Hurricane/Extreme Lighters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I'm heading out on my first camping trip of the season (car camping) next weekend so I've been going through all my stuff to make sure I didn't lose or run out of anything. I knew my lighter had died on my last trip in 2016 so I got to wondering if it might be worth "upgrading" my traditional BIC lighter with something more hard core for bad weather. I probably light about 50% of my fires with one of those magnesium blocks/strikers and a lighter for the other times where conditions are challenging, I'm pressed for time or just flat out lazy.

Are the hurricane lighters/hard core lighters legitimately better when it is super windy/rainy or is that all just marketing hype? How long does fuel last? Can they be refilled or do you have to buy another one when they run out? It's for car camping only so I'm not overly concerned about the weight penalty of such a unit but I don't want it to be particularly large either. If anybody uses such a unit and has a brand recommendation or feedback I'd appreciate it.

Here's my 2 cents. I've never used Hurricane lighters, but have looked at them. To me, I did not want the hassle of fuel and such for them. I just use Bic lighters and storm matches from REI. They are amazing for lighting fires. The sulfer goes down about 2 inches and they go off quite well. I store them in one of those orange watertight containers, that I'm almost sure I also got at REI, also I have a good size strike pad in the container as well. They never go bad and they won't run out of fuel. I'm pretty dang good at fire starting in any conditions, its all in your tinder and construction. Ok 4 cents.:eek:

Here's my 2 cents. I've never used Hurricane lighters, but have looked at them. To me, I did not want the hassle of fuel and such for them. I just use Bic lighters and storm matches from REI. They are amazing for lighting fires. The sulfer goes down about 2 inches and they go off quite well. I store them in one of those orange watertight containers, that I'm almost sure I also got at REI, also I have a good size strike pad in the container as well. They never go bad and they won't run out of fuel. I'm pretty dang good at fire starting in any conditions, its all in your tinder and construction. Ok 4 cents.:eek:

Thanks. I have some of those matches too. I try to keep 3-4 different fire starting options and several back up items like Esbit tabs, steel wool, etc. with me. On a normal day the magnesium and striker is sufficient and I force myself to do it for the practice. But when it's raining and everyone is getting antzy to get the fire roaring quick is good too. I actually camp with a guy who brings a propane torch with him to start his fire. That's a bit much for me and doesn't feel very sporting....but it does work pretty good. :p

Thanks. I have some of those matches too. I try to keep 3-4 different fire starting options and several back up items like Esbit tabs, steel wool, etc. with me. On a normal day the magnesium and striker is sufficient and I force myself to do it for the practice. But when it's raining and everyone is getting antzy to get the fire roaring quick is good too. I actually camp with a guy who brings a propane torch with him to start his fire. That's a bit much for me and doesn't feel very sporting....but it does work pretty good. :p

That's a little redundant don't you think? When you backpack, I bet your load is heavy. A bic and some matches, if you cant get a fire after that, you need to study fire making, not fire lighting tools.:p

I just carry a back up Bic when backpacking along with a Swedish Army firesteel.. I'm considering getting an ExoTac Firesleeve for the Bics, more for the ability to keep the flame on easier.

For car camping, I prefer a Zippo, with a bottle of lighter fluid in the gear.

That's a little redundant don't you think? When you backpack, I bet your load is heavy. A bic and some matches, if you cant get a fire after that, you need to study fire making, not fire lighting tools.:p

This is for car camping as previously noted. And yes it is redundant intentionally in case something fails. Normally I camp where I can just take a ride down the road and buy a lighter if I need one but past year and this coming year I've been doing more "remote" camping like Baxter and the Adirondacks where I like having a back up method(s). When I backpack, which is honestly pretty rare but something I plan on doing a lot more of this year, I usually have the BIC lighter, the magnesium/striker and an Esbit tab as a last resort if I can't get anything burning (which would likely never happen anyway because on the rare occasions I do backpack it's in good weather or I don't bother).

I've got a Soto pocket torch. Necessary? Not at all, but I kinda dig the torch-like operation. It's just fun. A good party trick. Makes the girls throw their panties at you.*

Actually, I carry that and an orange container of stormproof matches year round, and that's it. I think I've pulled out the storm proof matches on a small number of occassions but I don't remember why. The torch usually does the trick. I put it in my pocket for like 30 seconds in the winter to warm up the fuel. The extending arm is actually kinda nice. It helped get my old Whisperlite started without taking off my knuckle hairs (and I REALLY need all those knuckle hairs...). And now with my Reactor, it's sort of nice to keep my hand a little further away from the flame. I've refilled it twice, which is easy and nice.

*Untrue

I've got a Soto pocket torch. Necessary? Not at all, but I kinda dig the torch-like operation. It's just fun. A good party trick. Makes the girls throw their panties at you.*

Actually, I carry that and an orange container of stormproof matches year round, and that's it. I think I've pulled out the storm proof matches on a small number of occassions but I don't remember why. The torch usually does the trick. I put it in my pocket for like 30 seconds in the winter to warm up the fuel. The extending arm is actually kinda nice. It helped get my old Whisperlite started without taking off my knuckle hairs (and I REALLY need all those knuckle hairs...). And now with my Reactor, it's sort of nice to keep my hand a little further away from the flame. I've refilled it twice, which is easy and nice.

*Untrue

On a serious note, is the unit pretty well sealed so if it winds up upside down, etc in a container, pack, etc it doesn't leak?

On a serious note, is the unit pretty well sealed so if it winds up upside down, etc in a container, pack, etc it doesn't leak?

In three years or so of use, mine has never leaked. And that's getting shoved and squished in all manner of orientations into my winter pack. It feels very well made. I have to think the valve for refilling it is designed in such a way that it would be pretty difficult to get it to leak.

I have one of those hurricane lighters. The one I have is made by UST. http://www.ustbrands.com/product/floating-lighter-orange/ It's windproof, waterproof, and it floats. I bought it to carry on my kayak after losing a brand new Bic overboard. I think it was around $20 at West Marine, but its probably available for less somewhere else or online. It works great, as advertised. It lights in strong wind. It lights wet things well and lights when the lighter itself is wet. It can adjust from a small flame to a large flame. It's refillable and the fuel lasts quite a while with only occasional use. I'm still using a 2.5 oz. bottle of Ronson butane fuel purchased at a Lil' Champ convenience store in Florida circa 1999, with no signs of needing to get more anytime soon. It is small, durable, lightweight (about 1 ounce with fuel and a homemade paracord lanyard) and easier to use than stormproof matches. Like I said, I originally got it for kayaking, but always toss it in my pack for day hikes or backpacking trips and it works a treat. There are dozens of different brands and designs of these type of butane lighters, but I suspect they all work about equally well. The only advice I would give is get one where the cap/lid opens 180 degrees (my UST lighter only opens 90 deg.) it makes lighting tinder a lot easier and more comfortable. For 20 bucks and a fuel bottle that lasts almost 2 decades, you can't really go wrong.