Do you still need snowshoes in the Whites?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
Has the eternal winter ended?, or if you get up around 3500'+ in elevation are you likely to still find post-hollable snow?? I'd like to do the Weeks range this weekend, but not sure if the massive snowpack is gone yet.

On Saturday, The Hancocks had stretches where you might post hole if warm enough. Mainly on the ascent of South and for short stretches between the summits. North and the descent were snow-free.

Tim

There are probably still north facing trails with dense cover that may require snowshoes. Desolation trail on Carrigan used to be rather infamous for holding onto snow. Castle Ravine in Randolph was another one. Of course ICE Gulch and Mahoosuc notch probably are the most famous examples of holding onto snow late in the spring.

Last week, they were not necessary from Appalachia to above tree line on Randolph Path, Spur, etc. Light traction was a help at 4,000 and above under the trees. Nothing above. Postholing was not an issue. Within hours after hiking out, lots of snow fell on the ridge. I imagine it is mostly gone but a more recent report would help. This was 5/13

On Saturday, May 20, I did the Tripyramid loop via Livermore Road. I took the Scaur ridge trail up to the ridge and to north peak and did the loop clock wise. I would say snow line was about 3500'+ or so on the north facing slopes, and > 4180' on south facing slopes (that is, no snow at all south of south peak). I would recommend Microspikes and gaiters. I had neither, wish I had them. Mainly for comfort and ease, I was able to get by without them. However I was going tree to tree negotiating some icy spots while climbing north peak, not good for the trail. Snow shoes would be way more burden then help. There appeared to have been a recent wind storm that caused significant blow down on the upper parts of Livermore road and the Scaur ridge trail. Many branches on the trails that will make folks want to side step the trail and widen it. These sections could use a trail crew with loppers and a saw. Trails otherwise in excellent shape.

See
http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/
for many other reviews about trail conditions.

Last edited:
At this point, mine are in the closet. If you understand topography in regards to snowpack, they are no longer needed.