I Got No Dog in This Fight

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These kinds of fights can happen if your not vigilant. I leash my dog and when encountering other dog's have a keen eye on the dog's. A gentleman at the rest area in Hooksett, had to shoot a larger dog the other day, that got loose from a parked car to attack his smaller dog. Just the other day, a large dog roaming free in his own yard, (always a mistake) came running out at me and my dog. I take the proactive approach and get right in their face, yelling no! back!! it rarely does not work. The crux of the problem is many people own dog's who just don't train them, they are basically left to their own devices.

Canine action on the Welch-Dickey Loop.

I assume these mutts were off leash when they mixed it up.

Maybe, maybe not - a leash is only so useful if the human holding it gets too close to the other dog - and I've seen dogs get tangled in the leashes, making it harder to separate them (not an argument against leashes, just to say you still need to keep your brain in drive while using one)

Not to mention... dogs on leash are at a disadvantage for a couple of reasons (at least):

First, a leash attaches them to you, making them automatically more protective
Second, a leash does not allow them to properly express body language and positioning
Third, a leash does not allow them the option of flight, leaving them with the option of fight

In my (admittedly limited 4 years/one dog) experience, off-leash dogs are less likely to get rough.

Tim

Not to mention... dogs on leash are at a disadvantage for a couple of reasons (at least):

First, a leash attaches them to you, making them automatically more protective
Second, a leash does not allow them to properly express body language and positioning
Third, a leash does not allow them the option of flight, leaving them with the option of fight

In my (admittedly limited 4 years/one dog) experience, off-leash dogs are less likely to get rough.

Tim

With all due respect, I'm forced to disagree with all the points you have made in regards to leashes. Regardless of being leashed or un-leashed, it comes down to training. My dog basis his actions on me, my tone and my commands. He is free to move about even on a leash. He also changes his posture and ears based on a situation, even on a leash. My dog, like many dog's tends to be reactive in nature. We encounter many dog's, 99% of them are great, thus, we rarely have issues. A few times, we have encountered aggressive dog's. In those cases my dog responds by returning barks or growls, but in every case, he turns and looks at me for guidance. If I feel he needs to, I will say get him! He has rebuffed dog's by defending himself.
Look, I'm no expert. Bud is my second dog and all my training is self taught. There are thousands of opinions on how to handle a dog. I think the key, is knowing your dog, spending a lot of time working with him and being very vigilant around other dog's.

OK, for the rest of us, there are times when dogs are at it when not being tied up is a benefit. I don't advocate it all the time, but as they wrestle about and circling, the leash can be at least a short-term hindrance. I've owned 4 dogs of all types over 25, and they were all different.

Also, as for a dog-fight on the trail, actually surprised it doesn't happen more often. I would say when you consider of # incidents off-trail, and the ratio to on, I'd think this would be more.

Hiked Whiteface and Passaconaway today, clockwise from Ferncroft. Met 16 dogs, some in pairs, most singles, all off-leash, all well-behaved, all with great social interaction with me and with Gryffin.

Tim