Owl's Head 5/20

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan J

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm planning to hike Owl's Head this Saturday and was curious if anyone knows what the water crossings are like currently? Also, is all the snow gone by now? Any information is appreciated. Thanks

It going to be wet, muddy and good chance for pretty serious black flies. Your only chance is the Black Pond bushwhack as the crossings on the trailed route are going to be deep and quite cold There will most likely be snow pack at the top of the slide to the summit. It most likely will be "rotten" so expect deep postholing in spots.

Keep in mind no cell service in that area of the Pemi, if you get in trouble unless you have Spot or a PLB you aren't calling for help.

Unless you have to have this summit for some sort of list do yourself a favor and delay about 3 or 4 weeks.

Thanks for the info and advice. Yes, it is for a list. Hopefully it's not a bad as you suggest it could be. Sounds like we'll be doing the Black Pond Bushwhack.

By the weekend it should be down around 500 CFS. Not terrible but if you stay on trail it will likely reach almost to the crotch. Bushwhack or not you will have to cross water and get wet above the knees at some point so be ready for that part.
Otherwise this is really a nice walk up the river with a short jaunt in the woods with a little scrambling up owls head in typical spring conditions. Happy Trails

By the weekend it should be down around 500 CFS. Not terrible but if you stay on trail it will likely reach almost to the crotch. Bushwhack or not you will have to cross water and get wet above the knees at some point so be ready for that part.
Otherwise this is really a nice walk up the river with a short jaunt in the woods with a little scrambling up owls head in typical spring conditions. Happy Trails

Yes, I see it is dropping quickly and with little rain in the forecast between now and then it should be more reasonable.

The bushwhack sounds pretty open and looks like it cuts a mile off the trip, so might be worth doing it anyway?

Does anyone have an idea of snow depth at 4000 feet? I was planning on bringing micro spikes, but should I bring snowshoes too?

This is one of these threads where not knowing your abilities can lead to widely varying answers. Given your low post count and questions you could be a "clueless first time 4 K wannabe" or someone who is working on the 12x 48 list and thus highly experienced. Since you stated in a later reply that you need to do this hike in specific month to meet a list, odds are you are an experienced hiker? Unfortunately your recent question asking about the Black Pond bushwhack gives me pause again as if you are working on 12 by 48 list you probably would have done this bushwhack before as its pretty much the standard winter route. So do I give you a very conservative reply like I did previously or do I assume that you have loads of early spring hiking experience and bushwhacking skills?

Snow depth at 4,000 feet is still a relative question highly dependent upon tree cover and exposure. Most recent reports are there is snow in the woods above 3000 feet,, by this weekend it may be up to 3500. Given that you have elected to do the westerly approach via the path, that means pretty consistent dense softwoods from the top of the slide up. If you do Brutus instead of the slide, there is slot of white birches that probably were caused by the construction of the dugway that Brutus follows. Unfortunately once Brutus ends you now have to bushwhack west through potential snowpack. Realistically snowshoes for spring bushwhacking are pretty much a waste as any traction gained rapidly get ruined by sticks and brush trying to rip them off. Given the westerly exposure and dense woods I believe that you will find enough snow to make for potential slow going on the summit ridge. I have no doubt that the woods are melted from the praking lot to the approach to the slide which is where snow shoes may have been useful.

The stream flow has been discussed, at this time of the year there are two factors that work opposite each other. Rain definitely will increase the flow but a couple of hot days in a row with no rain can sometimes accelerate breakdown of the snow pack meaning higher than expected flows . Every bit of water in the pemi basin eventually comes down to the streams you need to cross. What is potential hazardous is in these hot weather melts, the flows are low in the AM due to lower overnight temps and then increase as the day warms up. Therefore someone can do a safe crossing in the AM and get in trouble in the afternoon. If you have bivy gear its sometimes means staying the night and starting early AM to allow the flow to drop again as the temps drop. Given the potential risk of four total major stream crossings, the Black Pond bushwhack eliminates that risk if you get the bearing and elevation correct. Ideally you want to do a straight line from the pond gaining elevation to come out above the obvious bend in Lincoln Brook, folks tend to naturally follow a contour and if you get too far east of the ideal line the woods are wetter than the map leads you to believe and its just wasted effort. Note its hard to get lost heading north from Black Pond in the morning but with no snowshoe track to follow its not that hard to miss Black Pond in the afternoon. If you go too far east you end up in the Franconia Falls drainage and eventually end up on the Lincoln Woods trail while too far west could add a mile to your bushwhack unless you recognize Birch Island Brook and follow it back down to the Black pond trail. Note in spring conditions the to crossings on the LBT just before the turnoff to the path can be deep and quite cold.

Last edited:
Also worth noting on the Black Pond Bushwhack, if you are too far east, there is the slightly rougher 'Fisherman's Whack' the continues where the Franconia Falls trail ends. Both will lead you to the same spot. Depending where you are, it might be a steep and loose drop down to the Fisherman's Whack. If you err too far west, you'll be going uphill a bunch. The whack is generally pretty flat and gradual, which most people preferring to stay more west, slightly uphill to avoid what's sure to be some very wet conditions/vernal pools in the low spots. Following a compass due north will get you there for sure. On the way back, the whack starts right as the 1st crossing of Lincoln Brook, and there is a clearing/campsite there, so it's very obvious on the way back.

Keep an eye out on trailsnh.com to see if anyone posts a more recent OH trip report too. The last one I saw was from the 29th, which made it sound like spikes would be sufficient. Keep an eye on the Pemi gauge too. Some places at elevation got a lot of fresh snow in the past couple days that is going to melt quickly. It may be gone by this weekend, but worth keep an eye on. Good luck!

This is one of these threads where not knowing your abilities can lead to widely varying answers. Given your low post count and questions you could be a "clueless first time 4 K wannabe" or someone who is working on the 12x 48 list and thus highly experienced. Since you stated in a later reply that you need to do this hike in specific month to meet a list, odds are you are an experienced hiker? Unfortunately your recent question asking about the Black Pond bushwhack gives me pause again as if you are working on 12 by 48 list you probably would have done this bushwhack before as its pretty much the standard winter route. So do I give you a very conservative reply like I did previously or do I assume that you have loads of early spring hiking experience and bushwhacking skills?

Snow depth at 4,000 feet is still a relative question highly dependent upon tree cover and exposure. Most recent reports are there is snow in the woods above 3000 feet,, by this weekend it may be up to 3500. Given that you have elected to do the westerly approach via the path, that means pretty consistent dense softwoods from the top of the slide up. If you do Brutus instead of the slide, there is slot of white birches that probably were caused by the construction of the dugway that Brutus follows. Unfortunately once Brutus ends you now have to bushwhack west through potential snowpack. Realistically snowshoes for spring bushwhacking are pretty much a waste as any traction gained rapidly get ruined by sticks and brush trying to rip them off. Given the westerly exposure and dense woods I believe that you will find enough snow to make for potential slow going on the summit ridge. I have no doubt that the woods are melted from the praking lot to the approach to the slide which is where snow shoes may have been useful.

The stream flow has been discussed, at this time of the year there are two factors that work opposite each other. Rain definitely will increase the flow but a couple of hot days in a row with no rain can sometimes accelerate breakdown of the snow pack meaning higher than expected flows . Every bit of water in the pemi basin eventually comes down to the streams you need to cross. What is potential hazardous is in these hot weather melts, the flows are low in the AM due to lower overnight temps and then increase as the day warms up. Therefore someone can do a safe crossing in the AM and get in trouble in the afternoon. If you have bivy gear its sometimes means staying the night and starting early AM to allow the flow to drop again as the temps drop. Given the potential risk of four total major stream crossings, the Black Pond bushwhack eliminates that risk if you get the bearing and elevation correct. Ideally you want to do a straight line from the pond gaining elevation to come out above the obvious bend in Lincoln Brook, folks tend to naturally follow a contour and if you get too far east of the ideal line the woods are wetter than the map leads you to believe and its just wasted effort. Note its hard to get lost heading north from Black Pond in the morning but with no snowshoe track to follow its not that hard to miss Black Pond in the afternoon. If you go too far east you end up in the Franconia Falls drainage and eventually end up on the Lincoln Woods trail while too far west could add a mile to your bushwhack unless you recognize Birch Island Brook and follow it back down to the Black pond trail. Note in spring conditions the to crossings on the LBT just before the turnoff to the path can be deep and quite cold.

I'm not working on my 12x48 at this point, but am working on the NE115. Owl's Head is my final peak in N.H. then I will have completed everything except Maine. I'm driving 4.5 hours from upstate N.Y. and don't want to cancel and try to reschedule my trip. I'm just trying to get as much information to be as prepared as possible. Thanks for all your help and insight. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Also worth noting on the Black Pond Bushwhack, if you are too far east, there is the slightly rougher 'Fisherman's Whack' the continues where the Franconia Falls trail ends. Both will lead you to the same spot. Depending where you are, it might be a steep and loose drop down to the Fisherman's Whack. If you err too far west, you'll be going uphill a bunch. The whack is generally pretty flat and gradual, which most people preferring to stay more west, slightly uphill to avoid what's sure to be some very wet conditions/vernal pools in the low spots. Following a compass due north will get you there for sure. On the way back, the whack starts right as the 1st crossing of Lincoln Brook, and there is a clearing/campsite there, so it's very obvious on the way back.

Keep an eye out on trailsnh.com to see if anyone posts a more recent OH trip report too. The last one I saw was from the 29th, which made it sound like spikes would be sufficient. Keep an eye on the Pemi gauge too. Some places at elevation got a lot of fresh snow in the past couple days that is going to melt quickly. It may be gone by this weekend, but worth keep an eye on. Good luck!

Thanks for the trailsnh.com tip. I didn't know about that site.

As someone who is a definitive Owl's Head hater and also drives 3-4 hours to trail heads for most of my hikes, I would strongly recommend the Black Pond bushwhack if you are comfortable with off trail travel. I think I even have the GPX track for it that was given to me here for Winter, which would give you a decent idea of how the bushwhack should go. (Disclaimer: I'm not sure how obvious the BW is in the Summer; I have only done in Winter, which was quite easy to follow).

The obvious advantage of skipping all of the dangerous river crossings is not the only benefit. It also saves some mileage vs the standard route but it also saves lots of seriously boring mileage. The Black Pond Trail and bushwhack is substantially more interesting than the mind numbing boredom of Lincoln Woods Trail and much of the Lincoln/Franconia Brook Trails. The Bushwhack basically dumps you out at the point where the trail becomes scenic again. All logistics aside, saving the boredom as you trudge out of the woods at the end of day will make that 4.5 hour ride a little more bearable. :)

As someone who is a definitive Owl's Head hater and also drives 3-4 hours to trail heads for most of my hikes, I would strongly recommend the Black Pond bushwhack if you are comfortable with off trail travel. I think I even have the GPX track for it that was given to me here for Winter, which would give you a decent idea of how the bushwhack should go. (Disclaimer: I'm not sure how obvious the BW is in the Summer; I have only done in Winter, which was quite easy to follow).

The obvious advantage of skipping all of the dangerous river crossings is not the only benefit. It also saves some mileage vs the standard route but it also saves lots of seriously boring mileage. The Black Pond Trail and bushwhack is substantially more interesting than the mind numbing boredom of Lincoln Woods Trail and much of the Lincoln/Franconia Brook Trails. The Bushwhack basically dumps you out at the point where the trail becomes scenic again. All logistics aside, saving the boredom as you trudge out of the woods at the end of day will make that 4.5 hour ride a little more bearable. :)

Cool, thanks for the input. I am definitely planning on doing the Black Pond bushwhack at this point. Seems like a win/win.

I personally don't mind the regular route especially in the fall. A few years ago we did the Black Pond Bushwhack in and then bushwhacked east from the summit to the Hellgate area on FBT and then out via the trails. I really cant recommend the bushwhack down the east side ;)

I personally don't mind the regular route especially in the fall. A few years ago we did the Black Pond Bushwhack in and then bushwhacked east from the summit to the Hellgate area on FBT and then out via the trails. I really cant recommend the bushwhack down the east side ;)

Agreed. IF the crossings are low the trail itself is a pleasant walk. It (the whack) doesn't save much distance on the Lincoln Woods trail, which is the most tedious stretch of the trip, IMO. It does get you to Black Pond though, which is beautiful. My favorite approach to that area is the via the Lincoln Slide, but that doesn't doesn't save an effort.

I'll add my 2 cents here. Years ago when we did OH first time we did BP BW on way in, but opted for the Fisherman BW on way out on account it was getting dark and none of us was particularly confident in our off-trail navigation. Darkness comes early down in Lincoln Brook valley what with the shadow cast by Franconia Ridge. Fisherman's can get thick at times, but at least you always know where you are. Might be tricky hitting Black Pond in the dark, certainly much easier if you're using GPS and know how to use it. It's a long day so make sure you carry headlamp. Good place to start BW on return is to start at the brook crossing. Steer towards higher ground as lower terrain can be pretty soggy. Woods along BP BW are mostly open hardwoods so at least you don't need to worry about battling through thick spruce.

Last edited:
In the summer you shouldn't have any issues making it back in daylight. I enjoyed both my fall and winter trips to OH, both of which used BP and Brutus BW. Even the winter trip there was sufficient light and approaching twilight at BP in winter is awesome. Despite all the hub bub about OH, there are much longer day trips that also involve a lot more in elevation gain. Other than OH itself, the trip is virtually flat. As DayTrip notes above, the BWs undoubtedly make the trip more of an adventure and keep you focused.

Cool, great info again. Looking forward to it!

In the non-snow months, definitely do the OH slide. I went up Brutus and down the slide in the fall. I was worried the dog would have issues on the slide but turned out not to be the case. I think maybe one or two 3 foot lifts to get the dog down in a few spots. No big deal. In winter, do the Brutus BW. If you do Brutus, make sure you have a good track. If you go too far north you will hit some difficult spruce I think around 3200 ft.