She's not friendly

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, I must just be lucky, some of these stories are terrible. I try to be a good dog owner on the trail. My Aussie is very friendly and loves everybody, he also has great recall. That being said, I have never felt good having him off leash. My compromise is a 26 ft. retractable, that I clip to my pack, so I don't have to hold it. Thus allows my dog freedom, yet when I see other dogs or groups of people I can reel him in and keep him right next to me. I can tell when I see someone who doesn't want to be close to my dog. In all my hiking, it seems strange to hear someone say, they will avoid the 4k's because of dogs, I just don't see the problem, (no that I doubt your accounts). I'm also really lucky, my dog will never roll in poop.:p

I've only had one bad experience with a dog, but it wasn't that bad. Descending Mt Meader and a big german shepard came up the ledges and saw me and started barking and growling. I figured the dog was as much scared by the chance encounter as I. The owners quickly leashed him and explained that the dog had a bad experience with a hiker with sticks and now doesn't like other hikers with sticks. I made sure I kept my hiking poles between me and the dog.

Most times, dogs are pretty cool to see. Unless I'm trying to eat.

Brian- I am very sorry to hear about the situation with the mastiff and your loved one. I can imagine how damaging physically and mentally that can be for all involved.

A few more general comments: To be clear, yes, most of the dogs on trail (and dog owners) are responsible and under control and positive encounters. Most are fine and I am not trying to bash dogs or dog owners in general. But I have had dozens of negative encounters. I don't know if is because I am usually hiking alone, with poles, and a beard. Maybe those who hike in large groups or with dogs (who take away the attention of the aggressive dogs from people) gives others a different experience. Since being bitten on trail, I too have been surprised how many people I know have been bitten generally (not necessarily on trail) when I talk to them about my experience. The problem encounters most often seem to be with folks who are new to hiking with their dog or their dog is new to them period.

Dog bites in general are very, very common. According the CDC there are 4.5 million dog bites per year in the United States. Per Year! There are 320 million people living in the United states so that is about 1.5 % of the population. 1 in 5 of them becomes infected. 30 or so each year are fatal. These are facts. The CDC article linked above points out that children between 5 - 9 years old are most likely to bitten, and men are more likely than women to be bit. The backcountry context of a serious bite on trail makes it a more dangerous situation that normal when medical help is not available in a prompt manner. Dogs do not behave or think in the anthropomorphized ways some people envision them in their heads.

Sierra- I should clarify my statement about "avoiding the 4ks this summer." More accurately stated, dogs are one of the reasons I will be avoiding 4ks this year. There are other reasons, such as I can usually only hike on Saturday and the 4k's have become excessively crowded then to the point of taking on an amusement park atmosphere. I have already hiked them several hundred times and there are more quiet places that provide a better backcountry experience in New England. I have not given up 4ks altogether and had good luck this past winter/early spring hiking 4ks on Monday mornings-- for example I only encountered 4 parties hiking Lafayette in early march, and 1 party after the early April snow on Moosilauke. But given my other life responsibilities, I don't want waste a rare chance to recharge alone by having a dog charge me while the owner is nowhere to be found. Dogs charging me now are a mental trigger so I would say its probably 40% of my decision. After my bite, and my daughter’s 3 (off trail bites), I'd rather not deal with it, and see popular “facebook” areas as a magnet for the inexperienced dog owners. So that is the rationale for my decision making.

Last edited:
Brian- I am very sorry to hear about the situation with the mastiff and your loved one. I can imagine how damaging physically and mentally that can be for all involved.

A few more general comments: To be clear, yes, most of the dogs on trail (and dog owners) are responsible and under control and positive encounters. Most are fine and I am not trying to bash dogs or dog owners in general. But I have had dozens of negative encounters. I don't know if is because I am usually hiking alone, with poles, and a beard. Maybe those who hike in large groups or with dogs (who take away the attention of the aggressive dogs from people) gives others a different experience. Since being bitten on trail, I too have been surprised how many people I know have been bitten generally (not necessarily on trail) when I talk to them about my experience. The problem encounters most often seem to be with folks who are new to hiking with their dog or their dog is new to them period.

Dog bites in general are very, very common. According the CDC there are 4.5 million dog bites per year in the United States. Per Year! There are 320 million people living in the United states so that is about 1.5 % of the population. 1 in 5 of them becomes infected. 30 or so each year are fatal. These are facts. The CDC article linked above points out that children between 5 - 9 years old are most likely to bitten, and men are more likely than women to be bit. The backcountry context of a serious bite on trail makes it a more dangerous situation that normal when medical help is not available in a prompt manner. Dogs do not behave or think in the anthropomorphized ways some people envision them in their heads.

Sierra- I should clarify my statement about "avoiding the 4ks this summer." More accurately stated, dogs are one of the reasons I will be avoiding 4ks this year. There are other reasons, such as I can usually only hike on Saturday and the 4k's have become excessively crowded then to the point of taking on an amusement park atmosphere. I have already hiked them several hundred times and there are more quiet places that provide a better backcountry experience in New England. I have not given up 4ks altogether and had good luck this past winter/early spring hiking 4ks on Monday mornings-- for example I only encountered 4 parties hiking Lafayette in early march, and 1 party after the early April snow on Moosilauke. But given my other life responsibilities, I don't want waste a rare chance to recharge alone by having a dog charge me while the owner is nowhere to be found. Dogs charging me now are a mental trigger so I would say its probably 40% of my decision. After my bite, and my daughter’s 3 (off trail bites), I'd rather not deal with it, and see popular “facebook” areas as a magnet for the inexperienced dog owners. So that is the rationale for my decision making.

I see your point. As a responsible dog owner, I wish other's were more careful. Alas, in the new age of hiking, not all do as they should in many regards.

Coincidentally, it is "Dog Bite Prevention Week" (apparently). For tips see

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/dog-bite-prevention

18620223_10154699756116139_4690511881111782001_n.png

Tim

I had an interaction with a dog last spring where I was walking along a road in Waterville Valley looping back to the car with my dogs (both on leash). A dog came charging down a driveway, making my partner nervous. I gave the heel command to the other dog and it stopped dead in its tracks. My partner remarked that she hadn't considered trying that. It's worth a shot running through some simple commands given in a firm voice to give you and the dog a chance to avoid a potentially negative interaction. Heel, sit, wait, leave it, no, etc.