Dry River Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayBear

Reaction score
Has anyone hiked the Dry River trail recently? What are the options for camping now? The WMG says that two of the shelters are gone and the third is on its way out.

I was up in there this week. I accessed Dry River tr via Dry River Cut-Off so can only comment on the trail from Mt Eisenhower trail junction, North. I stayed a night at Dry River #3, which I thought was in great shape. You are right, Dry River shelters 1&2 are long gone. There are a number of designated campsites, so I understand. One of which I passed on the west bank of the Dry River on the Mt. Eisenhower trail, which I think is where shelter #2 used to stand. I'd read about another one up around 4100 ft but didnt see a sign. It could have been removed or it could of been buried in one of the blowdown patches.

As far as trail conditions go, expect mud and many blowdowns in the section I mentioned, especially if you venture north of the shelter up into Oakes Gulf. Seemingly a PITA blowdown around every turn in some sections. Plan time accordingly there, slow going with a full pack.

Last edited:
Has anyone hiked the Dry River trail recently? What are the options for camping now? The WMG says that two of the shelters are gone and the third is on its way out.

There are clearly marked designated sites. The one just north of the Isolation Trail is really nice up on the bluff. The one TDawg mentioned is great too, but requires crossing the river.

There is no longer a designated site at 4140' I found the spot but the sign is gone and the site is full of blowdown. Great trail but lots of things to work around especially up high. Worth it.

I was just in there for three days redlining trails... and made a map of all of the designated sites, as well as sites that have been used. I might have missed one... but I pretty much have them all. If you message me with your email address, I'll send you the map :)

There is no longer a designated site at 4140' I found the spot but the sign is gone and the site is full of blowdown
Heavy actual blowdowns or just brush? I've been there post-Irene and the site was OK.

Heavy actual blowdowns or just brush? I've been there post-Irene and the site was OK.

I'm under the impression that was a microburst in the area. The trail itself was also impacted and has been somewhat cleared from what I have heard. You can see it in satellite images.