Thread: Looking for hiking partner(s) for epic summer eclipse trip

Looking for hiking partner(s) for epic summer eclipse trip

The reason I'm posting this here is that I'd like to find some local hikers who I can hike with here in New England first. I live in Boston and have hiked pretty much everything in NH.

This is a trip to see the upcoming solar eclipse in the Wind River Range in Wyoming. My aim for this trip is photography related; I've used Google Earth to find a place where I'm looking up at a steep mountain ridge that will point to where the sun will be during the eclipse, and where I can compose the shot how I want. However anyone who wants to hike and see it is welcome. It will be a 3-day backpacking trip August 20-22, both nights spent beside Bomber Lake at 10,000 ft. The location for viewing the eclipse is just a couple miles from the campsite at about 11,000 ft. The hike to the lake is on an unofficial, but well-used trail. The hike to the photo location is trailless, but above treeline.

I've never been in mountains out west (my personal high point is the southern rim of the Grand Canyon at 7000 ft). Because of this I would really prefer to have some hiking companions for this trip. I'd like to have a group of 3-5 people ideally. I'll be using the week before this to camp at higher and higher elevations to get myself used to it. You can join me on that too, if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Technetium View Post
    It will be a 3-day backpacking trip August 20-22, both nights spent beside Bomber Lake at 10,000 ft. The location for viewing the eclipse is just a couple miles from the campsite at about 11,000 ft. The hike to the lake is on an unofficial, but well-used trail. The hike to the photo location is trailless, but above treeline.
    You may want to take a look at "Beyond Trails in the Wind River Mountains of Wyoming" by Nancy Pallister.

Bring sunscreen.
    Sounds like a great trip. I'll be in Nashville, where the cloud probability is higher, but there are many more options for moving to clear skies.
    That, and backpacking an 8-inch 'scope isn't in the cards.
    57.53% When in doubt, go up.

Tillson, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    I will be in the Grand Teton Park for about 5 days. I plan to observe the Eclipse from near the Jackson Hole Airport. I will not be joining you, but if we could meet somewhere before or especially after, that would be cool.
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO
    Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

I will be on the eclipse center line in central Missouri with my wife and telescope, staying with lucky friends who live locally very near the center line.
    "She's all my fancy painted her, she's lovely, she is light. She waltzes on the waves by day and rests with me at night." - Nessmuk, Forest and Stream, July 21, 1880 [of the Wood Drake Canoe built for him by Rushton]