Mt. Moosilauke

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hermit

Reaction score
Home-West Shokan N.Y.Avatar 35x12 Catskill grid pa
This will be my first time to the White Mountains in 44 years. I only have been up Mt. Washington by car on my way back From climbing Mt.Katahdin
in Maine in 1973. I am leaving the Catskills early in the morning Thursday and hope to climb Mt. Moosilauke from rt.112 via the Beaver Brook trail solo. I will be in the White Mountains for 4 more days of hiking and hope to get more familiar with the region. Is there anything I should be concerned with -high water crossings -snow or ice up high etc.. Thank you in advance for any info.. Ralph

Last edited:
The snow and ice is gone. In regards to the Beaver Brook trail, it is a beautiful trail. There is one crossing down low, but at this point it will be no issue. The BBT is the toughest trail on the mountain, it features fairly steep ledges, with wooden steps and metal hand rungs to aid in climbing. These ledges may be wet with runoff as well. The tough section is about a mile long then once you gain the ridge it's pretty easy from there on up. I love the trail and many have no issues with it, just be prepared for steep climbing. If that's not to your liking, the routes via the DOT lodge are much easier, ie..Gorge Brook trail. Hope that helps. P.S. It used to be a fee lot, so make sure you buy a day pass or you may get a ticket.

This will be my first time to the White Mountains in 44 years. I only have been up Mt. Washington by car on my way back From climbing Mt.Katahdin
in Maine in 1973. I am leaving the Catskills early in the morning Thursday and hope to climb Mt. Moosilauke from rt.112 via the Beaver Brook trail solo. I will be in the White Mountains for 3 more days of hiking and hope to get more familiar with the region. Is there anything I should be concerned with -high water crossings -snow or ice up high etc.. Thank you in advance for any info.. Ralph

I can see from your Avatar you are Catskill grid person so I won't trouble you with questions of fitness. Do you have a date in mind? It pays to be mindful of certain weekends. This coming weekend for example is last weekend of Laconia Bike Week. Traffic on I93 can become snarled when large groups of motorcyclists decide to pull over. Motor cycle noise is ever-present. Coming from Catskills I suppose you're coming up I91 and branching off Rt 112 perhaps that has something to do with your choice of Beaver Brook Trail. On another weekend in July is NASCAR race weekend - shouldn't impact Whites much except if you plan to ravel on I-93.

Sierra mentions the TH parking lot requires payment of WMNF use fee. TH kiosk will have envelope to fill out with your plate number etc. Bring some cash to put in envelope. I don't know how much it costs because I used to pruchase a sticker but now qualify for federal Golden Age Pass. If it's been 44 years since your last visit you probably qualify and already have one of these. Just post on your vehicle dashboard and you are good to go. Some TH's are in State Park such as Franconia Notch and Crawford Notch SP. WMNF fees don't apply for these TH parking lots. Some lesser known TH's are on private land and use fees don;t apply. It must be complicated for the new and occasional visitor.

Hermit, you might consider camping in Franconia Notch at Lafayette Place. It's a state park and not a bad place at all. From there you have access to Franconia Ridge, which offers 4 4K's. Also you have the Kinsman's good for 2 peaks, Cannon Mt as well, which you can combine with Lonesome lake for a great loop. Theoretically, you could do most of these, without using your vehicle, right from your campsite.

That is a great idea for next time sierra ! We have a condo in North Conway for 5 nights. But I will try that next time. 44 years is too long to wait to come up again from the Catskills. I hiked the Adirondack 46 and finished in 2001. The 5 Vermont 4000 footers are done, now it is time for the White Mountains. lord knows I have hiked the Catskills many times. Thank you so much for that info..Folks from VFTT always come through ! When you live 300 miles away it will take me sometime to get the lay of the land.I may have to put the vftt sticker on my car !

in Maine in 1973. I am leaving the Catskills early in the morning Thursday and hope to climb Mt. Moosilauke from rt.112 via the Beaver Brook trail solo. I will be in the White Mountains for 4 more days of hiking and hope to get more familiar with the region. Is there anything I should be concerned with -high water crossings -snow or ice up high etc.. Thank you in advance for any info.. Ralph

It may be worth checking out the 'TrailNH.com' website. It aggregates trip reports from a bunch of sites (including VFTT), and should give you an idea of what to expect for any hikes you're considering.

As for the Moose, if you're not 100% set on Beaver Brook, I might recommend the Gorge Brook/Carriage Rd/Snapper loop, as it gives a bit more variety. If you're looking for some solitude and a beautiful gentle trail, the Benton Trail via Tunnel Book Rd. (from 112) is a great option. The roadwalk adds 3-4 miles round trip, but the trail itself is the most gradual with little erosion. The steam crossing at the base could mean wet feet in high water though. Have a great trip!

It may be worth checking out the 'TrailNH.com' website. It aggregates trip reports from a bunch of sites (including VFTT), and should give you an idea of what to expect for any hikes you're considering.

As for the Moose, if you're not 100% set on Beaver Brook, I might recommend the Gorge Brook/Carriage Rd/Snapper loop, as it gives a bit more variety. If you're looking for some solitude and a beautiful gentle trail, the Benton Trail via Tunnel Book Rd. (from 112) is a great option. The roadwalk adds 3-4 miles round trip, but the trail itself is the most gradual with little erosion. The steam crossing at the base could mean wet feet in high water though. Have a great trip!

I find that TrailNH.com to be awful. Hard to use, horrible layout. I never go there. Netrailconditions.com to me, is way better.

I find that TrailNH.com to be awful. Hard to use, horrible layout. I never go there. Netrailconditions.com to me, is way better.

+1. I find TrailsNH annoying as well and it seems like 90% of the reports on it are from NETC anyway. Appreciate what they're attempting to do but it just doesn't work for me.

Perhaps we use it differently. I use the map and zoom in on the area I'm planning to hike, then go through any trip reports. A lot are NETC, but very few of the NETC ones have photos, which I like. I get what NETC is trying to do, but a ton of those reports are 'look what I did', and don't offer any substance on 'Trail Conditions'. Reminds me of this: https://xkcd.com/773/ :)

I also find that giving out the TrailsNH link will lead people to all the other sources. It's like trickle-down, except it works. :cool:

By the way, if you haven't done Kearsage North in North Conway its worth the trip. It has restored fire tower on top with 360 views. It sits back a bit from the whites so it has great views of summits in NH plus some nice views over into Maine. On a clear day Saddleback and Abraham can be seen way off in the distance. It not a 4K which dooms it to be skipped by those intent on 4 Ks.

Perhaps we use it differently. I use the map and zoom in on the area I'm planning to hike, then go through any trip reports. A lot are NETC, but very few of the NETC ones have photos, which I like. I get what NETC is trying to do, but a ton of those reports are 'look what I did', and don't offer any substance on 'Trail Conditions'. Reminds me of this: https://xkcd.com/773/ :)

I also find that giving out the TrailsNH link will lead people to all the other sources. It's like trickle-down, except it works. :cool:

The only use I have for trips reports, is to see what's broken out in the winter. Frankly, I have no use for them other then that.

The only use I have for trips reports, is to see what's broken out in the winter. Frankly, I have no use for them other then that.

That's fair, but someone not as experienced as you may find it more useful. :)

We had a great trip in the White Mountains,I got back 6-20. I climbed Moosilauke Thursday-on Friday we climbed Waumbek ( rainy day but a great hike ) on Saturday 6-17 we climbed Wlley-Field-and Mt. Tom. On Sunday 6-18 we climbed Mt. Washington-Monroe-Eisenhower-and Pierce for a total of 9 4000 footers in 4 days of hiking. Thanks everyone for their help and I won't wait another 44 years to return.Pictures can be viewed on my facebook page-Ralph Ryndak Big thanks to Rob for his help also.

Last edited: