rogers rock trail?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy

Reaction score
Anybody have any info on a hiking trail to the summit of Rogers Rock, Lake George.

Anybody have any info on a hiking trail to the summit of Rogers Rock, Lake George.
There is a trail from the campground immediately to the South. According to my 1989 edition of the guide to the Adirondack Trails: Eastern Region, it leaves from campsite 184. (I suggest that you check a more recent version.) IIRC, he trail has steep spots. https://www.google.com/#q=Roger's+rock+trail+NY may give more details.

There is also a system of trails from the N, but I don't know if it is open to the general public.

There are technical routes up the face, but you will need a boat to access them (or you can rappel down from the top).

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Doug, there does not seem to be any official trails except through private property. I'll perhaps follow the route described by "offonadventure". I was considering canoeing from Bolton Landing to the Southern tip of Tongue Mountain and hiking the ridge trail. I only have time to do one or the other. Anybody recommend one Hike over the other?

Thanks for the info Doug, there does not seem to be any official trails except through private property. I'll perhaps follow the route described by "offonadventure". I was considering canoeing from Bolton Landing to the Southern tip of Tongue Mountain and hiking the ridge trail. I only have time to do one or the other. Anybody recommend one Hike over the other?
Re Roger's Rock:
I believe the trail from the campground is open to the public (although there may be a day-use fee for parking at the campground). I have one map that shows it*--it is not shown on USGS topos. It doesn't appear to be well publicized...

* Map: The Adirondacks, Lake George Region, copyright 1984, Plinth, Quoin & Cornice Associates, Bernard R. Miller - W Craig Allen, Keene Valley, New York, 12943. (This map looks green and blue from a distance. I got mine at the Silver Bay Store on Rte 9N (Silver Bay, NY). Don't know where else one might find it or if it is still available. Shows the trail on Rogers Rock as well as the trails on Tongue Mtn.)

I have hiked it both from the campground and from an access point behind a farm stand (on Rte 9N) to the northern trails. The farm stand entrance is on private property.

Both routes take a few hours to a half day.

(Other maps also show a trail from the Windmill Point area (to the N) accessed via Baldwin Rd, but I know nothing about it.)

A trip report showing a map of the trail: http://www.offonadventure.com/2015/01/rogers-rock-lake-george-wild-forest.html

Re Tongue Mtn:
I have hiked several of the trails on Tongue Mtn, but not all the way to Montcalm Point (which I hear is nice). There are two (land) access points on Rte 9N--the N trailhead and the Clay Meadow (S) trailhead. You can easily do a full day. With just a single car, you can do a nice loop along the Northwest Bay trail and part of the ridge or an out and back from either trailhead. The trails are shown on the USGS topos and there is lots of info online.

My guess is that you will prefer Tongue Mtn over Rogers Rock. Both are covered in the Guide to the Adirondack Trails: Eastern Region--I suggest that you pick up a copy.

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks again Doug for your very helpful info. I will take your advice and pick up the recommended trail guide. Steve Z

Thanks again Doug for your very helpful info. I will take your advice and pick up the recommended trail guide. Steve Z

It begins in one of campgrounds (was the campground number in the 150's?)

If you ask the rangers where it is, they will not cease to discourage you. They just won't stop... my impression is that they don't want to go up there if someone needs assistance...

As I recall, there are large sections of smooth rock which become interesting/tricky/treacherous depending on your footwear and cartilage. However, I may have encountered these rocks because I went off trail.