a trail. You may find you can be very efficient this way but you will need to have true commitments from volunteers. It could be like managing a volunteer group similar to a paid crew. Take them where the work needs to be done. Sounds great in theory and you have the energy and plan to do it. Kudos.

Thanks Raven.
I'm fortunate that for the past year I've been "semi-retired" and have put in several hundred hours of volunteer work, largely administrative during the winter months. But it gave me the opportunity to see the bigger picture. You're spot on that just publicizing these opportunities is an important first step. I wanted to do it differently than how it has been done in the past. We tend to live and work in silos in the forest. So does the FS staff. My intent is to show a singular portal into all possible opportunties, forest wide. We attract more people that way and lose less because people find something that really appeals to them, rather than just hearing about one thing in one region. A rising tide floats all boats - Get them into the store and they are more apt to linger, and often "buy" something else they didn't come in for! That keeps them coming back and builds a sustainable resource. I am convinced that all programs gain, it's not volunteer dilution like you might think. I encourage people to move to a different position if they don't like it, and make it easy for them to do so. I encourage them to just hang out with us for a day, without a commitment.

There are many people who our our mainstay volunteers, they keep coming back without us even asking. Trail adopters area big part of it. Our partner clubs and organizations do so much for the forest, and we are forever grateful. Even with their help, we still have a lot of work that goes wanting.

Regarding trail work days. I've done two so far. It's a different kind of work, not everyone would want to do it. It's more organizational, instruction and leadership. I've organized dozens of hikes and now, two work days so far. The key to success is finding the right people. Most any volunteer group will tell you that retirees are the #1 participants in volunteer programs. But that doesn't have to mean an indoor job. Frankly, the over-50 Meetup group is my primary source of work day participants. Younger folks are more interested in checking off items on a list du jour.

The Meetup web tool takes a lot of the organizational effort out of it. Keeping the trail maintenance to Level 1 means that most people can bring and carry their garden tools and will be just fine. Then its about setting expectations. the profile of a volunteer's skill, strength and proclivity defines what will be accomplished. Volunteers are not employees, so my expectation is that we get as far as we do. We may not finish a trail end to end, but hell, that's a lot better than nothing. I tend to come back later and finish up.

I also segment my groups into three sections. It's the old Forest Gump box of chocolates. The chargers - the movers that are out in front, clearing out the larger, more difficult stuff that can be done without a chainsaw or crosscut). The second group is the core group, who does the bulk of the work, focusing on corridor width, height and waterbar clearing. The last group includes those that need more encouragement or get rather detailed oriented shall we say, or those who just want to talk. Needless to say, I don't spend a lot of time with tools in my hand.

Having said all that, I have a lot of people approaching me asking when I will do another, they enjoyed themselves so much. That is what I'm really doing, developing a sense of ownership and commitment so they come back. And next year they become an adopter. Then it becomes sustainable.

Agreed its a lot of work, jjust like our dedicated and passionate Adopters, just a different kind of work. And that works well for people who have had setbacks in life but still want to contribute. We've one person that blew out both knees, but has deep knowledge and experience. He's not relegated to an info booth. He's outside doing what he loves. He's not doing the challenging stuff any more, but can still cleara flat trail, stand a trailhead and give advice.

I've also heard a lot about forest workers who feel disconnected, that they are lone wolves. Some people like it that way. Others want an opportunity to get to know other volunteers, ask for advice, swap stories and lies. We're planning an all-volunteers potluck/bbq in the forest in late August. It will be a work-free day, just for fun, with like-minded people.

Lest I ramble... I get charged when I meet people who get charged. I'm hopeful I can continue to help for a long time. But I need not tell you , there are 1,200 miles of trails in the 800,000 acres. Last year, me and a friend did a 1.5 mile stretch of the largely unused eastern section of the Hancock Notch trail. We got done, turned around and it looked like we hadn't even touched it! Lots to be done, but I'm forever thankful for every person who has dedicated their time and passion to keeping our paths navigable. For those who have never participated, join the fun, drop me a note. Thank you!

See you on the trail!

Bill