Camera/Storage Case For Backpack Straps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
In several blogs I have read recently I've seen people wearing very nice camera pouches that appear to slip over the straps of a backpack for quick access. Can anyone recommend a brand or model like this? I've done some research online but apparently I'm calling it the wrong thing or the website doesn't offer a view of the back so I can see how it attaches to a strap, etc. Not looking for a crazy large pouch. Just a simple one roughly the size of the camera itself with appropriate padding and a quality zipper. My last pouch (which only attached to a belt) wasn't very durable and the stitching for the zipper seam failed, rendering it useless.

What size camera?

I like a separate strap for my camera, because it's easy to damage my camera (or my teeth) while swinging the backpack on and off.

If it's for a small point-and-shoot camera, you should be able to make something perfect for you with any old case, some Velcro, and five minutes of sewing. Larger cameras require a bit more planning around how to carry the weight.

As nartreb noted, we cannot make any specific suggestions without knowing the camera and lens. However, if it is a recent camera, you can look it up at Adorama (http://www.adorama.com/) or B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/) and look under accessories for compatible camera cases. Lowepro is one reputable manufacturer.

FWIW, my point-and-shoot is small enough to carry in a pocket (in a close-fitting case). When I bring a DSLR, I generally carry it in my pack or in a bandoleer carry using the strap. When it is in my pack, it is in a stuff sack lined with a watch cap or a neoprene bag. This adapts easily to a range of lenses. (Many camera cases are much larger than the camera and this takes up less pack space.)

Doug

Last edited:
Sorry. My bad. It is a point and click, not a DSLR or anything cumbersome. I take quite a few pictures, particularly when I take a trail for the first time, so I prefer to have my camera "at the ready" without stopping to get it out of a pack. When I wear on my hipbelt it often finds its way over the thighs and can be annoying on steeper trails when stepping up, jabbing me in the gut, etc. It's not a huge deal in Winter because I almost always wear some sort of garment with a chest pocket. In warmer weather that's not an option.

The cases I recently saw (which of course now I can't recall where that was so I could post a photo of what I mean) appear to attach right to the shoulder straps of the pack where the chest strap cuts across. That way it is basically at chest height ready to quickly sip out of the pouch and snap a photo. My efforts to Google a backpack camera pouch is bringing up actual camera storage backpacks for significant amounts of camera gear.

DougPaul: I have come across many Lowepro models on line that size wise are perfect but they all seem to have the hipbelt loop (i.e. vertical not horizontal). They look like nice cases but I just can't seem to find the attachment style I want.

DougPaul: I have come across many Lowepro models on line that size wise are perfect but they all seem to have the hipbelt loop (i.e. vertical not horizontal). They look like nice cases but I just can't seem to find the attachment style I want.
You could put a webbing sling/strap through the loop and carry it bandoleer style. Different from what you are requesting, but it might do the job well enough.

Doug

Sorry. My bad. It is a point and click, not a DSLR or anything cumbersome. I take quite a few pictures, particularly when I take a trail for the first time, so I prefer to have my camera "at the ready" without stopping to get it out of a pack.
When I were using point-and-shoot I had a camera pouch made by Sun Dog and l liked it quite a lot (it was also useful for holding small maps handy. Something like this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SUNDOG-SOFT-...234145?hash=item282f7a4561:g:uiwAAOSwXYtY2BCu

I now use Sony a6000 with 18-200 mm lens, so the combo is quite a bit bigger, hence I bough a cheap Case Logic camera holster and I added a Velcro band to mount it on my backpack strap. It does not look too pretty but I have quick access to my camera and despite its size it does not bother me much.

A couple of years ago, while hiking in California, I saw a guy with a different a mount that looked like this: https://www.peakdesign.com/capture and he was using it for his DSLR.

You might also search for a "cuban hitch camera", "cuban hitch binocular", or a "binocular harness". Don't know if the cuban hitch is still available.

Both are aimed at cameras or binoculars a bit heavier than a P&S, but they would probably work well.

Doug

I have a long long cord on my camera for when I wear it sea kayaking I need to be able to take pics with my outstretched hand and I don't want the camera to get lost if it gets dropped into the ocean.

When I took my camera hiking, the long cord looks a bit out of place but I soon found an easy way to utilize it by just slipping the camera into unzipped pocket on my backpack's hipbelt. This way it is very easy and quick to just (all with one hand) grab it, turn it on, frame the shot, take the shot, turn it off and slip it back into the pocket.

When I were using point-and-shoot I had a camera pouch made by Sun Dog and l liked it quite a lot (it was also useful for holding small maps handy. Something like this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SUNDOG-SOFT-...234145?hash=item282f7a4561:g:uiwAAOSwXYtY2BCu

I now use Sony a6000 with 18-200 mm lens, so the combo is quite a bit bigger, hence I bough a cheap Case Logic camera holster and I added a Velcro band to mount it on my backpack strap. It does not look too pretty but I have quick access to my camera and despite its size it does not bother me much.

A couple of years ago, while hiking in California, I saw a guy with a different a mount that looked like this: https://www.peakdesign.com/capture and he was using it for his DSLR.

That Sundog case is along the lines of what I was thinking but I really wanted a solid strap or loop, not Velcro. Do you ever get it caught on something and rip it off?

You might also search for a "cuban hitch camera", "cuban hitch binocular", or a "binocular harness". Don't know if the cuban hitch is still available.

Both are aimed at cameras or binoculars a bit heavier than a P&S, but they would probably work well.

Doug

Probably too elaborate for what I want, although these are a nice idea. A few years back I had bought one of those Ribz chest carrier contraptions but after one Winter season I stopped using it. Was a bit too much and the straps got super annoying under the backpack. Taking the backpack on and off caused all kinds of tangling. I finally decided I couldn't have easy access to everything all the time and would just have to cave in and take my pack off every now and then. I even bought one of those small Husky tool holsters for my hip belt that was just big enough for carrying camera, compass, spare batteries and bug spray handy but it was so rigid it always found it's way over my legs and became super annoying as well and all the slots were uncovered so I always worried about inadvertently losing an item in it.

I have a long long cord on my camera for when I wear it sea kayaking I need to be able to take pics with my outstretched hand and I don't want the camera to get lost if it gets dropped into the ocean.

When I took my camera hiking, the long cord looks a bit out of place but I soon found an easy way to utilize it by just slipping the camera into unzipped pocket on my backpack's hipbelt. This way it is very easy and quick to just (all with one hand) grab it, turn it on, frame the shot, take the shot, turn it off and slip it back into the pocket.

My hip belt pouches are dedicated navigation and "staying moving without having to get in the pack" stuff. Compass/whistle/tiny click light on one side and spare batteries on the other. Been pretty particular about keeping those items in there for ready access over the years. Always seems like the GPS batteries (or headlamp batteries) die right as it is getting dark and as many here on VFTT have stressed over the years you always want your compass somewhere that you will not hesitate to pull it out and use it. So I've committed those valuable, easy access pockets to these items.

I bought a ballistic pouch from the Army Surplus store in North Conway, not for my camera, but same idea, easy access. While it hangs down about 8 inches, it has a slot for the waistbelt to pass through, then I tie a piece of perlon cord to the pouch and back to the back of my waistbelt, then sinch it tight, to keep it out of the way. Don't even know it's there, even on scrambles.

That Sundog case is along the lines of what I was thinking but I really wanted a solid strap or loop, not Velcro. Do you ever get it caught on something and rip it off?
I have never had a problem with my Sun Dog camera pouch - the Velcro straps were pretty solid and never got caught on anything or let go. I just looked at the link I sent you and the specs are 7 inches deep, so at least 2 inches bigger than what I think mine was. Maybe Sun Dog still makes smaller cases?

I carry my point-and-shoot camera pouch at breast level on the front of my right-hand shoulder strap. The pouch is your standard soft/small pouch with belt strap in back. The way I met the challenge of mating a vertical belt strap (intended for a horizontal belt) with a vertical shoulder strap was via a small elastic Velcro strap from EMS or REI, "bargain priced" at something like $9.99/pr., wrapped twice around the two verticals (the strap was too long for once around). There would be an issue of having the thing ride down the shoulder strap, but the pack's sternum strap stops it in just the right spot. There's actually no need for the elastic-ness, so something much more cost effective should work just fine.

Alex

I have never had a problem with my Sun Dog camera pouch - the Velcro straps were pretty solid and never got caught on anything or let go. I just looked at the link I sent you and the specs are 7 inches deep, so at least 2 inches bigger than what I think mine was. Maybe Sun Dog still makes smaller cases?

I found an actual shoulder strap case made by Granite Gear that is closer to what I was looking for - two big velcro straps on back but also a series of sewn in, daisy chain type loops vertically. Might do what I want.

Based on what I've seen of cases to this point I have to assume the case I saw that originally prompted this thread was probably not intended for a camera but that is just how I imagined it when I saw it and am probably looking for the wrong thing. The search continues....

I could have been more clear - I didn't mean a small patch of velcro that would allow you to tear your camera case off, I meant a wrap-around velcro strap like what Alexmtn uses (but not elastic). That has zero risk of falling off accidentally and also allows you to attach your case to any of your backpacks (day pack vs camping) with no extra effort. If your case has a belt loop, you don't need to do any sewing at all.

I could have been more clear - I didn't mean a small patch of velcro that would allow you to tear your camera case off, I meant a wrap-around velcro strap like what Alexmtn uses (but not elastic). That has zero risk of falling off accidentally and also allows you to attach your case to any of your backpacks (day pack vs camping) with no extra effort. If your case has a belt loop, you don't need to do any sewing at all.

A good photo shop will have a variety of shoulder holsters that will go on a pack shoulder strap. Getting them online can be hit or miss due to fit.

I saw quite a few people with this sort of setup while hiking in Banff. Other than carrying the camera without protection, there is no faster way to access it.

Here is one thing to consider. In the event that you come across a great scene with wildlife, a velcro sealing mechanism can create alot of disappointment.
The noise of peeling the velcro may ruin the moment....just something to consider.

Here's what I've been using for quite a few years: Eagle Creek Camera Case. It also uses velcro straps to secure it to the pack strap but much like iAmKrys, I've never really had any problems with it staying put. In situations like bushwacking where I might be more nervous about it, I can take the strap on the camera itself and attach it to the pack strap with a girth hitch or something similar. Still never had it let go even in such situations. Another nice feature of the case is that behind the velcro straps is a belt loop attachment. A piece of paracord or similar run through that and attached to the pack strap would be another way to tether the camera against being dislodged.

Only one modification would I recommend. The small pouch on the front is ideal for storing spare batteries but it was too loose on top and I found the batteries could fall out when the case wasn't in a nearly vertical position. A couple stitches of thread through the middle of the opening solved the problem. It might take a few seconds more to work the batteries up to where you can pinch them out through the smaller openings but I've never had them fall out on their own since.

In studying the item for sale on ebay it seems to lack the velcro straps. I suppose some could be added but you might want to inquire of the seller if there are indeed none. Seems like Eagle Creek has discontinued making that case. Fewer people carry cameras these days I suppose.

Last edited:
I think what I'm going to wind up doing is getting a hip pouch and relocating my compass/light/whistle stuff from one of the hip belt pockets on pack to it and putting the camera in there like Brambor suggested. Seems like many more options with hip belt models so it will probably be easier to go that route rather than try to find the perfect camera pouch for the shoulder strap. I usually have my map separate from that stuff anyway because it is too small to stuff in there without folding excessively so it will solve another issue if I go that route.

I have a small PNS - approx. 3" x 4" x 1" with lens retracted. I bought a small canvas pouch at Walmart or Target, intended for a belt. I just use a small carabiner. Sometimes I carry it on the shoulder strap so it sits at my hip, sometimes on the front of the shoulder strap on one of the loops. Easy enough, quickly accessible, never an issue of detachment. In winter I do the same but slip a hand-warmer in the pouch. Works well for me, YMMV.