drones

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful what you ask for. A drone just might save your arse someday. http://www.businessinsider.com/new-...ithout- :p:Drequesting-special-permission-12
While I have recently argued for drone use in SAR missions (see http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthre...er-in-the-Pemi&p=438815&viewfull=1#post438815 ) I think a situation where a drone hovers over a hiker answering nature call is totally different. While there may be no hard evidence available as to what the operator saw and what his/her intentions were, a malicious act cannot be ruled out and remote location of the operator does not make the situation any easier.

While I have recently argued for drone use in SAR missions (see http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthre...er-in-the-Pemi&p=438815&viewfull=1#post438815 ) I think a situation where a drone hovers over a hiker answering nature call is totally different. While there may be no hard evidence available as to what the operator saw and what his/her intentions were, a malicious act cannot be ruled out and remote location of the operator does not make the situation any easier.
Totally agree. Unfortunately drones have become like a lot of things in the world. Inappropriate use by select users have had a negative ripple effect on the entire community. Therefore even the appropriate users but not entirely have also been cast in a negative light.

Last edited:
I was hiking Mt. Olympus in Utah on Saturday and as I was approaching the summit this drone popped up and began hovering over me and few other hikers. It felt like a swarm of bees ready to strike, and I must say it was annoying to put it nicely. I did not complain but another hiker spoke out loud. As it turned out this girl at the top was playing with her toy. Now I wonder if I will make it to Youtube... Maybe I can ask for some royalties and quit my day job???
DSC02247.jpg

Drones could be much use to bushwhackers. Recently we were debating whether to turn around or continue the 800' to get to this off trail view ledge when my companion jokingly suggested we dispatch a drone to scout ahead for terrain conditions. Drones could revolutionize peak bagging. Peakbaggers working on obscure lists could save much time hunting for summit canisters if they could send a drone to scout for it.

Like any gear drones will have their limitations, but could be useful in SAR.

Last edited:
Drones could be much use to bushwhackers. Recently we were debating whether to turn around or continue the 800' to get to this off trail view ledge when my companion jokingly suggested we dispatch a drone to scout ahead for terrain conditions. Drones could revolutionize peak bagging. Peakbaggers working on obscure lists could save much time hunting for summit canisters if they could send a drone to scout for it.

Like any gear drones will have their limitations, but could be useful in SAR.

Silly me ... and I thought bushwhacking, peakbagging and redlining were ways to get away from the rat race, technology and all. But I do they they could be of tremendous assistance in SAR.