Trail Conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTskier

Reaction score
Weather is looking amazing Thursday & Friday, so thinking of taking a couple days off from work and getting in some first hikes. I see Mt Washington got 33 inches of snow, but wondering about some low level trails, like Zealand (is the road open?) or maybe just hike up Valley Way, or Nineteen Mile Brook Trail? Just looking to get out and stretch the legs.

Thanx's

Weather is looking amazing Thursday & Friday, so thinking of taking a couple days off from work and getting in some first hikes. I see Mt Washington got 33 inches of snow, but wondering about some low level trails, like Zealand (is the road open?) or maybe just hike up Valley Way, or Nineteen Mile Brook Trail? Just looking to get out and stretch the legs.

Thanx's

Last I checked the website said Zealand Rd is open. With all this rain and more snow melt, Thoreau falls would be a fine destination.

I would guess the RMC trails on the North or RT 2 (Mt Randolph and MT Crescent) would be snow free, try to wrap in Lookout Ledge. If you want melted out trails, Welch Dickey in Waterville Valley is a great hike. South Moat from Passaconaway road in North Conway should be snow free. Kearsage North is nice hike but the last 1/2 mile in the woods and probably has a monorail so microspikes are needed. The Giant Falls and Dryad Falls in Shelburne NH are always nice this time of year.

The heavy rain and warm temps will knock back the snow pack but once the monorail is formed it takes a lot of warm days and nights to burn it out.

I would guess the RMC trails on the North or RT 2 (Mt Randolph and MT Crescent) would be snow free, try to wrap in Lookout Ledge.

Saturday I made a 13-mile loop north of RT2 in Randolph and saw almost no snow. I did not hike along the Crescent Ridge but some other hikers reported some patches of rotten snow and monorail but nothing constant.

From what I've read and heard from the LW Station, up high they still have significant snow. Open south face slopes likely will be snow free to a higher elevation than north facing trails or others in thick fir and spruce. Still too early for high ridges like Wildcat Ridge, Garfield Ridge and Twinway. OBP probably the best way up Franconia Ridge, Likely Caps Ridge for the central and northern Presidentials assuming the road is clear. Trail within the trees will be mostly covered in deep snow but it breaks out into the open pretty low.

Probably a good time for lower peaks like Cardigan, Welch-Dickey, Belknap Range and Ossipees

Thanx's
The Catskills have been snow free for 3 weeks now (except the flurries we got the weekend before last)! :D

Thanx's for all the suggestions, looks very, very warm on Thursday, Think I'll just head to the Randolph trails and see what's up. At least the trails will be quiet and empty

Has anyone been up the Ammonoosuc Ravine trail recently? I figure it's probably a couple of weeks out from being clear, but sort of okay? There's still a bunch of snow in the presis near Madison Hut, was just there the other day, otherwise it was nice but summiting didn't seem so much fun so I skipped it (them). It's so fun when there's still a decent snowpack and it's 70-90 out, feels like walking around on huge ice cubes on a summer day.

Are the higher summits in the Whites finally mostly snow-free and you don't need snowshoes?? I was thinking of doing the Weeks range in the Cabot/Waumbek area next weekend and wondering if the massive amounts of snow had finally melted off?? Or will NH's eternal winter keeping going through August?