Plateau, Sugarloaf, Twin Mountain – Catskills, NY 5-20-17

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkmatter

Reaction score
This weekend I decided to do the loop of Plateau, Sugarloaf, and Twin from the Roaring Kill trailhead. The humidity was out of control and everything was fairly wet and slippery. The bugs weren't much of a nuisance, only got one bug bite all day. All in all it was a good day out.
Total mileage 11.40miles, ~4200ft elevation, 6 hrs total

Full report and photos below!
https://operationalaska30.com/2017/...sugarloaf-twin-mountain-catskills-ny-5-20-17/

I liked reading your descriptions of your 'first impressions' of the Devil's Path. It's been a long time since I had my first impression, thanks. Too bad about the views, and I think you missed one, just before the summit of Sugarloaf, there is a spur trail to climbers right.

There is a cave/overhang below the thrones in the quarry as well. And after the quarry, there is the disappearing stream.

You'll just have to come back! :D

I liked reading your descriptions of your 'first impressions' of the Devil's Path. It's been a long time since I had my first impression, thanks. Too bad about the views, and I think you missed one, just before the summit of Sugarloaf, there is a spur trail to climbers right.

There is a cave/overhang below the thrones in the quarry as well. And after the quarry, there is the disappearing stream.

You'll just have to come back! :D

Yea I have hiked Indian Head by itself in the past a couple of times but I found this hike to be much more enjoyable. It felt more like hiking in the lower elevations of the Whites or Adirondacks. I also like that its much closer to home and would make a great training ground! The interesting history like the quarry also adds to the allure. I have always been a big history buff. When you say below the thrones do you mean down the hill on the open side or behind them? I also would like to know more about that disappearing stream, sounds pretty awesome!

The cave is down and to the right as you stand looking down the rock slope.

I followed the stream once and it dives underground. You can still hear it. Eventually it re-emerges farther down the hill.

If you ever visit the cascade on Cascade, the stream disappears underground before it gets to the lake.

There's another one in the Gunks where a stream disappears into Pompey's Cave. But I think this one is on PP.