Bike Week - Annual Reminder

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Bike Week is once again upon us in NH starting tomorrow and running to Fathers day weekend. With cheap gas and a unusually rare good long range forecast I expect there will be plenty of participants. In past years there has been an attempt by the state and organizers to shift activities statewide and that includes up in the whites but generally ground zero is the lakes region, RT 16 and RT 25 being particular routes to avoid. The Kanc usually ends up a very frustrating experience for those in a rush. Not many options for escaping the noise, usually there is less travel north or RT2 and its probably a nice time to visit the center of the Pemi, perhaps a 13 falls or Thoreau falls hike is order. I recommend early starts to avoid the crowds on the roads. The moose have been active of late, although there may be less than in the past they still will draw traffic and potentially accidents so early birds and late evening drivers need to be on the lookout.

I personally will be heading up to Pittsburg in hopes of avoiding the crowds.

One new thing to factor in on a trip to NH is that the tourism business is very seriously understaffed. The normal foreign guest workers that mostly work behind the scenes are not available to supplement the limited local employment base due to government issues. Pretty much anyone legal and able to breathe who wants a job has their pick of numerous seasonal positions. Expect long lines and potentially inexperienced staff everywhere with some hope that the government may let in guest workers later in the season. Lot to be said for a cooler in the trunk at the trailhead versus an after hike meal at a restaurant.

I chose 4 over 140 to get home today, trying to avoid Laconia area, and NHDOT shut it down to one lane. I was about three cars back from the front when they switched to single-lane operations and was stopped dead for thirty minutes.

But 93 down to Mass looked pretty good. They know what side their bread is buttered on, I guess.

Rte 93 was fine yesterday from 1PM-3PM or thereabouts. Was a bit heavy with the usual slow pokes, motor homes and trucks towing motorized toys but no traffic jams, even at the tolls and the 93/89 split. Was thankful. I usually hike SAT when I can to avoid the weekend crush.