Garmin 60CSX no longer recognized by Windows 10 computer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Staff member
Reaction score
Rehabbing from ankle surgery, I haven't had the chance to take the GPS out for a walk in quite a while. Returning home yesterday I attempted to download a track and the computer wouldn't recognize the device. Garmin customer service had no answer other than switching to Base Camp to download to Garmin's map and format.
I've been fortunate that when we upgraded from Win7 to Win10 eighteen months ago, our I.T. person was able to configure the computer to allow me to use Nat'l Geo maps which are a USGS duplicate.

A friend pointed me to a link that said the 2016 Windows anniversary update made some Garmin devices no longer recognizable as Garmin devices formatted with FAT12,16 or 32 file systems are no longer recognized as mass storage devices. Garmin Express software v4.1.25 may solve the problem but Garmin Express has more up to date versions that seemingly aren't supporting the 60CSX.
Has anyone found a work around? Doug Paul, do you have any suggestions? Thanks to Doug Paul, he found me a second 60CSX that I use as a back up so I'm reluctant to ditch the units for a new one.

Thanks

Rehabbing from ankle surgery, I haven't had the chance to take the GPS out for a walk in quite a while. Returning home yesterday I attempted to download a track and the computer wouldn't recognize the device. Garmin customer service had no answer other than switching to Base Camp to download to Garmin's map and format.
I've been fortunate that when we upgraded from Win7 to Win10 eighteen months ago, our I.T. person was able to configure the computer to allow me to use Nat'l Geo maps which are a USGS duplicate.

A friend pointed me to a link that said the 2016 Windows anniversary update made some Garmin devices no longer recognizable as Garmin devices formatted with FAT12,16 or 32 file systems are no longer recognized as mass storage devices. Garmin Express software v4.1.25 may solve the problem but Garmin Express has more up to date versions that seemingly aren't supporting the 60CSX.
Has anyone found a work around? Doug Paul, do you have any suggestions? Thanks to Doug Paul, he found me a second 60CSX that I use as a back up so I'm reluctant to ditch the units for a new one.

Thanks

I had a similar problem awhile back with my GPSMap62 and it wound up being an issue with Windows trying to assign a drive letter to the installed memory card that was being used by another USB device installed on my computer. It took me awhile researching and asking questions to figure out. I popped the card out of my GPS and it recognizes fine. I'm not much of a computer guy but if I remember right you can just right click on the card for the GPS and assign a different letter to it and solve the problem that way too. Not sure if this is your problem or not but it is something to check.

Thank you. You popped the card out and then reinserted it? While GPS was attached to computer.

I never put the card back. I supposed it would be interesting to see what would happen if you did that. Maybe adding the card after your GPS was recognized by Windows would make it use an unassigned letter for the card and it would work. Never tried. I screwed around with mine for months so when I got it working again I didn't want to mess it up.

We have a great I.T. guy who sets up and customizes our computers. I just got off the phone with him. He has another client who had the identical issue. My guy tried everything and could not locate a way to get it to work. He said the only thing we could try would be to roll back the last Windows update to see if it worked. This would buy a little time for me to decide what to do. Rolled it back and the GPS is still only recognized, but not working. Unless I come up with another alternative, looks like I'll be looking for a new GPS.

So is that why there are so many 60csx units popping up in ebay now? I picked up a couple of them fairly cheap, as my original pair are getting well used. Garmin WebUpdater still works on the Mac for the 60csx. The Mac version of Basecamp works good too. I much prefer the 60 model over the 62 or 64 because of the much easier to clip-on/off handlebar/canoe thwart mount.

Last edited:
My original 60CSX is still going strong other than the buttons being worn white and the antenna brace broken. The back up has only been used on a handful of trips and looks like new with stiff buttons. I really dislike the Basecamp maps. When we got a new PC, moving from Win7 to Win10, Win10 no longer supported Nat'l Geo maps. My I.T. guy copied all the NG mapping data to the new HD so I'm able to run Nat'l Geo maps on Win 10. I wish Basecamp maps were as nice to use as the Nat'l Geo. Looks like some PC or Win10 users will be disappointed when then get their Ebay 60's.

I just got off the phone with a 3rd Garmin tech to double check that a 64 is compatible. She also had a 60CSX that no longer works because of Windows updates and drivers. Your 76 could have some different internals so you might get ready. This is a painful switch I'll be losing both 60's, including the next to new one.

I just got off the phone with a 3rd Garmin tech to double check that a 64 is compatible. She also had a 60CSX that no longer works because of Windows updates and drivers. Your 76 could have some different internals so you might get ready. This is a painful switch I'll be losing both 60's, including the next to new one.

I haven't done a Garmin update in awhile. I think I'll keep it that way. I have Windows 10 but hadn't had any problems since the memory card issue.

On the maps, I don't like Basecamp or the Topo24k I got bundled with the unit. Never use. I do all my mapwork on CalTopo.com. Most days my GPS is just a time and distance tracker and I upload the GPX file to CalTopo to look at my hikes.

I have the 100k countrywide CD and the Eastern US 24k, so I can load maps to the replacement. I use the tracks overlaid on Nat'l Geo topo maps for hiking articles I write, for my guidebook, and for two other guidebooks I'm working on. Probably going with one of the 64s, either the SC or ST. Wish there was an alternative that worked for me.

Or stay with Windows 7, which works great.

Microsoft is well known for the "every other windows edition sucks" syndrome: 3.1=good, 2000=sucks, XP=good, Vista=sucks, 7=good, 10=sucks. And so it goes.

We kept our Win7 desktop for a 'just in case'. Our Win7 computer would lock up and crash so often it got difficult to use. OTOH, it was 6 years old and really, really, tired. Other than the PITA updates, Win10 has been great, never crashed.
Microsoft will no longer be supporting Windows 7 in two years.

Some thoughts and suggestions:
* I don't use MS "operating systems" (for a number of reasons) so I can only guess about what is happening with Win10.
* The 60CSx and 62series use different interfaces--the 60CSx uses a custom protocol (over USB) and the 62CSx mounts its internal and external flash memories as USB disks. MapSource talks to the 60CSx using the custom protocol, so try MapSource. BaseCamp uses the USB disk interface which appears to be failing in Win10--perhaps the FAT disk drivers have been removed.
* I run Linux and usually download tracks from my 60CSx and 62s to a GPX file with GPSBabel. I then import the GPX file into MapSource or BaseCamp. (You might try running GPSBabel under Win10.) MapSource and BaseCamp run in Linux under Wine (windows emulator). You might consider running a Linux machine for the purpose or running Linux in a virtual machine (eg VirtualBox) under Win10. (Linux is very good at retaining backwards compatibility.) I don't recall if BaseCamp (in Wine under Linux) can also access the 60CSx directly.
* You could try running an older version of Win in a virtual machine (eg VirtualBox) under Win10.

FWIW, IMO the 60CSx is better than the 62s. I read a bunch of disappointed reviews of the 64s and haven't tried it. (Even on sale...)

Doug

Or stay with Windows 7, which works great.

Microsoft is well known for the "every other windows edition sucks" syndrome: 3.1=good, 2000=sucks, XP=good, Vista=sucks, 7=good, 10=sucks. And so it goes.

You missed 8 which really sucked, even Microsoft said so by giving away Windows 10 free to people with Windows 8. I think 10 works well, but it's a huge headache to maintain compatibility with every piece of hardware ever made. And, IM(ns)HO, Garmin software leaves much to be desired.

Tim

You missed 8 which really sucked, even Microsoft said so by giving away Windows 10 free to people with Windows 8. I think 10 works well, but it's a huge headache to maintain compatibility with every piece of hardware ever made. And, IM(ns)HO, Garmin software leaves much to be desired.

Tim

Can't help it: https://xkcd.com/528/

Can Win 7 be run on a Win 10 computer? Virtual Box?
Haven't tried it myself, but it should be possible.
www.virtualbox.org

Once you get a working guest machine image, you should be able to upgrade VirtualBox (to maintain compatibility with the host OS) and still run the old guest image. You can also clone a guest image before installing or upgrading a program. If it doesn't work or otherwise damages the new guest, you can simply delete the damaged guest, keeping the original guest image safe. (The ultimate uninstall...) You can block a guest from accessing the internet to keep it safe. (Some people do the reverse by running dangerous programs such as web browsers inside a virtual machine to protect the host in case the virtual machine is successfully attacked.)

FWIW, I have run WinXP and Win7 guests under a Linux host using VirtualBox and, IIRC, have run MapSource in one or both of the guests. (I normally run MapSource inside Wine.)

FWIW2, virtual machines (or emulators) are much more convenient than multi-OS machines because you can leave the host running all the time rather than shutting the current OS down and booting up the new OS.

Doug

Last edited: