Mt Washington and Mt Clay ... May 28th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
Up Ammo to Mt Washington. Still some stretches of snow on the trail just below treeline. Trails and summit much less crowded than I expected. Going down Gulfside toward Jewell, a guy hiking up with skis on his pack told me Airplane Gully was still in. I had already planned to take a side trip to Mt Clay (my second favorite spot in the Whites), but now I would also try to spot the skiers from there. From Clay I dug deep into the vast reservoir of my navigational skills, and bushwacked from Clay summit area to the Gulfside/Jewell junction. Went down Jewell. Regarding photos...sunny skies, high sun, and harsh shadows...therefore I decided to try to see things in black and white.

Lakes of the Clouds, north lake

IMG_0807e-L.jpg

IMG_0810e-L.jpg

Crawford Path

IMG_0808e-L.jpg

IMG_0812e-L.jpg

IMG_0818e-L.jpg

Summit

IMG_0821e-L.jpg

IMG_0823s-L.jpg

Airplane Gully, seen from Mt Clay

IMG_0834e-L.jpg

Great Gulf Trail headwall and Airplane Gully

IMG_0839e-L.jpg

Jewell Trail, fir wave???

IMG_0840e-L.jpg

Along Jewell Trail

IMG_0845e-L.jpg

short video of Airplane Gully

[video]https://photos.smugmug.com/Hiking-Backpacking-and-1/2017/Mt-Washington-and-Mt-Clay-May-28-2017/i-KWzj7nz/0/cafad31a/1920/MVI_0835-1920.mp4[/video]

Great pictures and love that there in B&W. Gives them a vintage look! Thanks for posting - Dave

Those blow downs on Jewell are part of a pretty big set you can see in satellite views. I've only done that trail once (in winter a couple seasons ago), so I'm curious if those all happened at once.