Black flies starting to appear in Milan NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
They were out but not biting in Milan over near York Pond. No trace at my place in Gorham but I usually don't have them as very prolific as there isn't a lot of flowing open water nearby.

Lines up with the "in by Mothers Day and gone by Fathers day schedule".

By the way, soon after I wrote this is started snowing.

Last edited:
Mothers Day was last weekend and the black flies were out last evening in Gorham. It was nice while it lasted ;(. Time to get the ultrathon out and the head net.

I was on Kearsage North on Sunday and the black flies were out in full force at the summit. Not an issue when moving, but swarming when trying to take a break on top and enjoying the view. Right on the edge of getting the head net out. Hopefully they will take the hint and clear out by Fathers Day ;)

I hiked the Safford Notch Trail/AT to Avery Peak in the Bigelows and back yesterday. Not one black fly was seen, or felt. I ate lunch at the tower and spent about an hour there lots of bugs, but no black flies. Just lucky I guess.

Up in Nash Stream last w/e and really no problems at all. Kind of weird. Lots of mosquitos though.