Quick question about Baldfaces

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a three day, two night backpacking trip coming up this weekend.
We're heading up to Mt Meader day 1, traversing the Baldface range on day 2 camping on the shoulder of Eastman, and head out Slippery Brook day 3.

I'm concerned about the weather.
They aren't predicting steady rain, but short and intense thunderstorms... mostly at night.
I'm mostly concerned about warnings that exist against hiking the Baldfaces when wet.
Does that warning apply only to the ledges between Bald Knob and the shelter, or is it a pretty blanket ruling about the entire range?
We won't be going up or down the tricky section with our packs... so I'm hoping that the rest of the trail isn't too challenging when wet.

Oh... and the White Mountain guide alludes to a couple of "tricky scrambles" around Eagle Crag... but I've not seen anything like that mentioned in anyone's trip report, so I'm curious if it's exaggerated.

Thanks much.

Does that warning apply only to the ledges between Bald Knob and the shelter

The steep ledges that most refer to aren't directly between Baldface Knob and the shelter. They are from South Baldface's bare northeast ridge to the shelter. I would most definitely NOT recommend going in either direction on these ledges if wet. There are also some steep scrambles coming down from North Baldface (in the direction you are going). In general, that ridge isn't a great place to be if thunderstorms appear. There is a lot of exposure. Slippery Brook Trail would be the safest stretch along your route in bad weather.

Short steep section descending North Baldface heading south. I had no problem ascending on a dry day.
IMG_0105.jpg

Sorry that's sideways. It's right side up in my folder.

Thanks everyone for the advice. My gut instinct and weather forecasts made me decide to save the Baldfaces for a different day.
We chose to go out to Western Mass, and spent 3 days out on the Taconic Range... which was an absolutely wonderful experience (I'll do a trip report, as there was plenty to write about... especially Timber Rattlers).

That said... did anyone decide to go to NH this weekend, and have their tent float away?