Head net for bugs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
I went hiking today and when I got out of the car at the trailhead, the bugs were all over me. I spraid myself with "Bens" and they were still buzzing but not biting. Once I started hiking they were driving me nuts. I almost turned around and went back home.Then I remembered I had a bug net in my pack. I put it on and it made a big difference. It saved the day. I kept it on the whole hike and it was comfortable enough. It kept the bugs away. I was thinking that I never once saw anyone else wearing one. How come? Is it because they're goofy looking? From now on I'm keeping one in my backpack always during bug season. If you see an old funny looking guy with a goofy looking net on his head, stop and say hello. 😜

Well you haven't looked closely enough because when the bugs are bad I don't hesitate to pull out my wide brim hat and put bug net over the hat. I find the wide brim hat keeps the netting away from the skin and I don't really even notice the netting after a while. I also go with the long sleeve shirt and full length pants. I've gotten plenty of looks with the bug net on but I could care less. Like you said it certainly saves the day.

I carry a bug net but rarely need it when I am actuall hiking. If on the other hand I am camping or stationary, I do use a bug net on occasion.

I used mine all weekend. Didnt much need it while hiking, but when stopped, it was over my head. We stopped at Basin Pond after hiking the Badin Rim trail and thebugs were all over me. Looked over at my girlfriend and not a flie around her. Pointed at the black cloud around me, and she started laughing. I got back in the car. They didnt bother her.

I wish I brought mine on Saturday while hiking Speckled Mtn. I saw some backpackers with head nets, but no similarly clad day hikers. Like others have said, who cares what others think. Gaiters look weird. Hiking poles are strange. Get over it.
The one good thing about black flies is that they are totally stupid. So easy to swat. When I opened my car door, zillions swarmed in. My hot dashboard was a graveyard for the dozens that landed and never took off. Whether they instantly fried, or their legs melted onto the plastic, I don't care!

My basics during bug season: headnet, l/s shirts (Buzz Off and the like), long pants, glove liners, Buzz Off socks - wear PRN.

It's also helpful to hike with someone who's earned the trailname 'Flypaper' but women usually attract more bugs because of the scents they more commonly wear, even unintentionally in soaps and shampoos. If you use scented products, preferable to stick with verbena or lavender, herbal bases that have some repellent properties.

For actual repellents, I start with herbal concoctions with ingredients that read like salad dressing and work the way up the deet hierarchy from about 20% to 90%, the less exposure to deet the better so it all depends on conditions and how other strategies are working.

Your diet can also matter ... some foods (garlic, vit. B) work for some people and some may reinforce your attraction (banannas, which don't make any difference to me). Your experience may vary so see what works.

No need to change plans during bug season in my experience and opinion.

I read somewhere Sunday on Facebook or some other forum about a product called White Mountain Bug Repellent. Was a link to their website. All natural, kid safe, etc. Sounded like more of a lotion than a spray with various herbs and whatnot known for having bug repellent properties. Fairly pricey stuff too, I think $15 for a 4oz squirt bottle. Had never heard of it but several people swore by the concoction and it was made in/for NH/New England critters. Anybody ever try this product? Hype or does it work?

I've tried it and it works well. It's made in Merrimack, NH. It's sold on "Amazon" and "Tractor Supply". I've also seen it at some local nurseries and tackle stores around here in southern NH. It's not nearly that expensive. I have a bottle in bass boat now.

I personally find head nets too hot and hard to breath through. Only in dire circumstances have I worn them, and always debated if giving up a pint of blood was worth the trade off.

I personally find head nets too hot and hard to breath through. Only in dire circumstances have I worn them, and always debated if giving up a pint of blood was worth the trade off.

I had no problem at all breathing through my head net. And I have asthma! If you wear a hat with a visor, it will keep the net away from your face. Some of the time, I forgot that I was wearing it!

I've tried it and it works well. It's made in Merrimack, NH. It's sold on "Amazon" and "Tractor Supply". I've also seen it at some local nurseries and tackle stores around here in southern NH. It's not nearly that expensive. I have a bottle in bass boat now.

Cool. I went to their website to get that pricing. Maybe I misread. I'll look on Amazon. Thanks.

Outdoor Research makes a model that has a piece of spring steel in it that makes a circle and keeps the net well off your face. Combined with a wide brimmed hat it is fine that way. I have always hated that sense of restricted vision that the net gives, especially when you're wearing a pack and the wide brimmed hat rubs against the pack and pushes the hat. It is almost as annoying as just getting bit. I don't normally wear the net unless the bugs are really insane.

It comes down to if you are willing to avoid the New England woods for a month between mid May and mid June or stick to very urban areas where the black fly hatch is limited, then head nets or bug suits are not needed. This season is extended until mid to late july for mosquitoes around dusk. For those who claim the bugs don't bother them, I contend that odds are they just have altered their behavior to avoid the bugs. I have in the past switched to paddling during bug season. Talk to anyone who works in the woods and they either use DEET or use head nets/big suits or just plain stay out of the woods until bug season is over. As for new all natural bug repellents, realize that even natural bug repellents can contain toxic substances, they may be derived from plants but they can still be toxic yet require no real safety testing to sell to the public. Urushiol is a natural product derived from local plants and perfectly legal to use as an ingredient, but I sure wouldn't go rubbing the active chemical in Poison Ivy on myself. Year after year 25% Deet applied properly in a proper dose, which is far less than a typical user uses, is ranked consistently the best most effective product to prevent bug bites. Picardin also gets good reviews but is generally more expensive and less available and has not been subject to long term testing as much as DEET has. Deet has been tested numerous times for health effects and every time it comes out with no issues. No matter what is claimed, DEET or picardin does not substantially impact the swarming behavior of Black flies, they will still swarm and may land on occasion they just will not bite treated areas. In that case a head net or bug suit is superior. I personally use 3M Ultrathon as it last longer and tends not to absorb into the skin but my backup is regular DEET.

It's not nearly that expensive. .

The $15 bottle on the website is 4 oz. The $3.99 bottle you reference is only 1.25 oz. So it is still cheaper per ounce at Tractor Supply but it is pricey in my book. Do you have to lather it on to work or is a small amount sufficient?

The $15 bottle on the website is 4 oz. The $3.99 bottle you reference is only 1.25 oz. So it is still cheaper per ounce at Tractor Supply but it is pricey in my book. Do you have to lather it on to work or is a small amount sufficient?
I use it the same way that I would use "Bens". A 1.25 oz. bottle would last quite a while, I think. I only use it on exposed areas.

Last edited:
I use it the same way that I would use "Bens". A 1.25 oz. bottle would last quite a while, I think. I only use it on exposed areas.

Thanks. It shows as being in stock at the Tractor Supply near my house so I think I'll give it a try.

IMHO, its not an objectionable odor, its just distinct. Goes along good with woodsmoke and "old school" camping. In the early seventies when I first went to Baxter it was pretty much the standard bug dope .