Bushwhack Duo: Nancy (3926') & Vose Spur (3862') for 84/85 of NE 100

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikersinger

Reaction score
Route:
  • Nancy Pond Trail from Route 302, to junction with Mt. Nancy herd path, at Norcross Pond outlet (4.3mi, 2200ft gain)
  • Herd path up to Mt. Nancy summit (0.6mi, 750ft gain)
  • Herd path back down to Norcross Pond outlet (0.6mi -750ft)
  • Nancy Pond Trail to Carrigain Notch Trail junction (2.8mi, -1000ft)
  • Carrigain Notch Trail to common Vose Spur bushwhack start (2.3mi, about flat)
  • Vose Spur bushwhack (0.8mi, 1650ft gain) - 0.6mi to slide
  • Bushwhack back down (0.8mi, -1650ft)
  • Carrigain Notch Trail to Signal Ridge Trail junction (4.6mi, -500ft)
  • Signal Ridge Trail to spotted car (1.7mi, -500ft)
  • Totals: 17 miles, 5140' elevation gain, 9h10m elapsed time (roughly 8hr hiking time)

Photo Gallery: on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/erikbertrand/media_set?set=a.10153965764829567.1073741889.570654566&type=3

Strava GPS track (seemed to get "normalized" by Strava, so distance and other metrics are shorter as a result): https://www.strava.com/activities/1041828950

I'm in the final few months of my journey to hike the 100 highest Peaks in new England. Grouping them together where I could, I found I should be able to hit two particularly interesting peaks near enough to each other: Nancy and Vose Spur. Both are bushwhacks, and I jumped at the chance to at least sweep the south-eastern corner of the Pemigewasset Wildnerness.

My friend Mike, who I met on a joint expedition up to the Brothers in Baxter State Park this past Winter, and is working to complete his NE 100 as well, joined up to taken on this 17-mile almost-loop.

We spotted a car at the Signal Ridge trailhead off Sawyer River Road, then headed to the Nancy Pond trailhead on Route 302. The Nancy Pond trail would take us to the steep herd path that heads straight up Mt. Nancy, then we'd continue to its junction with the Carrigain Notch Trail, off which the Vose Spur bushwhack takes you very steeply up to the top of Vose Spur.

The day started overcast, but with pleasant temperatures it was a nice hike. Mosquitos were out in force, but we came prepared with a new repellent I've found works very well against bugs, even better than deet does: White Mountain Insect Repellent, sold by a local company in southern NH.

attachment.php

We made quick work of the easy to moderate grades up the first section of Nancy Pond trail to the Nancy Cascades: a stunning, 300-foot tall cascade unlike most anything in the Whites. Even just a simple hike to this point would be well worth the effort. The pool at the bottom of the main cascade was very inviting but we had lots of mileage ahead of us...

We continued up along the cascade, and eventually evened out to come upon the first of two beautiful ponds: first Nancy Pond, then Norcross Pond. The overcast skies began to yield to sun, but with fog still hanging in the air, the ponds were mystical to behold. Mosquitos swarmed especially hard in this area, but repeated application of the White Mountain repellent kept them well at bay.

We traveled along the northern edge of both ponds, and at the far end of Norcross Pond came upon the junction with the herd path that heads up to Nancy summit. The Nancy Pond trail turns left at this point, while the herd path starts off on the right. Taking that right turn, within about 200 feet you come to a fork, at which you head left to pick up the herd path in earnest. The path all the way to the top is pretty well-defined and easy to follow, if very steep in places. At only 0.6 miles, we reached the top pretty quick.

attachment.php

We'd thought the summit might be in the clouds, but skies cleared really nicely by this point, and we were rewarded with incredible views out to southern Presidentials, including Mount Washington. Stunning undercast skies were in play, too -- a not-too-common occurrence I felt very lucky to behold. We were really stoked to see that skies were clearing up; something that would be awesome for our second bushwhack of the day. We made really good time, too: just about two hours and almost five miles to this point.

... continued below ...

Attachments

• 20170617_150947-800wide.jpg
    20170617_150947-800wide.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 481
  • 20170617_144946-800wide.jpg
    20170617_144946-800wide.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 920
  • 20170617_103940-800wide.jpg
    20170617_103940-800wide.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 965
  • 20170617_091517-800wide.jpg
    20170617_091517-800wide.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 647
Last edited:
... continue from above ...

Knowing we had some mileage to go, we didn't dwell too long and started down picking up the Nancy Pond trail again. What had been misty around Norcross Pond before we took the herd path, was now completely clear, and we were able to look out across the Pemi Wilderness to the Bonds as we crossed over the western outlet of the pond.

The Nancy Pond trail continued its very gradual descent from here, to the point where it was nearly flat for a long stretch, until it reached its junction with the Carrigain Notch trail. It was very interesting to transition between three types of forest between the pond and the junction, as well as cross over at least two good-size streams. This half of the trail gets very little use, but it's well-maintained and was a delight to travel, with open woods and a sense that you're really heading into no-man's land -- more so that most areas of the Whites, which continue to see increased use every year.

At the junction with the Carrigain Notch trail, we saw our first fellow hiker of the day, heading deeper into the Pemi along the Carrigain Notch trail. We thought he was probably looping around to hike up Carrigain via the back side (Desolation Trail) since he had a very light pack on. We sat for a little while and had a good bite to eat, then we started up the Carrigain Notch trail along the east side of Vose.

Soon enough, we came upon the beginning of the bushwhack up Vose, at a point where a couple of birch logs lay on the ground in a sort-of "gate" formation. We hiked a bit farther, just 20-25 feet where the trail takes a right turn and comes upon the more obvious large rock sitting in the middle of the trail. We knew were were in the right place at this point, so we backtracked a bit and started in.

The Vose bushwhack is quite a bit less defined, pretty much from the very beginning. The common entrance at those birch logs leads you up a short gully drainage that isn't terrible, but also isn't very open. We decided to track right (north) out of the gully, working our way through slightly less dense forest. Things didn't get real steep for a little while, but the climb was moderate at times. We started noticing pink ribbons, something I'd seen on other NE 100 bushwhack peaks. I'm sure there are those who are for or against, and many indifferent; we decided to remove them, as they really do detract from the sense that you're on a true bushwhack. Mike felt much stronger about this than me, but I do agree: the list should have at least a couple whacks like Vose and Scar that don't have a well-trodden path at least some of the way, and require those all-important map+compass skills we should all know. What say you about this?

attachment.php

The climb became very steep for a ways -- and oh so cool to work through, for its challenge and sheer grade. We soon came out onto the open of the slide, a treeless swath of small boulders about 100 feet tall and several hundred feet wide. The skies had been clear for a while now, and we were treated to a clear view south toward Mt. Chocorua. But, while skies were clear above and all around the Whites, from Chocorua south, it was all undercast. Funny, it's usually the opposite: the mountains tend to be cloudy while the areas south are clear.

The temps were perfect and the views outstanding, but we had to keep moving. The general consensus route from here, exits the slide near the upper left corner, still with steep pitches. The ascent eases up a little as you reach the summit cone and, not surprisingly, more defined herd paths avail themselves as you approach the top. Still, there are a few of them, but the woods a little more open, and it's pretty obvious where you need to go. The paths seem to crest a high point, but they continue and you head right a little before veering left to come upon the summit.

The summit proper is tree-covered, with only a obstructed views out toward Carrigain. There's a "Vose" sign, made by a friend of mine in a similar design as Scar, plus a canister. The lawn chair is still there, but it was in its carrying case; we decided to leave it.

It's worth noting, you can find your way up Vose without having to scale anything that's particularly dangerous; the forest is dense enough that you can use trees and branches for leverage. Sure, the pitch is quite steep in places, but if you take your time and generally follow the right compass heading, you'll be good.

attachment.php

The hike out was largely uneventful, and we booked it pretty fast, partly because we were done and still energized by what turned out to be a great day -- but also because the mosquitos continued to be real nuisance. It felt awesome to have Vose in the bag; having done Scar Ridge, I would have a few more bushwhacks, but it's safe to say I had the toughest ones on the books.

Last edited: