Which Bald Mountain in Maine?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srhigham

Reaction score
Folks,

I'm trying to identify which Bald Mountain in Maine is shown in this video screen grab. There's probably a dozen of them in Maine. This one is evidently near some sizeable mountains as well as at least one lake. I know that it also has some rock-climbing potential, as well as at least some sizeable talus, although that might not be evident to trail-hikers.(I believe that it also has a hiking trail, which may not pass near the cliff base.)

Any ideas?

I'm not trying to present this as a puzzle or quiz, since I don't know the correct answer.

Thanks

Capture2.jpg

Be aware the that the dirt road approach from the north is was a little bit rough. I didn't do Speckled as my time was limited, but I really want to return. Here is a pic of Speckled from Bald.

speckled.jpg

Little Concord Pond State park. Shagg pond in the pic. There is an inactive tormaline mine at the base of the cliff. There is a herd path that goes to the base of the cliffs that climbers use. The top is not as bald as it was when I was a kid. Bald mountain is the first hike my grandfather took me on, the first one I took my kids on. There used to be a three story wooden hotel on Little Concord Pond, but vandals (I'm assuming) burned it down. There was a water pipe to the hotel that trickled water from a spring farther up the mountain, but I couldnt find it last time I was there.

There are 26 Bald mountains in ME. I've hiked 7 or 8 of them.

Bald mountain used to be bald. Its all grown up now. It was covered with blueberries. Speckled mountain is still covered with blueberries. My Uncle and I picked several quarts of blueberries off Speckled one Summer day and my Aunt called the Sheriff's department because we lost track of time picking and eating berries. Last time I hiked to Speckled, I wondered how my Unle and I climbed down with bowls of blueberries, because my gf and I needed two hands to climb up! I'm assuming the trail may have been re-routed in the intervening 40+ years.