Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garmin 60CSX no longer recognized by Windows 10 computer

Some thoughts and suggestions:
    * I don't use MS "operating systems" (for a number of reasons) so I can only guess about what is happening with Win10.
    * The 60CSx and 62series use different interfaces--the 60CSx uses a custom protocol (over USB) and the 62CSx mounts its internal and external flash memories as USB disks. MapSource talks to the 60CSx using the custom protocol, so try MapSource. BaseCamp uses the USB disk interface which appears to be failing in Win10--perhaps the FAT disk drivers have been removed.
    * I run Linux and usually download tracks from my 60CSx and 62s to a GPX file with GPSBabel. I then import the GPX file into MapSource or BaseCamp. (You might try running GPSBabel under Win10.) MapSource and BaseCamp run in Linux under Wine (windows emulator). You might consider running a Linux machine for the purpose or running Linux in a virtual machine (eg VirtualBox) under Win10. (Linux is very good at retaining backwards compatibility.) I don't recall if BaseCamp (in Wine under Linux) can also access the 60CSx directly.
    * You could try running an older version of Win in a virtual machine (eg VirtualBox) under Win10.

FWIW, IMO the 60CSx is better than the 62s. I read a bunch of disappointed reviews of the 64s and haven't tried it. (Even on sale...)

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by TCD View Post
    Or stay with Windows 7, which works great.

Microsoft is well known for the "every other windows edition sucks" syndrome: 3.1=good, 2000=sucks, XP=good, Vista=sucks, 7=good, 10=sucks. And so it goes.
    You missed 8 which really sucked, even Microsoft said so by giving away Windows 10 free to people with Windows 8. I think 10 works well, but it's a huge headache to maintain compatibility with every piece of hardware ever made. And, IM(ns)HO, Garmin software leaves much to be desired.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    You missed 8 which really sucked, even Microsoft said so by giving away Windows 10 free to people with Windows 8. I think 10 works well, but it's a huge headache to maintain compatibility with every piece of hardware ever made. And, IM(ns)HO, Garmin software leaves much to be desired.

Tim
    Can't help it: https://xkcd.com/528/
    | 62.2% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail (Pemi District)

Can Win 7 be run on a Win 10 computer? Virtual Box?
    "The fact that going off the deep end appears
    to be a requisite to doing anything of consequence
    in this life has not escaped me." Jim Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Peakbagr View Post
    Can Win 7 be run on a Win 10 computer? Virtual Box?
    Haven't tried it myself, but it should be possible.
    www.virtualbox.org

Once you get a working guest machine image, you should be able to upgrade VirtualBox (to maintain compatibility with the host OS) and still run the old guest image. You can also clone a guest image before installing or upgrading a program. If it doesn't work or otherwise damages the new guest, you can simply delete the damaged guest, keeping the original guest image safe. (The ultimate uninstall...) You can block a guest from accessing the internet to keep it safe. (Some people do the reverse by running dangerous programs such as web browsers inside a virtual machine to protect the host in case the virtual machine is successfully attacked.)

FWIW, I have run WinXP and Win7 guests under a Linux host using VirtualBox and, IIRC, have run MapSource in one or both of the guests. (I normally run MapSource inside Wine.)

FWIW2, virtual machines (or emulators) are much more convenient than multi-OS machines because you can leave the host running all the time rather than shutting the current OS down and booting up the new OS.

Doug
    Last edited by DougPaul; 06-02-2017 at 11:55 PM.

Did the techie say that if you downloaded BaseCamp you would be okay? If this is true, this might be an easy fix. BaseCamp is free. Once it is loaded, plug in your unit and hit the download button.... then your gpx file(s) is on your computer. The file can then be uploaded to CalTopo or any other program you tend to use. (I used to use a 60csx. I'm now using a 62s with BaseCamp as the interface... on a Mac. My husband is using BaseCamp on Windows 10.) I'd be glad to walk you through it if you go this route.
    Celle qui marche dans la forÍt.

Just another anecdotal brick in the wall: I've been using Basecamp on Windows 10 since day 1, with a Rino 530 HCx (same vintage as the 60 CSx), with no problems. The problem isn't the baby, just the bath water.

Like other have said, it may be due to a faulty USB driver (i.e. a recent update crippled functionality; rollback the driver to its previous version).

One other thing: don't forget to check your USB cable and port.

Some of the Garmin USB cables include some "magic" (a resister between two of the pins) to make the GPS come up in a mode different from the mode that will result from a generic USB cable. (IIRC, generic cables result in "external disk mode" and the "magic" cables result in "external power mode".) So testing by substituting a different type of cable may not be adequate. (IE, test by substituting the same model Garmin cable, or connecting to a different computer.)

USB ports can fail too, so also try a different USB port.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Peakbagr View Post
    Rehabbing from ankle surgery, I haven't had the chance to take the GPS out for a walk in quite a while. Returning home yesterday I attempted to download a track and the computer wouldn't recognize the device. Garmin customer service had no answer other than switching to Base Camp to download to Garmin's map and format.
    I've been fortunate that when we upgraded from Win7 to Win10 eighteen months ago, our I.T. person was able to configure the computer to allow me to use Nat'l Geo maps which are a USGS duplicate.

A friend pointed me to a link that said the 2016 Windows anniversary update made some Garmin devices no longer recognizable as Garmin devices formatted with FAT12,16 or 32 file systems are no longer recognized as mass storage devices. Garmin Express software v4.1.25 may solve the problem but Garmin Express has more up to date versions that seemingly aren't supporting the 60CSX.
    Has anyone found a work around? Doug Paul, do you have any suggestions? Thanks to Doug Paul, he found me a second 60CSX that I use as a back up so I'm reluctant to ditch the units for a new one.

Thanks
    You might want to think about the Oregon 700 series.. so much nicer then the 60csx..much better tracking in all conditions as well as more accurate data.. My wife uses one and I trained her on it being her first gps.. I now use a 680 Montana which I love..I owned Garmin handhelds since 1998 and owned the 60csx as well.. these later ones I mentioned are the best out of all of them. I'm waiting and hoping a Montana comes out like the Oregon 700..
    On Win 7 I have no issues and love it.. I've transferred the whole current image over 5 different E6530 notebooks from Dell. I clean it out alot with aftermarket programs.. to keep the crap from corrupting the system. I have used many Garmin's with it including many Nuvi's. including my newest Drivesmart 61lmt-s. At my age I may never go to Win10..tried it once ...for a while didn't like it.. I restored my win 7 image back..
    Last edited by CaptCaper; 06-06-2017 at 07:17 AM.

If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessmuk View Post
    Get a Mac
    And use BaseCamp. And install QGIS: http://www.qgis.org/en/site/

All the cool kids have been doing this for some time now.
    sardog1

"Ň! kjśre Bymann gakk ei stjur og stiv,
    men kom her up og kjenn eit annat Liv!
    kom hit, kom hit, og ver ei daud og lat!
    kom kjenn, hot d'er, som heiter Svevn og Mat,
    og Drykk og TÝrste og det heile, som
    er Liv og Helse i ein Hovedsum."

-- Aasmund O. Vinje, "Til Fjells!"

Based on this thread, I was apprehensive about 60CSX compatibility with Windows-10, but I've just built a new Windows-10 system (Creators Edition, 64 bit) and have had no trouble at all with MapSource or communications with the GPS. The direct GPS Import/Export works fine, as does the mass storage mode.

I installed MapSource from an old Garmin Topo CD and then updated to v.6.16.3 using the Garmin download. I'm using Garmin USB driver v.2.3.0 installed from USBDrivers_230.exe download. There's also a newer v.2.3.1.1 driver available, but the setup package is twice the size with additional .NET requirements, so I used the earlier version. Again, no problems so far.

Thanks to Joe B, he showed me how to still use the 60CSX with Win 10. Using the 'handheld' menu item, I can still use the National Geo software as in the Win 7 days.

I have ordered a new W10 computer and soon will be getting a taste of my own medicine, hoping I can get Mapsource and TOPO! running again. What Alan is saying is that the gpx file saved in the computer can be opened under the ‘handhelds’ menu in TOPO!. I still prefer Mapsource as a simple file manager over Basecamp.

Joe, my IT guys were able to get TOPO To run on my Win10 computer so with both the 60 and 64 units, I get around the problem by downloading tracks from handheld menu to TOPO and save as .tpo files as we did on Win7 on Natl Geo maps.

If you encounter a problem with the operation of any legacy program running on Windows 10, you can specify to have it run in "Compatibility Mode" (i.e. have Windows 10 appear to the quirky program as, say, Windows 7). You can also run the Compatibility Troubleshooter and have Windows suggest the best operating mode to support the program.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win 10 compatibility mode.PNG 
Views:	9 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	5933